Wifi to neighbours

Obelix

I have an adsl line and a smc wifi AP (2804wbr - it has two little antenna's)

I'd like to share my internet connection with the rest of my neighbours.
I'm right on the edge of the suburb, so what kind of antenna would i need? I need to cover about a 120 degree arc and no more than 50 meters line of sight.

oh, and im not crossing any roads, public or otherwise.

Obelix

Razer0

Expert Member
I think the borderline of your property counts aswell Obelix..
But who cares anyway ;)

Viva La Telkom Resistaance!

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
I say do it
When last did you see Telkom police? or ICASA police?

If ICASA do come round, deny everything. Say your neighbours pay you for mowing their lawns and that they must have hacked into your wifi network. Besides, if ICASA did come round, they'd setup a panel to draft a court order, then get scared and decide they are being too harsh and let you get away with it (just like Telkom).

Goodluck!

Obelix

pay ? - i intend giving it to them free of charge. I even have the wireless cards for them to use already.

Obelix

Where is BDT when you need him. I still need to know about the antenna. I'll worry about the logistics later. If push comes to shove then i'll consider uncapped. Right now though its a non-issue.

Obelix

lewstherin

You probably want to look at either an outdoor 9dBi omni or consider a 120 degree sector. The sector will probably be overkill though.
You will also need some LMR400 cabling, plus a N(m) connector on one end - plugs into the antenna - and an SMA connector on the other end to plug into the SMC AP.

Check out www.miro.co.za and www.dbg.co.za, they stock this stuff.

If you are in Durban, I suggest contacting Anthon at WS - www.ws.co.za.
Anthon retails Poynting products.

daffy

Expert Member
Uniterm Direct has a 120degree 14dbi sector, which will do the job very very well.
I installed 2 of them today, and had a few clients connecting to them with no problems from over 3km's away (the clients had 18dbi flat panels, but for less than 1km a 13dbi will do)

Call me in the morning... Contact details are on www.dbg.co.za

WickedWeasel

Hi,

I have access to over 2 mb of int bandwidth at night and have shared this via a wireless link to many of my neighbours.

They have been using and are getting awesome speeds.

PS. Ausi create choclate with wasabi in the middle !

Robone

What software do you use to cap their downloading or restrict their use.

This is exactly what I want to do, and also provide access for anyone who is walking past my house and has a laptop handy.

I probably have about 50 mb a night to share, but I wouldn't want some bandwidth hog to steal the lot in one day.

Wouldn't it be great if you could flood the whole of joburg with free internet access. This will bring down the pricing of broadband in this country.

Wickedweasel, how did you tell your neighbours about what you are doing?

Last edited:

troll-op

Daffy that might be a nice idea, but I have now emailed lemon on 18/02, phoned him on his cell on 21/02, have emailed encrypted on 22/02…. I’m still waiting on a reply from either of them. :(
I’m on top of a hill, with a view of the Magaliesburg and PTA on a clear day. I thought Jawug was looking for backbone or transnodes … obviously the request was not meant to be taken seriously.

I made the offer attempt thrice… What’s the saying, 3 strikes you’re out. :rolleyes: I’m going the same route as Obelix, share to my neighbours, forget the rest.

Robone

Okay, I can understand joining Jawug for gaming etc., but how does that allow you to share your bandwidth.

daffy

Expert Member
troll-op, you should email admin@jawug.za.net.
We've been incredibly busy lately with our respective jobs. (Time for a holiday for all of us)
All 3 of us check the admin address, and I'll most likely get back to you before the others will...

Robone, joining jawug puts you on the same network as all the other jawug users. From there its a matter of routing if you would like others to be able to use your bandwidth.
You can:
1) Set it up so that anyone can use your bandwidth
2) Make agreements with certain people on Jawug, and only they will be able to use your bandwidth.

troll-op

i'm just below the sendreck's tower... if it was to keel over my place would probably not be the best area to be in.

daffy, gotcha, i'll msg you ladda. :)

freeek

Expert Member
im connected to my neighbour hence getting my adsl. Its my neighbour from the next road (behind my house 2 the right). Simply he has a crappy little asus 11mb AP, those R300-R400 ones. Its in his window upstairs. I have the expensive hardware! I got something similiar to uninet and wireless onlines gear. I get a 80% signal quality and 69% if its inside. Its basically a outdoor combo from miro.

For you, you will need to setup a omni antenae must be high up with a 54mb AP (+-R3000 for the setup) the clients will need a 13dbi flat panel with enclosures with a 11mb AP. Prefable products are sano. go2 miro they are pretty helpful they even have software which will do wat you want.

Razer0

Expert Member
freeek please indicate what your pings are like? Sentech have crappy pings (of late) because its wireless, hence yours should be too? Or do you have the same dsl pings because of the hardware that you use?