WIFI working on MAC & Mobile but not PC. Have I gone mad?

robblack

Same "automatically detect proxy settings" issue here, was called out to a local butchery this morning, emails kept coming in and I could ping sites, but nothing opens in a browser (apart from local connected devices - router, printer, cctv works fine). Static IP, default gateway and DNS all correct.

Browsers (Chrome, Edge, IE) would give 404 or invalid proxy settings error.

Removed auto detect proxy settings and everything works fine.

I'm curious, why today what changed? Default windows setting is auto detect, machine ran fine with auto for the last 6 months.
Sorry for the late reply. Line went down completely again. Honestly I have no idea what changed. It was working I went to bed, I woke it and it just would not connect.

robblack

What’s a hard reset versus what you were doing before ?
So instead of just turning it on and off I wiped the router by holding is the reset now button with a pin head. It did seem to work but alas we're now back to having almost no connectivity. ISP and Telkom just point fingers at each other.

robblack

Isn’t this the issue related to the latest Windows 10 update breaking the internet maybe?

Certainly sounds like it.
No clue, I'll leave that to our more learned members to answer. Very out of my depth here

robblack

probably a reboot

ive seen that yesterday, sometimes it shows some random proxy address(it shows an IP address) error. thought it was a wpad(windows proxy auto discovery) attack.. is it??! :eek: lol
I do hope its not!

robblack

Doubt it’s an attack.

It all sounds suspiciously like the last Windows 10 update that broke the internet for so many people.

Would explain why it’s all happened at the same time as well.
Does sound plausible. Heck maybe China and Microsoft are in it together and this is a massive Firesale

Grouter

Expert Member
So instead of just turning it on and off I wiped the router by holding is the reset now button with a pin head. It did seem to work but alas we're now back to having almost no connectivity. ISP and Telkom just point fingers at each other.
Well now it is reset to factory defaults. You'll have to log in to the router and re-instate all your username, password, etc.

Leno

Expert Member
Well now it is reset to factory defaults. You'll have to log in to the router and re-instate all your username, password, etc.
Afrihost often use DHCP on FTTH which the routers they send out default to I think

Not sure which FNO OP is on though

Edit: oops I see telkom now so it would be pppoe

Grouter

Expert Member
Afrihost often use DHCP on FTTH which the routers they send out default to I think

Not sure which FNO OP is on though

Edit: oops I see telkom now so it would be pppoe
Well, the post is under ADSL discussions, so I'm assuming it's not a fibre line we're talking about.

robblack

Done that, worked for a bit then went back to being wonky just turned off the automatic proxy thing. Worked like a charm