Will this Asus vdsl router work? ...and any other advice

andy_i

My exchange is finally vdsl enabled. I'm planning on upgrading my service to 40Mbps vdsl (currently on 4mbps uncapped unshaped on mweb).

My questions:

1) will this Asus router serve me better than the pace / billion / zyxer (I think that was the name) offerings? http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN66U/
2) will the 40mbit vdsl get me better throughput than my current 4meg unshaped? They tell me there isn't an unshaped vdsl option. I quite like that my downloads and movies don't get shaped.

My average household data usage is around 50-70 GB per month.

I'd appreciate any input here from your knowledgeable selves. Thanks in advance.

ENIAC

Yes get a vdls router ... and dont worry , MOST ISP's wont shape you when you're using such low bandwidth amounts ( but that number will increase when you're getting 40mbps , or so I asume). And yes it will get allot better troughput on the download and upload side , I suggest you read around the ISP discusions to decide upon a good ISP , I think you should look at something like afrihost since they have allot of positve feedback :)
Goodluck to you and your fast internet adventures :D .

andy_i

Yes get a vdls router ... and dont worry , MOST ISP's wont shape you when you're using such low bandwidth amounts ( but that number will increase when you're getting 40mbps , or so I asume).

Shape or throttle? I was under the impression that the entire user base is affected by shaping on certain protocols, but individuals are throttled based on consumption and AUP.