WikiLeaks wins battle against Visa and MasterCard in Iceland

Gambit

Expert Member
$6000 a day fine is nothing for these companies. They might just continue blocking and pay the fine instead. I suppose wikileaks doesn't get the fine money so they will still be screwed.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Well done!

What mastercard and visa did was douche. Who are they to tell you what politics you should be involved in.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
and how much money are they likely to really get from such a small country like Iceland?

It's a pyrrhic victory

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Well done!

What mastercard and visa did was douche. Who are they to tell you what politics you should be involved in.

They don't tell you - Visa/Mastercard's customers did. Visa/Mastercard feared a boycott from large companies that got Wikileak'd (I seem to remember them being threatened about it), so took evasive action. This way, they can continue to process payments, Wikileaks can get their money, and Visa/Mastercard can say "hey, we tried to block them, but you read the news? We were forced to unblock them".

Everyone wins! Except Bafana Bafana. You can bet they'll continue losing.

ponder

Honorary Master
and how much money are they likely to really get from such a small country like Iceland?

It's a pyrrhic victory

Gary,

It's irrelevant. The issue is people paid money to someone/body. You can't decide for me whether I give my money to rema church, the replublicans or the spca. They overstepped their bounds on so many fronts it's appalling. If I wanna donate money to the church of scientology or the smurfs it's fsckall of your business.

Edit: My post is just an example and not aimed directly at you ;)

d0b33

Honorary Master
If I can donate to the KKK why not wikileaks? sue them hard!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Gary,

It's irrelevant. The issue is people paid money to someone/body. You can't decide for me whether I give my money to rema church, the replublicans or the spca. They overstepped their bounds on so many fronts it's appalling. If I wanna donate money to the church of scientology or the smurfs it's fsckall of your business.

Edit: My post is just an example and not aimed directly at you ;)

I said it is a pyrrhic victory, because Iceland is just one small country. What are they going to do about all the other countries where they are still blocked? The point is, that the major part of the blockade remains in place around the world.

ponder

Honorary Master
I said it is a pyrrhic victory, because Iceland is just one small country. What are they going to do about all the other countries where they are still blocked? The point is, that the major part of the blockade remains in place around the world.

That needs to get fixed via the courts.

Saajid

Expert Member
They don't tell you - Visa/Mastercard's customers did. Visa/Mastercard feared a boycott from large companies that got Wikileak'd (I seem to remember them being threatened about it), so took evasive action. This way, they can continue to process payments, Wikileaks can get their money, and Visa/Mastercard can say "hey, we tried to block them, but you read the news? We were forced to unblock them".

Hahahaha. +1 funny man

Sodan

Expert Member
I would have liked to be able to say "Now that's priceless!"
But still on a positive note, I'll say sets a good precedent.

moosag

Expert Member

Hahahaha! Class!! So True... Bafana are useless!

zamicro

Expert Member

With everything being online, they just need one place to process payments. If you buy something from an online store, they do not need payment processors in each country.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle