Will Tops and the other supermarket chains' liquor stores also be open?

nova69

Protea heights checkers queue is not bad.Spar hasendal is long.Cpt North

diapason

Expert Member
I'm wondering how this will affect grocery stores like Spar and Pick n Pay that have booze aisles. Would be kak to have to queue for ages just to buy some bread and milk...
I've been to my local Spar (Rosmead Ave, Kenilworth). There was quite a long queue at Tops when I drove past just after 9am - shorter about 30 minutes later. No queue at the Spar and the wine section was just like a normal day.

I suspect that at the likes of Kenilworth Centre the supermarkets will be chaos because this is SASSA payday, so those are best avoided.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I've been to my local Spar (Rosmead Ave, Kenilworth). There was quite a long queue at Tops when I drove past just after 9am - shorter about 30 minutes later. No queue at the Spar and the wine section was just like a normal day.

I suspect that at the likes of Kenilworth Centre the supermarkets will be chaos because this is SASSA payday, so those are best avoided.
My local too. Need to get food today. Will report later.

Edit: Very short queue at 11am. No queue at Spar which has a wine licence.

Edit: Very little of interest at Spar. I bought some box wine. Tops is busy, and queue is much longer at 11:45am.

P.S. I think a lot of people have to trade off work time against opening hours.

Last edited:

3WA

Executive Member
Checkers Blubird. Joined the queue at 08h30, hardly anyone joined after me. Anyone who showed up at 09h20 would've walked straight in.

Drove past UltraLiquors on the way home, schit show.

Drunk now.

JSparrow

A total of 3 people in the queue. I got the last 3 cases of Castle. Beer stock is very very limited.

Mainly bought the Castle as I need the bottles for my own beer. Also got 2 Bottles of Whiskey and 4 loose Stuyvesants :)

He is still waiting for his deliveries. Blue Bottle in North Rand Road, Boksburg20200601_094610.jpg

David101

Expert Member
Local Woollies across our complex. Besides the SO and I there were 4 other people at 9 :love:
Walked out with lots and lots of wine! Sorted till the rest of the many, (too) many online orders arrive later in the week

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Strolled into my local bottle store, no queue at all, got a top up of Gin and Whipsky whilst waiting for the bigger online order to be delivered from Norman Goodfellows later this week..