Wifi works on cellphones but not on 2 pc's

fossil

I have a odd problem that appeared about a month ago. In total there are 3 phones,1 pc and 1 laptop connected to the router at home. All the phones work fine off the wifi but the pc and laptop barely can open a webpage. Speed tests max out at around 0.4mbps(pc/laptop) on a 8mb line. I have tried connecting them via wifi and ethernet cable with the same result. Although torrents download at max speed when tested on both the laptop and pc. Any idea what may be going on?

overit

Very broad, so forgive me if the advice below does not help. Sometimes the moron is stronk with me. For below, I am assuming you on win10.

Have you updated the network drivers for the devices giving the issues? Or the network cards themselves need replacing?

See if there isn't a hardware issue like the RAM or thrashing CPU. When you open a web page on the pc open a bunch of tabs on random websites, ie tubes, FB, search result, open the task manager, check which processes are running and what they are using. You might need hardware upgrades.

Network - Right-click start, go to Network Connections. Run troubleshooter, if that doesn't help, go back to network connections, then reset the network.(bottom option)

Lastly, maybe change the DNS to Cloudflare Link

Wifi issue stand alone:

https://internet-access-guide.com/internet-slow-on-laptop-but-not-on-phone/ Try going through that guide. Also, does the router have two different channels you can choose from 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, so that you can split the devices accordingly?

"A 2.4 GHz connection travels farther at lower speeds, while 5 GHz frequencies provide faster speeds at shorter range." - source google.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Sounds almost like a DNS issue except for the speedtest part.

Torrents connect to peers with IP addresses. Try looking at a DNS issue or manually force a different DNS to see if the issue is resolved.

fossil

Sounds almost like a DNS issue except for the speedtest part.

Torrents connect to peers with IP addresses. Try looking at a DNS issue or manually force a different DNS to see if the issue is resolved.
I use my phone as a hotspot and everything is fine. Using 2 different routers speeds still slow on pc and laptop. Could it still be a DNS issue?

furpile

Expert Member
Could it be MTU related? Try setting a smaller MTU size on your router maybe?