Wifi without telkom landline

I am moving into a new home and am considering getting a telkom line for wifi access but not sure if I need it. Currently we do have a telkom line. Do I need one and what are the alternatives if you don't have a landline? Also should I get DSTV or are there alternatives as we are getting a smart tv? Currently have DSTV and it's just ok.

Lupus

Honorary Master
No you don't need a Telkom landline for wi-fi. All you need is a wi-fi capable router, what you require is an internet connection of sorts, this could be LTE, ADSL, Fibre, Neotel etc... You'd need to see what is available in your area.
A smart TV requires access to the internet to get it's content, this could be via Showmax, Netflix or any other streaming service, it won't work without the internet. I suppose you could plug media in via the USB ports on the side, or use the network to stream off local storage of sorts. So if you don't have the internet you will probably require DSTV.

JoR

Hi, could you please advise if the above information is still valid at current date . Feb 2019.

mister

Executive Member
There's still a lot of confusion between WiFi access and Internet access.

WiFi ≠ Internet
A longer explanation:

• Wifi is a way to get internet to a device.
  • Another way to get internet to a device is with a LAN cable.

Before you can use Wifi you need internet.

Ways of getting internet include:
  • ADSL on a Telkom Line
  • Fiber
  • LTE/3G
  • Others

signates

Expert Member
A longer explanation:

• Wifi is a way to get internet to a device.
  • Another way to get internet to a device is with a LAN cable.

Before you can use Wifi you need internet.

Ways of getting internet include:
  • ADSL on a Telkom Line
  • Fiber
  • LTE/3G
  • Others
You can use WiFi with or without Internet.

WiFi is a means to connect to a network. This network can or cannot be connected to the Internet. The same for a LAN cable connection.