WII Homebrew - FANTASTIC :)

snugam

I've had my WII for around a year now; today and yesterday I've been efforting to get the WII Homebrew channel going and I managed to do so with not too much effort or problems.

I just want to mention that I am particulalry impressed with the added functionality. I havn't even tried everything available - but I will soon.

My WII is not chipped/modded and it still works 100 % with menu version 4.0E

GO HOMEBREW! :D
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

Last edited:

maestro_za

Expert Member
Hi Guys ....New to the wii, what is HOMEBREW :eek:

A method to soft-mod (modify the system software) to run unsigned code.

Emulators, DVD playback, media playback (divx/xvid) and to run backup games *cough* pirate games *cough*.

You need a SD card and the ability to follow a tutorial to the T. Bricking your Wii is no fun at all ...

JvanD

Expert Member
Homebrew refferes to pirated software / consoles ... not cool.

This is frowned upon ...

What makes you think that you can safely advertise here that it can be done?

U looking for trouble - same with those Bruma Vendors that got taken away.

Retro

Homebrew refferes to pirated software / consoles ... not cool.

This is frowned upon ...

What makes you think that you can safely advertise here that it can be done?

U looking for trouble - same with those Bruma Vendors that got taken away.

Not true. If it was for the Xbox, I would agree, cause apart from pirating games you don't get other functionality out of it. But for the Wii, the softmod lets you play media from a usb drive / memory stick, dvd's, emulators etc. Things that you can't do on a standard Wii.

JvanD

Expert Member
And you would be able to play so called "backup copies" on the hombrew modded WII?

That part is illegal ... . Same goes for the gent advertising his shop in PTA.

Quickflowit.co.za: Professional game console repairs/sales ?????

Seriously WTF dude ... U should know better, it takes 1 person to rat and you'll be left with zip and law suits will be comming in from all directions ...

As for emulators ... do you own legal copies of these roms? Either on an old console e.g Gamecube, TurboGrafx, Snes, Nes, Megadrive?

Retro

And you would be able to play so called "backup copies" on the hombrew modded WII?

That part is illegal ... . Same goes for the gent advertising his shop in PTA.

Quickflowit.co.za: Professional game console repairs/sales ?????

Seriously WTF dude ... U should know better, it takes 1 person to rat and you'll be left with zip and law suits will be comming in from all directions ...

As for emulators ... do you own legal copies of these roms? Either on an old console e.g Gamecube, TurboGrafx, Snes, Nes, Megadrive?

What's illegal about him advertising his shop? He does repairs and sales, not selling of pirated games.

JvanD

Expert Member
Selling products and services to the consumer to enable them or yourself to mod your XBOX 360 console to play so called backup games is illegal .... last time I checked.
Dont get me wrong ... I quote from the site ...

Xbox 360 Firmware Mod .... What is this used for? Its to play pirated games, no other functionallity is unlocked for the XBOX by firmware update, chip update etc.

Only to play pirated games .... u dig?

Retro

Selling products and services to the consumer to enable them or yourself to mod your XBOX 360 console to play so called backup games is illegal .... last time I checked.

Maybe you should check again, it's not illegal. The pirated games are, but not just modding the console.

JvanD

Expert Member
What you're saying is you can have a meth factory at your house and its okay .... just as long as you aint selling the stuff?
Its the same thing ...

Rendering a service that flashes XBOX 360 and WII is illegal ... I have seen plently of folks go down ....

What do you think a JTAG hack is and what do you think its used for? I have been involved in numerous investigations and you are wrong my friend.

You could do less than this to get locked up.

Last edited:

maestro_za

Expert Member
What you're saying is you can have a meth factory at your house and its okay .... just as long as you aint selling the stuff?
Its the same thing ...

Rendering a service that flashes XBOX 360 and WII is illegal ... I have seen plently of folks go down ....

What do you think a JTAG hack is and what do you think its used for? I have been involved in numerous investigations and you are wrong my friend.

You could do less than this to get locked up.

Hi

I see you're on a big trip which is fine!

Unlike a fleamarket, my business is registered and I pay taxes.

So you think I don't know that people go to flea markets after a modification and buy pirated games or download ISOs themselves? As you're fully aware, the installation of a mod-chip or custom firmware is not illegal in South Africa. I can advertise and do such installations at a fee.

I've never and will never sell or make backup games available to the general public. Flea markets and China shops are around that do that.

My business is no different than Planet Gaming, Defcon 5, Velusion Electronics, Playstationgoods, Play-IT and other retail and home business that offer repairs and modifications to the public in SA, the world over.

Every month I spend well over R10k to import replacement parts needed to effect repairs of PS3, Xbox 360 consoles which I deal with on a daily basis. I have a solid reputation and a relationship not only with this forum but the official PS3 and Xbox 360 forums where I help individuals with repairs of their machines.

I must admit that Nintendo Wii repairs have slowed down recently. My guess is that people aren't spending 10+ hours playing hard on that platform. I do repair issues when needed though!

The fact that I diversify my income by offering various modification services is a decision I took by consulting the law first and speaking to other businesses in the industry. I have a lawyer as well, he informed me that as long as I stay away from making backup games available (which I will never do) I'm fine to operate.

Equating me with Bruma vendors who blatantly modify consoles to sell pirate games they mass produce is an insult! I'm no flea market pirate :mad:

Oh BTW, I heard that there are vendors still operating in Bruma and Boksburg flea markets. Just a heads up.

And while you at it, please have Cybergames.co.za, Gamehunt.co.za, Witchgames.co.za, Dotgames.co.za and Cybermedia.co.za to name a few -- investigated as they're clearly selling backup games to the public with blatant disregard of the law.

And also explaining to someone on a forum what homebrew or softmodding is not illegal either. The info is freely available from doing a search on Google.

My own Wii is soft-modded as it once was a Japan NTSC-J console that I imported as I wasnt going to spend the R3k+ the Wii retailed for at one stage. It's now region changed (NTSC-J to PAL) so that I can play locally available PAL games ... retail versions that I pay hard earned cash for.

Where people get it twisted is playing copies of copyrighted material. Doing that is an issue and of course doing so means you have to deal with your own conscience and the law for that matter!

My 0.02c

Last edited:

zeridine

right on maestro. :)

i guess its like saying car salesmen are also breaking the law since they provide a service where you can obtain a motor vehicle, which if used incorrectly, you would break the law (since we are using the smirky analogy of a home meth lab to firmware modding) hahaLOLfail.

JvanD

Expert Member
Hi

I see you're on a big trip which is fine!

Unlike a fleamarket, my business is registered and I pay taxes.

So you think I don't know that people go to flea markets after a modification and buy pirated games or download ISOs themselves? As you're fully aware, the installation of a mod-chip or custom firmware is not illegal in South Africa. I can advertise and do such installations at a fee.

I've never and will never sell or make backup games available to the general public. Flea markets and China shops are around that do that.

My business is no different than Planet Gaming, Defcon 5, Velusion Electronics, Playstationgoods, Play-IT and other retail and home business that offer repairs and modifications to the public in SA, the world over.

Every month I spend well over R10k to import replacement parts needed to effect repairs of PS3, Xbox 360 consoles which I deal with on a daily basis. I have a solid reputation and a relationship not only with this forum but the official PS3 and Xbox 360 forums where I help individuals with repairs of their machines.

I must admit that Nintendo Wii repairs have slowed down recently. My guess is that people aren't spending 10+ hours playing hard on that platform. I do repair issues when needed though!

The fact that I diversify my income by offering various modification services is a decision I took by consulting the law first and speaking to other businesses in the industry. I have a lawyer as well, he informed me that as long as I stay away from making backup games available (which I will never do) I'm fine to operate.

Equating me with Bruma vendors who blatantly modify consoles to sell pirate games they mass produce is an insult! I'm no flea market pirate :mad:

Oh BTW, I heard that there are vendors still operating in Bruma and Boksburg flea markets. Just a heads up.

And while you at it, please have Cybergames.co.za, Gamehunt.co.za, Witchgames.co.za, Dotgames.co.za and Cybermedia.co.za to name a few -- investigated as they're clearly selling backup games to the public with blatant disregard of the law.

And also explaining to someone on a forum what homebrew or softmodding is not illegal either. The info is freely available from doing a search on Google.

My own Wii is soft-modded as it once was a Japan NTSC-J console that I imported as I wasnt going to spend the R3k+ the Wii retailed for at one stage. It's now region changed (NTSC-J to PAL) so that I can play locally available PAL games ... retail versions that I pay hard earned cash for.

Where people get it twisted is playing copies of copyrighted material. Doing that is an issue and of course doing so means you have to deal with your own conscience and the law for that matter!

My 0.02c

I have had mates that had trouble with this sort of thing in the past. I am glad that you had legal advice before moving into your venture and that its profitable. I do agree - modding in itself poses no direct harm but indirectly folks are exploiting their consoles to the detrement of the gamining industry.

I realize that you can't do anything about it .... Its a thin line ...

"Equating me with Bruma vendors who blatantly modify consoles to sell pirate games they mass produce is an insult! I'm no flea market pirate"

My apologies - My bad however can't recall that I said you are a Flea market Pirate of the sorts. Luckily you consulted a legal rep before venturing into your business of choice. If I offended you - once again my apologies .... I really do care for my fellow human and would not like to see anyone being burned for something like illegal game selling of the sorts etc.
Glad to see someone thought it out before sticking his or her neck out there and that you know your rights. People often venture out into the big world without thinking things through - kudos on that :)

Yes I am aware of the following: Cybergames.co.za, Gamehunt.co.za, Witchgames.co.za, Dotgames.co.za and Cybermedia.co.za and thesourceltd.com should be looked at - we should arrange something to that effect.

It sounds like you are doing your fellow man a service. ;)

Can't say that there is never any action on here .....

Respect & take it easy :cool:

Last edited:

JvanD

Expert Member
right on maestro. :)

i guess its like saying car salesmen are also breaking the law since they provide a service where you can obtain a motor vehicle, which if used incorrectly, you would break the law (since we are using the smirky analogy of a home meth lab to firmware modding) hahaLOLfail.

I thought it was funny as hell ... :):):) .... at the time :whistling:

maestro_za

Expert Member
I have had mates that had trouble with this sort of thing in the past. I am glad that you had legal advice before moving into your venture and that its profitable. I do agree - modding in itself poses no direct harm but indirectly folks are exploiting their consoles to the detrement of the gamining industry.

I realize that you can't do anything about it .... Its a thin line ...

"Equating me with Bruma vendors who blatantly modify consoles to sell pirate games they mass produce is an insult! I'm no flea market pirate"

My apologies - My bad however can't recall that I said you are a Flea market Pirate of the sorts. Luckily you consulted a legal rep before venturing into your business of choice. If I offended you - once again my apologies .... I really do care for my fellow human and would not like to see anyone being burned for something like illegal game selling of the sorts etc.
Glad to see someone thought it out before sticking his or her neck out there and that you know your rights. People often venture out into the big world without thinking things through - kudos on that :)

Yes I am aware of the following: Cybergames.co.za, Gamehunt.co.za, Witchgames.co.za, Dotgames.co.za and Cybermedia.co.za and thesourceltd.com should be looked at - we should arrange something to that effect.

It sounds like you are doing your fellow man a service. ;)

Can't say that there is never any action on here .....

Respect & take it easy :cool:
Hi

No problem mate. Just thought I'd let you know that allot of research and investment went into my chosen profession. It's not for a quick buck or to indulge in illegal activities i.e. copyright infringement.

I do get flack from people on this forum, others and 'off-line' for the fact that I do console modifications that have ramifications in that it aids piracy by individuals. However, selling a service and making a living cannot be linked to individuals that makes the choice of only playing pirated games on their consoles and not supporting the gaming industry.

I do think that game sales stats prove that an overwhelming majority of people, including myself, buy legitimate games. Not saying that piracy doesn't make an impact, but in the grand scheme of things people who play backup games weren't going to buy the original in the first place.

It's a grey area in many respects but it won't stop myself or other business enterprises from being in the legitimate game console service industry.

I think that by offering a warranty on my work, sell quality products and services and making sure I work within the parametres of the law that my business will make a positive impact on SA.

I've started with gaming consoles but plan to expand into other electronics as time goes on. Details will remain 'top secret' until I have the relevant capacity to launch :D

Cheers

JvanD

Expert Member
Hi

No problem mate. Just thought I'd let you know that allot of research and investment went into my chosen profession. It's not for a quick buck or to indulge in illegal activities i.e. copyright infringement.

I do get flack from people on this forum, others and 'off-line' for the fact that I do console modifications that have ramifications in that it aids piracy by individuals. However, selling a service and making a living cannot be linked to individuals that makes the choice of only playing pirated games on their consoles and not supporting the gaming industry.

I do think that game sales stats prove that an overwhelming majority of people, including myself, buy legitimate games. Not saying that piracy doesn't make an impact, but in the grand scheme of things people who play backup games weren't going to buy the original in the first place.

It's a grey area in many respects but it won't stop myself or other business enterprises from being in the legitimate game console service industry.

I think that by offering a warranty on my work, sell quality products and services and making sure I work within the parametres of the law that my business will make a positive impact on SA.

I've started with gaming consoles but plan to expand into other electronics as time goes on. Details will remain 'top secret' until I have the relevant capacity to launch :D

Cheers

+1

Yup there is ussually no after sales support offered by these Bruma Market Place specials ... or Chinese equivelants ... They make a quick buck and dissapear .... As for backups I dont have a problem with that - afterall you dont want your orginals to be damaged as they are way too expensive for that.
I think that much is legit .... provided that you own the game.

If people didnt like piracy why offer them DVD's or CD's to burn in the first place? Its really like "cleavage day" ... women dont want to be reffered to as sex objects and yet some of them take part in "cleavage day" .... The human race is certainly strange in that respect.

Back to Homebrew ... I have several bioses from old 1st generation consoles (of which i own). Its really fantastic to play some of the old titles on the newer consoles .... the PS3 makes provision for that and the first xbox that I imported as well.

Wish Sega would make a 3rd or even 4th generation console - I used to love their platform games ... If there was a movie, there was a game ... nowadays you have great graphics but no story line .... Even the SNES and NES was awesome.

Just a bit of trivia for you ... Can you remeber the Golden China 8 bit game systems ... U know the NES? You used to buy like 100 in 1 and 10 000 in 1 etc titles on the cartidges? That was also piracy ... we just didn't know it.

Nintendo never release more than 1 game on a cartridge ...

I was an 80's child and I loved arcade games. This is why I love homebrew.

What else can you do with the WII?

Last edited:

maestro_za

Expert Member
+1

Yup there is ussually no after sales support offered by these Bruma Market Place specials ... or Chinese equivelants ... They make a quick buck and dissapear .... As for backups I dont have a problem with that - afterall you dont want your orginals to be damaged as they are way too expensive for that.
I think that much is legit .... provided that you own the game.

If people didnt like piracy why offer them DVD's or CD's to burn in the first place? Its really like "cleavage day" ... women dont want to be reffered to as sex objects and yet some of them take part in "cleavage day" .... The human race is certainly strange in that respect.

Back to Homebrew ... I have several bioses from old 1st generation consoles (of which i own). Its really fantastic to play some of the old titles on the newer consoles .... the PS3 makes provision for that and the first xbox that I imported as well.

Wish Sega would make a 3rd or even 4th generation console - I used to love their platform games ... If there was a movie, there was a game ... nowadays you have great graphics but no story line .... Even the SNES and NES was awesome.

Just a bit of trivia for you ... Can you remeber the Golden China 8 bit game systems ... U know the NES? You used to buy like 100 in 1 and 10 000 in 1 etc titles on the cartidges? That was also piracy ... we just didn't know it.

Nintendo never release more than 1 game on a cartridge ...

I was an 80's child and I loved arcade games. This is why I love homebrew.

What else can you do with the WII?
Hey

I remember the Golden China. Had one as a child and my parents had to buy a cartridge every month for me.

I know now that it was piracy but it seems that Nintendo never officially launched the NES or SNES in SA. Official distribution was SEGA products (Genesis and Mega Drive) but it was far too expensive ... at least for my parents :crying:

My first official console was the PS1 and N64 which I bought with my own money from working as a casual at retail stores. Fun times!

In terms of the Wii, as mentioned before, soft modding is essentially running a modified system menu.

The Wii works with channels, so the softmod means you load the various apps from its own channel on the interface.

The Wii cannot natively play DVD movies (Nintendo were cheap and didn''t want to 'push' the price up of the console by paying the DVD consortium for the codec). Homebrew programmers built applications for DVD playback as well as the ability to play dixx/xvid content off a SD card.

Emulators, despite the legal ramifications, allows you to play NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Commodore 64, Amiga, PS1 and ROMs of other older platforms.

You can install custom themes that gives a new look and feel from the standard dashboard. I personally haven't installed a theme yet but will play around with it in time.

Then of course there world of backup gaming. Theres a USB Loader channel, so that you can rip your games to an external HDD and play the images off there, Gamecube backup launcher for GC games off disc, Wii backup launcher for Wii games off disc as well as GeckoOS to make your Wii region free - if the program supports it you can load legitimate import games from North America and Japan on your PAL console as an example.

GeckoOS and USB Loader is what I have installed. I'll have a look at the other homebrew apps in the months to come.

There is Linux support for the Wii and you can install apps for that, a dolphin emulator app that can be installed on your PC that allows you to play a selection of Wii games in HD should you have the correct spec PC.

Thats really the tip of the iceberg in terms of the Wii softmod.

JvanD

Expert Member
Yeah my old man was a cop back in the day and he never knew about it being piracy ... I told him a while ago and he was quite amused. Funny as hell.

Sega was too expensive for my folks too - thats maybe why i still love playing the old games ... Sonic the Hedgehog till this day .... I used to love Moonwalker the game as well. Alex the kid, Afterburner, Robocop and Splatterhouse to name a few ... Good times man, makes me remeber and takes me back to a good time in my life.

Nice, I have managed to emulate NeoGeo, NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, Sega 32x, Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore, Gameboy Advanced, TurboGraphx, Playstation 1 and 2, ZX Specture and XBOX and a few others on various console platforms.

Yup - its sure is interresting and keeps us out of trouble and is quite entertaining.

About the region locking its really crappy on some of the consoles as we never get to see some quality titles that should have made it ashore.

I believe you can play console / mame or roms with the JTAG on the XBOX ...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Homebrew is awesome, I use my wii as a media player. You could use it to play pirated games but I have not, I installed it because of the innovation that it allows. Its like an open source wii !