Votes: 100 27.2%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 211 57.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters

Cius

Executive Member
Similar rules as I have with TV licenses. The boycott remains until they can stop receiving bailouts for a reasonable period and actually make a profit. Even if that condition is met I would still require them to be reasonably priced.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Similar rules as I have with TV licenses. The boycott remains until they can stop receiving bailouts for a reasonable period and actually make a profit. Even if that condition is met I would still require them to be reasonably priced.
:ROFL: boycott them till they make a profit, that will work. :rolleyes:

C4Cat

Honorary Master
I have been forced to pay via tax bailouts for their incompetence for years. Not gonna add good money to bad.
Still, then boycott them till they die and you lose / waste all the money you've already contributed via tax...
or
support them so they can reach a point of being profitable and so the bailout wasn't a complete waste....

Either of those options are fine and make sense

Boycotting them till they make a profit is pointless though. It's like saying you're not going to stop smoking until your lungs are clean and healthy, then you'll stop smoking...

Cius

Executive Member
Still, then boycott them till they die and you lose / waste all the money you've already contributed via tax...
or
support them so they can reach a point of being profitable and so the bailout wasn't a complete waste....

Boycotting them till they make a profit is pointless though. It's like saying you're not going to stop smoking until your lungs are clean and healthy, then you'll stop smoking...
Huh? No. By continuing to support them you say the corruption and mismanagement and overstaffing is OK. I boycott them along with most normal South African's so that a clear messages can be sent to government that its not OK to run these places into the ground and then bail them out repeatedly. If every time that happened we all collectively let the whole institution fail and end perhaps they would stop the next one going that way. I want them to fail. I want the SABC to die, and SAA. They deserve to die. That is how the free market should work. Poorly run institutions should die so that more efficient ones can flourish. It is monumentally unfair that SAA gets billion rand bailouts and then sells cut rate tickets using that bailout to undercut companies that don't get bailouts, they have to run at a profit. That is just breaking the free market.

If they somehow turn a corner and run profitably then sure I will support them again but we all realize that is unlikely at this point. Fact of the matter is every payment towards them just prolongs the tax bailouts. The solution is to force them to shut down by completely drying up all their income. That is my view anyways. You are welcome to your own.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
or

Nope, I will boycott them. They can raise money via alternative channels and if they prove that they can :

1. Manage SAA financially without any bail-outs and pay off the money loaned
2. Manage their planes well with maintenance etc and without cutting any corners
3. Get SAA to be financially stable
4. Get rid of corruption etc (as per the above post)

then and only then will it be considered. Not before.

Once bitten, twice shy.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Nope, I will boycott them. They can raise money via alternative channels and if they prove that they can :

1. Manage SAA financially without any bail-outs and pay off the money loaned
2. Manage their planes well with maintenance etc and without cutting any corners
3. Get SAA to be financially stable
4. Get rid of corruption etc (as per the above post)

then and only then will it be considered. Not before.

Once bitten, twice shy.
How can they become profitable if everyone boycotts them though? It makes no sense. I have no problem with you wanting to boycott them to send a message to the government about bailouts, but don't act as if they could still somehow become profitable again with no passengers. The purpose of boycotting a brand is to ensure they don't become profitable

C4Cat

Honorary Master
The solution is to force them to shut down by completely drying up all their income. That is my view anyways. You are welcome to your own.
This I understand and have no problem with, even though it's not my own view, it makes sense. It's the previous post about boycotting them until they are profitable that I found hilarious

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
This I understand and have no problem with, even though it's not my own view, it makes sense. It's the previous post about boycotting them until they are profitable that I found hilarious
What are the guarantees that they will continue wasting money when giving a bail out?

C4Cat

Honorary Master
What are the guarantees that they will continue wasting money when giving a bail out?
The bailout has been given, it's in the past, you're not going to get it back. Now it's up to them to prove they can turn the company around and become profitable again, go back to being the world class airline they once were. They may or may not be able to do that but definitely won't be able to if everyone boycotts them. The bailout money is spent, either way. You can boycott to send the government a message that you don't agree with the bailouts (and risk further bailouts) or you can accept the bailout happened and give them the support they need to make good use of the bailout and become a success story (and avoid the need for further bailouts).

It's your choice and I don't condemn either option.

My opinion however is that as much as you want to punish the government for wasting your tax money, the people who work for SAA are now employed again and earning a living - which is good - the only people you punish by boycotting is the employees and yourself (along with all the other tax payers)

Shahil

One of my favourite airlines across the world. No lies. The legroom in economy is AMAZING. The people working for them were the best. I really loved when they had cheap flights or these were bought through corporate. Excited to see the new product. Really, really excited.

Gnome

Executive Member

TL;DR, pilots didn't have appropriate certifications. Once that was rammed through they got a stall warning while lifting off.

HELL NO

Without a doubt I expect more of the same from SAA.
Expired certifications, using their government ties to get it rammed through and reckless flying until they finally crash.

Government's plan for SAA is:
- Don't let people lose their jobs or it'll look bad for the ANC
- Place for Tenderpreneurship
- Perfect place to exercise their quota system

Usually an airline's priorities are safety. When your priorities are political, you are competing against your own policies long before you are even competing against other airlines.

Last edited: