Wikileak's Julian Assange files spying charges against US

Bern

Expert Member
Shame. Give it up you iiot

Really? As much as he has not been perfect he has done a MASSIVE amount to shed light on the dodgy dealings of governments and large corporates. Then with more recent revelations on the NSA etc you think it is bad for him to take up action against the US spying illegally?

I don't care so much for him, but I am glad for any action to try get more transparency from governments in general. There is a worrying trend of democratic governments becoming more secretive and acting like they own a country, rather than serve the people.

Beri

Expert Member
Really? As much as he has not been perfect he has done a MASSIVE amount to shed light on the dodgy dealings of governments and large corporates. Then with more recent revelations on the NSA etc you think it is bad for him to take up action against the US spying illegally?

I don't care so much for him, but I am glad for any action to try get more transparency from governments in general. There is a worrying trend of democratic governments becoming more secretive and acting like they own a country, rather than serve the people.

Do you really think that there is no spying going on all over the world. We all know this. Why are we shocked when someone calls it.
If you have nothing to hide who cares.

cymax

Do you really think that there is no spying going on all over the world. We all know this. Why are we shocked when someone calls it.

Just because it does not affect you does not mean it does not affect someone else. It is about abuse of power. We should be exposing spying to limit its abuse.

Beri

Expert Member
Just because it does not affect you does not mean it does not affect someone else. It is about abuse of power. We should be exposing spying to limit its abuse.

And when they bomb the crap out of some place you all cry and ask why it was not prevented.

Bern

Expert Member

Just because I am not doing anything wrong does not want me to be spied on continuously. There is a huge problem with false positives with pervasive surveillance and loads of evidence to support this.

Something to think about, I am doing nothing wrong when I am taking a dump, but I don't exactly want anyone to be able to watch me doing it.

Lastly when someone you know gets arrested or shot due to a false positive I am pretty sure you will change your tune very quickly. Take the blinkers off and look at what this kind of thing can lead to, specifically those supposedly serving the public and how they can use this to control people.

Unfortunately the internet starting swinging power back to the average person, but with this type of thing happening power is getting concentrated back to a small group of elite again.

Put it this way, surveillance itself is not the problem, but how, when and why it can be done. There needs to be an open process with enough checks and balances for this kind of thing to not be abused. Those currently do not seem to be in place.