• No - I will (or have already) moved on

Votes: 231 26.0%
  • I've never used Whatsapp

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.8%

• Total voters

archibald

In any case Facebook is none other than the Devils playground.FB is going to backdown.

afsrav

I will stick with Whatsapp for now, but as soon as I see an advert or banner, that will be the day I move over to another app.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Came up in the family group (Mrs' side, anyway). But now they're all undecided on whether or not to move over to Telegram or Signal.

Me? They've been harvesting all our info from the day we first installed all their apps, anyway - I'm pretty sure it even says so in the TOS none of us ever bothered to read. And if it ain't broke...

TimBru14

I don't see what the big fuss is about...Every app on your phone has been harvesting some form of data about you since you took your phone out of the box. Even so, it isn't personal data about you specifically.

bvawda

Yes, I will use Whatsapp. I have been on Telegram too for almost a year now.
I have nothing to hide and besides all these apps have your info and track your data, either way.

naids

The crux of this whole thing is that they (WhatsApp) are taking away YOUR control to decide what is shared. As Jan Vermeulen said in his interview on kfm, there's a diff btwn privacy and security. Have a listen, it's on their (kfm) website.

Google and co give YOU control via your advertising Id. You can reset it and with Apple you can choose what is shared - this is the bit that actually started all the fuss with WhatsApp last year.
Apple/Google also clearly state that they don't sell your data on. These are fundamental differences between WA and the rest.

Yes, from a security perspective you can be tracked and traced and hacked etc. That's not the major concern here. If you aren't involved in illegal activities, you should not be either but that is a separate debate.

WhatsApp is asking you to hand over your privacy information.... Your movements... where your are... Who you interact with... etc... And willingly hand it to them and their affiliates!!!!... Forever, while you use their ecosystem. This is not cool.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Whatever happened to Viber, I remember it being pretty decent, what info do they share?

Edit: Data Linked to You
Purchases
Contacts
Idenitifiers
Usage Data

Last edited:

My Dog Charlie

If you enjoy being under the thumb of BIG BROTHER stay with Whats App and the like. I have migrated to Signal and over the moon by the security. What is going to stop the government of SA going to Facebook and the like and purchasing all you personal data, yes I'm assuming that they haven't already done so!

neoprema

Executive Member
i'm more concerned about how advertising will be presented. I get enough junk in my face, if me telling my buds that I like the BMW i just saw on the highway and suddenly start getting BMW ads because of Whatsapp i'm gonna lose it.

Nomad2

Facebook already gathers data from you even if you don't have an account. Read up on it.

ZizzyBoy

I agree - the Data Ship harvesting moved years ago - there was a an article one day that says even when you switch off don't track me and all your Cookies on Microsoft Edge it still tracked your workings

so to me its also not very feasible to run when the sharks says they coming for us - the Tracking game will happen for years - Every big app and every big company has its problems - in 2019 August Signal was hacked and Millions of users lost there data - and Telegram there was a HACK where you could listen to anyone's calls if you could figure out the how - so all that data that was leaked there is the same like what is gonna be leaked here - they will track you even if you dont want to be tracked

Tsipa

The US wants to ban Tiktok because they believe it collects user data, so let the rest of the world ban whatsapp.

Raymondnc

despite deactivating my Facebook about 2 years ago, I just realized that facebook messenger is still active but not used...
It will take some time for me to move off WhatsApp if most of my contacts are still loyalists.
Either way we are trapped in these platforms, its only a matter of time that even the trusted Telegram or signal etc see dollar bills in sharing whatever information they have on us.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I have nothing to hide and besides all these apps have your info and track your data, either way.
Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

Whatever happened to Viber, I remember it being pretty decent, what info do they share?
Viber is not as powerful as Facebook / WhatsApp worldwide, they have a different business model, but they probably still have a lot of your data.

Funnily enough, despite being an app developed in Israel and bought out by a Japanese multinational, Viber is dominant in Russia and Ukraine... I think I've only met two people in South Africa that use it and one of those was a Russian national.

jesley69

Facebook's investment paid dividends

almost like somebody brought a struggling Microsoft back in its early days when Bill Gates was in his garage.
Oh “doctor Gates”
It’s like practicing medicine without the legal registration... coming soon to a vaccine near you

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

It's hilarious, all of a sardine everyone is worried that their skelempies are going to appear on their FB feeds for everyone to see