• Not if I can help it

Votes: 100 27.2%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 211 57.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters

Stonemason

No, I will not fly with them again. Too dangerous.

They fired all their senior and experienced pilots in order to drive their agenda of promoting BEE. There is no way that I will get in an aircraft with the pilot in control having flown 200 hours. I prefer the 7 000 to 30 000 hour pilots the SAA had in the past.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
The New York route is new. SAA flew to NY.
ah, right, mostly only matters if NY is your final destination I guess

If you're connecting within the US anyway then connecting via Atlanta vs connecting via NY is much of a muchness

I despised the JHB -> ATL route, actually prefer to connect via Amsterdam so CPT -> AMS -> USA, have a real beer in Schipol and stretch legs on the ground etc

Wary GOM

Expert Member
Other - it will depend on prices and if it serves places I want to go ro. I hate having to go half-way around the world to get to an airline's central hub and then coming one-quarter the distance back again to get where I am really going.

zoozi

Expert Member
If it's the best priced when I book aye why not.
That's like buying a car from your local thief. Great, you got a cheap car, but you just supported and encouraged more crime. This is corruption on a grand scale, anyone is a prick for flying with them. Eskom for electricity is one thing, we don't have other options, but SAA?

Bernie

Expert Member
Depends on price comparison. If I perceive better value from SAA I see no reason to try them out.

susefan

If they offer better prices and services compared to competitors I will go for them.

Segg

Expert Member
No

Not a hell will I support a corrupt entity.

The way they treated their ex-staff and tried to scapegoat the pilots was despicable.

It seems established labor laws are only applied when convenient to government

surface

Honorary Master
Because they are overpriced compared to other options and as much as I hate paying money to them as a tax payer I do hope that at some point in the future they will be closed down... I am certainly not going to do anything that will keep them afloat a moment longer...
SAA was the best option for JHB-BOM-JHB travel. Direct flight, cheapest (in terms of time + money) and great food. Too bad that route was closed down by zuptas. I never understood why tbh, it couldn't have been economically bad route considering flights were always full.

azbob

Honorary Master
SAA was the best option for JHB-BOM-JHB travel. Direct flight, cheapest (in terms of time + money) and great food. Too bad that route was closed down by zuptas. I never understood why tbh, it couldn't have been economically bad route considering flights were always full.

It had an 80%+ seat loading. It was closed to benefit Jet Airways with whom the Guptas were affiliated.

Jola

Honorary Master
My worst flight experience ever was on my last flight with SAA.

So no, won't be doing that again, I have zero confidence that the new SAA will be any better than the old one.

Kodi

Expert Member
If it were the early 90s then 100% yes, no question. On the other hand, in 2021, definitely no no....I can't be trusting my life in the hands of SOE corruption and BEE mediocrity.

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
Not if I can help it, because they were always too expensive for my taste and I always had better luck with the other cheaper airlines like Kulula and Mango.

Crankshaft

No, I will not fly with them again. Too dangerous.

They fired all their senior and experienced pilots in order to drive their agenda of promoting BEE. There is no way that I will get in an aircraft with the pilot in control having flown 200 hours. I prefer the 7 000 to 30 000 hour pilots the SAA had in the past.
It seems like not a lot of people are aware of this, worringly enough.

There are no 200 hour pilots in SAA though. They all have 1000's of hours. The skill level of many of the remaining 88 pilots is questionable though.

Let's not forget THIS event where they almost lost a plane recently. Not only was THIS sanicom sniffing work of art (read the 4th post on that page) part of the crew, but it also consisted of the Airbus A340 FLEET MANAGER and SAA's CHIEF PILOT!

Comes as no surprise when THIS is the criteria for retaining pilots in SAA V2.0.

So the next time you fly SAA please sit back, relax and remember that race comes first while they don't give a crap about your safety. :)