Will Tops and the other supermarket chains' liquor stores also be open?

RonSwanson

Expert Member
How long will it take to get a proper moonshine operation going? Fermentation alone is a couple of days? Hopefully someone is already cooking some mampoer.
Just drink the hand sanitiser, it's quicker.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
You can get mampoer in like 3 days if you know your **** and you have a still. Kveik will ferment super fast in a sugar wash IF you feed it.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The real question is will liquor stores have any stock left by closing time this afternoon? Judging by the queues this morning, shelves may be clear by now...

genetic

Honorary Master
The real question is will liquor stores have any stock left by closing time this afternoon? Judging by the queues this morning, shelves may be clear by now...
They will have less popular items still in stock.

I suspect some liquor stores will be burgled during this lock down.

JayM

Expert Member
When I went to the local Spar, I was shocked at the queue outside Tops. But then it turned out the queue was actually for Spar and the Tops was empty, but still fairly well stocked. I think people saw the queue and just left. :ROFL:

genetic

Honorary Master
There were a couple military vehicles on Koeberg road in Milnerton earlier today - seems they're getting ready for tonight.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
When I went to the local Spar, I was shocked at the queue outside Tops. But then it turned out the queue was actually for Spar and the Tops was empty, but still fairly well stocked. I think people saw the queue and just left. :ROFL:
Where I lived the Tops used to be inside Spar, but they moved some time ago. Now they are 100m apart, but access is via the same limited parking area. Also a Medicross in between them, so its a complete war-zone now...

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Had their priorities wrong. They could just go at 8am tomorrow. Roads will be empty to.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You know, guys, you could just....not....drink. It's not difficult. Kinda pathetic to be honest. :unsure:
So.... you are too weak to stick it to the man? Cele fanboi....
Thank the Lord I gave up the evil drink over 3 years ago....no withdrawals or late night dodgy trips to Shebeens for me!
Good for you, more for us.
I kinda understand why they are prohibiting alcohol during this period. Drunk people can be unreasonable and stupid and a lot of them are just going to end up in prison or risk infection. Plus I heard a WHO functionary say to stay away from the bottle as alcohol depresses your immune system.
I like beaing stupid and unreasonable as I cry in the shower at home where that moron president wants me.
Wow. That's over R5k sitting there. What a waste of money...
I look at people with bikes costing R50k more than mine and think, what a waste of money as I overtake them. Yet they enjoy it and can afford it, don't you just love the free market?

Today I double up on yesterdays picking. I won't be sober for a single g...damn day in protest to this gross violation of my freedom.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
So.... you are too weak to stick it to the man? Cele fanboi....

Good for you, more for us.

I like beaing stupid and unreasonable as I cry in the shower at home where that moron president wants me.

I look at people with bikes costing R50k more than mine and think, what a waste of money as I overtake them. Yet they enjoy it and can afford it, don't you just love the free market?

Today I double up on yesterdays picking. I won't be sober for a single g...damn day in protest to this gross violation of my freedom.
i am more sure about you than ever now

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Cool man. Don't moan when you get a fine for "sticking it to the man", you modern rebel you. :rolleyes:
Yeah, speaking of fines I just went through one of my desk drawers with the 5 fines I got in my last car. Never paid, car traded in. Fines are fine.

Vorastra

Yeah, speaking of fines I just went through one of my desk drawers with the 5 fines I got in my last car. Never paid, car traded in. Fines are fine.
You managed to transfer ownership of a car with fines on it? Fight the power or whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Emjay

Executive Member
I look at all that booze and think carbon wheels for my tri-bike. :love:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
I actually think it was ill considered announcing that liquor would not be sold at virtually the last minute.
Consider the hardcore alcoholics out there, unable to get their fix. All they gonna do is go crazy and take it out on whomever they are in a confined space with for how ever long this lasts. May just have a negative effect.

I was at Makro yesterday and got a fine single malt. No panic buying just topping up on my favorite tipple.
Then the rules change when Cele opens his gob.
Anyway went back today and loaded a frikkin trolley, who knows how long this **** will last and what you can believe from the government cause at 1 pm one minister says one thing and a few hours later they say something else.

Why is orange juice or cooldrinks or junk food like chocolate then also considered essential? All you really need is water and staple food, if they are serious about this.

I have no problem with the government shutting down practically every single business over this period, as each big business may have hundreds, or even a few thousand suppliers which in turn means their suppliers have to stay open. It just snowballs.

Lets just hope the 3 week intervention helps and business can continue after that as normal, I think it is wishful thinking though, hope I am wrong.

Last edited: