Will the World Cup sway you support the PSL?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
With the World Cup just about done, I'd like to see if it will have an effect on the number of people going to PSL games. The USA built a great league on the success of USA 94, and I'd love to see SA do something similar.

So, for the last month we have all been very interested in football, but how many people will now go out and watch PSL games in the coming season. Some of the new stadiums will be used, the Charity Cup is at Soccer City, Ajax CT are to use Cape Town Stadium and Amazulu are to use Moses Mabhida. :D

So, will we be seeing lots of new people at PSL games this season?

Stickfigure

Executive Member
No cos the quality of PSL is piss poor. If anything the World Cup has just endeared me more to the EPL and La Liga, and possibly even Bundesliga.

Sensorei

Expert Member
Hell no! I'll be watching more European football. SA football games are mainly broadcast in black languages as well which drives you nuts if you don't understand it.

Mantis

Hell no! I'll be watching more European football. SA football games are mainly broadcast in black languages as well which drives you nuts if you don't understand it.
The commentary in the "black languages" are always more exciting to me. Even though I don't understand it, it sounds better.

nivek

Executive Member
vuvuzelas are still irritating, so no

would love to watch football at soccer city again sometime in the future though

Jola

Honorary Master
So, will we be seeing lots of new people at PSL games this season?
First have to ban the vuvuzelas.

Stone-age instruments used to drive animals over cliffs have no place in modern society.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Well, I'll give it a try but ....the quality of local soccer is very low; commentary for the televised games is inevitably not in english (or afrikaans) and my Xhosa/Zulu is not good enough to follow properly; and there is inevitably too much politics in SAFA which eventually sours everything to do with soccer in SA.

The_Pumpkin_King

Jedi Master
I always watched it, mainly to see the bloem celtic fans. I definitely want to go see the first soweto derby at soccer city :D

DJ...

Banned
There is English commentary on Supersport too.

I'm waiting for the heyday of Manning Rangers (my old football club) to return...:D

Ronjay

Expert Member
It's a shame really. Until the quality of football can improve and the language barrier is not an issue local football will never really be popular with most whites in the country. And that falls squarely with SAFA.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
You can get English on Supersport.

I know that many people are saying that the quality is low, and it is, but it is still the SA league. Hopefully some people do come out and watch games though.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Not really going to get me to more games - but will attend the stadia more often hopefully.

I believe a Tri-Nations match is going to be played at Soccer City and friends and I are planning to go up for a road trip at the end of next month for that :)

I am Penguin

Executive Member
NO! Soccer is soccer and PSL is the Kintergarten version of real soccer. Just kicking the ball around ain't soccer!

DJ...

Banned
I've seen a few good derbies in SA football over the years, even recently. I think those moaning about the overall quality don't watch enough - it's a bit of an assumption. However that is not to say that we're on a par with la Liga, bundesliga, EPL and the like. Far from it, but the quality is getting better and what most people forget is that without the support, quality remains stagnant. If you want to help effect an increase in quality local football then you yourself need to make the effort at PSL level and even below.

Where we are seriously lacking, and this has been a major gripe of mine for a few years, is in producing decent coaches and managers though. We try to hire in from overseas and this has proven to be an expensive flop. Do away with buying in the talent grow it locally. Bring back the coaching academies I say. SA football could do with more Clive Barkers...

EtienneK

Expert Member
I think this thread should be reworded to "Will the World Cup sway you to support Soccer?".

Sadly, no. I will still only watch it once every 4 years.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I've seen a few good derbies in SA football over the years, even recently. I think those moaning about the overall quality don't watch enough - it's a bit of an assumption. However that is not to say that we're on a par with la Liga, bundesliga, EPL and the like. Far from it, but the quality is getting better and what most people forget is that without the support, quality remains stagnant. If you want to help effect an increase in quality local football then you yourself need to make the effort at PSL level and even below.

Where we are seriously lacking, and this has been a major gripe of mine for a few years, is in producing decent coaches and managers though. We try to hire in from overseas and this has proven to be an expensive flop. Do away with buying in the talent grow it locally. Bring back the coaching academies I say. SA football could do with more Clive Barkers...
I loved Bay United's PSL season in 2008/09, and kept going to games last season, even though they were in the NFD (2nd division). I do think that if people just went to a few games, that they may change their minds about the league, and become regulars. I know that we will never be the Premier League, La Liga or Serie A, but there is no reason why we can't improve our league. I'd like to see it improve to a level where PSL players can move directly to a 'Top 5' league in Europe, not have to go to clubs in Belguim and Turkey.