Wikipedia celebrates 10th birthday with parties in SA

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I thought these guys were running short of cash? Now they are throwing parties?

McT

The Humble Scot!
In South Africa there are three events planned, in Pietermaritzburg, Cape Town and Stellenbosch.
Congrats to Wikipedia. Simply the best reference site.

So they're celebrating in my home town ... Pietermaritzburg ... nice! :D

McT

The Humble Scot!
I thought these guys were running short of cash? Now they are throwing parties?
I see they met their targets on donations ... maybe it's being sponsored? Like by the ANC or ANCYL? They/their members always seem to be lavishly celebrating. :p

Tick

Thanks for mentioning Larry Sanger as co-founder. I'm sick of seeing that ego-maniac Jimbo running around falsely claiming to be "the" founder of Wikipedia at every opportunity.

AniV

Expert Member
The PMB event is being arranged by students and is being held at a nightclub. The event isn't a sponsored event, nor will it be a lavish party.
The Stellenbosch event is also a student-arranged event, being held at Aandklas. Also not sponsored, also not lavish in any way.
The Cape Town event is the most official-looking of the three, being held at a proper venue (offices) and depending on attendance there may be some speakers.

I am very sad that there is no event in Joburg or Pretoria. At the very least Joburg. Something in Gauteng. We have hordes of Wikians up here, and the opening of the local Wikimedia chapter was held up here last year (at Wits, if I remember correctly). How are we not having any Gauteng-based event?

I'm almost tempted to organise one myself.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Agreed that something in Joburg and/or Pretoria would have been good ;)