Will Medical Aids Force Their Customers To Get Vaccinated?

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
For whatever reason the thought came into my head when I was taking a crap earlier and that thought is:

"It's entirely possible medical aids will threaten to increase the premiums of people in the at risk population who don't want to get vaccinated"

It does make financial sense if you think about it.
But would any Medical Aid Providers actually do it?

I'm curious what the antivaxx people would do if they face that circumstance.

werfie

Expert Member
I had a chat with one of my AntiVaxx friends. He said he was happy with the fact that he would need to cover all Covid related costs himself for not being willing to take the vaccine.

...This is of course at the stage where the vaccine was made available to everyone and based on the premise that someone has not been vaccinated purely out of choice and not related to an inefficient vaccine rollout...

NR7

He said he was happy with the fact that he would need to cover all Covid related costs himself for not being willing to take the vaccine.

Has the man seen what ICU costs these days ? Ventilators are not cheap.

Jetty

For whatever reason the thought came into my head when I was taking a crap earlier and that thought is:

"It's entirely possible medical aids will threaten to increase the premiums of people in the at risk population who don't want to get vaccinated"

It does make financial sense if you think about it.
But would any Medical Aid Providers actually do it?

I'm curious what the antivaxx people would do if they face that circumstance.
Medical aids aren't allowed to charge different rates for different people for medical reasons.

All they could really do is give you a waiting period before paying for treatment though - But I don't think the council for medical schemes would allow that.

So very unlikely not getting the vaccine would impact your medical aid.

Life insurance on the other hand....

Last edited:

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Medical aids aren't allowed to charge different rates for different people.

All they could really do is give you a waiting period before paying for treatment though - But I don't think the council for medical schemes would allow that.

So very unlikely not getting the vaccine would impact your medical aid.

Life insurance on the other hand....
A friend's mother got shafted by Nedbank a couple years ago, they increase her premiums by at least 400% and she can't stop paying it because she had that policy for over 30 years