Will new TV licensing laws get more people to pay their licence?

Will new licensing laws get more people to pay their licence?

• Yes

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 293 91.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.5%

• Total voters

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Doubt it, and these proposed "laws" will not go down well on a already over taxed citizens. Let's hope Everyone stands up to this and tell these ****ers off

Cray

Honorary Master
Will be intrigued to see if anyone votes "yes"

lkswan747

Expert Member
This bull dust will drive me to criminality as I am a legally compliant viewer despite the fact that I do not watch DSTV, SABC, ETV or any local TV broadcasts. This crap will just justify my thinking of no longer paying for a TV license!

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
This bull dust will drive me to criminality as I am a legally compliant viewer despite the fact that I do not watch DSTV, SABC, ETV or any local TV broadcasts. This crap will just justify my thinking of no longer paying for a TV license!
So why are you paying?

Same with me, I do not use any form of broadcasting media. Mostly because there is absolutely fsckall to watch on TV...it's all crap. Why should I pay for crap? No thanks

JohnStarr

Expert Member
I don't want to pay to have the tuner removed from my TV yet don't want to pay my TV license. It's a complete crock. They dish up total ****...what do they expect? And they're corrupt and bankrupt (financially & Morally).

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nope they won't get more people to pay, they may force more people to inadvertently pay depending on how they structure it (if they actually ever manage to even do anything of course).

lkswan747

Expert Member
So why are you paying?

Same with me, I do not use any form of broadcasting media. Mostly because there is absolutely fsckall to watch on TV...it's all crap. Why should I pay for crap? No thanks
I pay because it is the right thing to do, however, the current government are driving more and more people to becoming criminals by not following the "right thing to do" principal. Why then do we pay/follow for the following:
Electricity and water -
Stop at STOP signs
Yield at traffic circles
Stop at Red Lights
Paying TV Licenses
Paying Rates and Taxes
The list goes on and on and on.
Anarchy is but a stones throw away in my opinion.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
IFF coupled with follow up and prosecution.

Problem with that approach is that the SABC would need to do so for each and every "non-payer" and for the R280 per year, the cost to them would be way more than they would ever get in... and the cost to the state to prosecute the case would also be way more than they could get in. Its a lose-lose situation for the SABC as the public perception impact would be massively negative and probably drive non-payment even further upwards.

Its largely the reason there haven't been any actual cases around it so far in my opinion.

chromedome

Expert Member
How would they enforce the new law? Would it be when you buy a tablet, laptop,etc that you have to produce a licence?

Jan0602

This should not come as a surprise. Incompetence, maladministration, and corruption at the SABC mean many people refuse to fund the state broadcaster.
How about they fix that, and then maybe people would want to support them.

But then I again I agree with:
So dire is the situation that the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (Outa) has called for the scrapping of TV licences, arguing this funding model for the SABC has failed.
They should follow ETV's example and push on advertising by providing shows people want to see. ETV develops local shows and they show international shows. A lot of it soapy crap but that is what people like. They know their market.

I am willing to bet some money(Let us say a TV licence fee) that SABC1 crush 2&3 on advertising income because it knows what shows to develop.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
How would they enforce the new law? Would it be when you buy a tablet, laptop,etc that you have to produce a licence?

You will need to apply for the new TV licence card, which you will then use to make the purchase of a TV/Cell Phone/Laptop/Tablet/Car/Ear Phones/Glasses/Window Cleaner/Furniture Polish, and it needs to be renewed yearly at the DOH, alternatively if going to the DOH is not your thing then you can produce your active (paid up) ANC membership card.