Will replacing the hard drive on a PC that is over 10-years make it usable

newjourno

I have a couple of PC's at home. I prefer to use my own PC at work rather than use the company desktop. I might be walking to work soon and so might look into leaving my PC at home.

We have a couple of older models which are over ten years at home. They eventually got to a stage where they became unusable in terms of their speed though they still turn on.

Will it be worth it to try and replace their Hard drives or should I just invest in a refurbished model to leave at work instead?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I have a couple of PC's at home. I prefer to use my own PC at work rather than use the company desktop. I might be walking to work soon and so might look into leaving my PC at home.

We have a couple of older models which are over ten years at home. They eventually got to a stage where they became unusable in terms of their speed though they still turn on.

Will it be worth it to try and replace their Hard drives or should I just invest in a refurbished model to leave at work instead?
An SSD makes a huge difference on an older machine, not sure about compatibility with certain old BIOSes though, but 10 years is not that old... Just make sure it has enough RAM too... 4Gb min, 8Gb preferred.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
What PCs?

Pleas epost brand and model if you can, that will help.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I know one of them is a Toshiba Satellite, bought around early 2008 so model is probably a 2007 one.
Sounds like my son's PC. Putting an SSD in will make a huge diffs. It got new legs after that. We put 4Gb RAM and an SSD into it.

ubercal

Expert Member
I know one of them is a Toshiba Satellite, bought around early 2008 so model is probably a 2007 one.
recently upgraded a similar old toshiba satellite with an ssd + extra 2GB , taking it to a wopping 4GB of Ram.Windows 7 is now moving fast fast :)

bobcpt

Search for your computer's exact model number and see if it supports SATA hard drives. Most ssd drives have sata connectors. I installed a ssd drive in a 10 year old Dell Vostro laptop which made it usable again for web browsing etc. A ssd boot drive and anything more than 4GB will make a major difference. You would need to install the 64bit version of Windows to take advantage of any memory over and above 4GB though.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

And what OS will be going onto this new HDD/SSD ?

gamer16

Honorary Master
Well yeah it should be able to support a SSD, although I'm guessing a simple defrag will make them plenty better.

rambo919

Expert Member
Anything less than 4GB is a useless PC these days unless you use it purely as a download/internet server.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
An SSD makes a huge difference on an older machine, not sure about compatibility with certain old BIOSes though, but 10 years is not that old... Just make sure it has enough RAM too... 4Gb min, 8Gb preferred.
This. Just make sure it supports SSD's. Got one for my mothers old laptop, and for some reason it wasnt being picked up in BIOS. In external casing via usb it was VERY snappy though so would have made a big difference.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, as long as it has 4Gb or RAM or more, it should run fine with Windows 7.

Smokey888

I will not allow a personal computer on my work Network

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Well yeah it should be able to support a SSD, although I'm guessing a simple defrag will make them plenty better.
Do people still defrag? I thought it was a defunct technology & drives optimize their **** themselves nowadays?

Anyhoo, I'm still using the same Win 7 install from 2008 because I'm a bit emotionally attached to all the stuff on there, but my trusty old machine is suffering lately.
I have an old SSD I can add, just have to find the time to do it. But first, a selfie! Uh, I mean a defrag.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Do people still defrag? I thought it was a defunct technology & drives optimize their **** themselves nowadays?

Anyhoo, I'm still using the same Win 7 install from 2008 because I'm a bit emotionally attached to all the stuff on there, but my trusty old machine is suffering lately.
I have an old SSD I can add, just have to find the time to do it. But first, a selfie! Uh, I mean a defrag.
I still do it from time to time if I remember, not sure if it actually makes a difference but meh.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Windows does it in the background for you now. It's got more to do with the filesystem than the drive itself.

Not needed on SSDs the same way as HDDs because the don't have the problem of a read-head travelling around a platter, but AFAIK Windows "optimises" your SSD on some kind of a schedule as well.