• No - I will (or have already) moved on

Votes: 231 26.0%
  • I've never used Whatsapp

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.8%

• Total voters

Kiemo

Just be careful ... watches social dilemma guys you will change your mind about your privacy

Twiggles

You only care about privacy if you have something to hide!
My bank pin comes to mind. That, and the content for an NDA I signed recently. I'm a tech noob though, so it's easier for me to just ditch WhatsApp as I didn't really use it much anyway. I do my best keeping various things off the internet, but it really just is only my best.

markcpt

Not too concerned but I suspect I will slowly migrate to something else as the need arises

ajan

My bank pin comes to mind. That, and the content for an NDA I signed recently. I'm a tech noob though, so it's easier for me to just ditch WhatsApp as I didn't really use it much anyway. I do my best keeping various things off the internet, but it really just is only my best.
Wait, you actually think you own your bank account and that you have complete privacy to that?

jostian

For me the other issue is because WhatsApp is showing off a while bunch of device info now there is an increase in battery consumption, I'd say WhatsApp is using 10 to 15% more battery then previously. I saw some comparison a few weeks ago between WhatsApp and Signal and WhatsApp was using 60% odd more than Signal. So it's not just about the info but impact on phone battery.

pmurgs

I informed everyone on my WhatsApp list that I would be removing myself from WhatsApp. A week later I removed WhatsApp from my phone and the Windows desktop client and now only run Telegram and Signal.
I'm very happy that I'm finally off that horrible piece of spyware with that data gobbling and totally untrustworthy company Facebook behind it.
This does not solve all the issues I have with companies spying on me, but is a big step in the right direction.

Moshi Moshi ^w^

Moved away ages back. Tried to convince people many times to stay away from Facebook due to their poor cybersecurity. You should be more worried about a potential DB dump than the privacy aspect.

Also if your local IT guy boasts about how he's an expert on the matter, but he can't even sign up for a hackthebox.eu account, you should probably find a new "expert".

Ricobyore

Already deleted Facebook. I was a few days late with one of my accounts payments and started getting inundated with ads for Debt Relief Companies on Facebook. Now that is getting a bit too close to the bone. The question begs, what information are they actually getting, and where from? Is even your online banking and emails 100% private??? As for Whatsapp, most of my family moved on to Signal and Telegram already, although I will have to keep Whatsapp for now until all my contacts and groups move over.

newby_investor

Expert Member
They are free too, no? So you remain the product.
Signal is run by a non-profit. No products.

Telegram is bankrolled by some Russian rebel millionaires, and the business model seems to be evolving into a Freemium kind of thing, where the basic service is free but you pay for some features.

geekonometry

Facebook, Google, Instagram, Twitter has so much data on you already, whatsapp sharing minor details with facebook is like Google asking if they may share your hangouts details with their search engine (which happens already). I have a facebook account that i last used in 2016. My work requires me to have one because we use the developers portal.

Alas i have already installed Signal because my parents are on there. They read some stupid post on facebook about how Whatsapp is going to spy on us (something like the 5g thing) and i cannot convince them otherwise.

All in all, Ill stick with Whatsapp unless businesses start spamming me with ads on it or it starts getting ads

innovator

Yes Whatsapp does have end to end encryption when sending messages, but it also stores all the message info , images and videos from those encrypted conversations in an unencrypted form on both your phone and the recipients phone.
So what's so bad about that?
Well if you also have the Facebook app also installed on the same device and you have accepted that Whatsapp can share your info with Facebook, then you have just given Facebook and in turn its app the legal right to sniff through all that Whatsapp information stored on your phone.
The next concerning factor is the size of the Facebook app which is also installed on your phone!
Why does it need to be so big?
What does it need all that processing power for, if a browser a tenth of it's size can do the job of viewing your Facebook profile?..
...If you can answer that question then you will be very concerned about your privacy!

Last edited:

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I got my own Chat app, PK + AES encryption.
If no AES key set, use PK Encryption(send AES neg). When the 2 users are near each other, set nfc to neg AES key update. Best part no cancer!

Nawaar

Whether you use facebook or not is irrelevant, it is how facebook will share the data they collect from their data mining. I'm sticking with whatsapp, far more secure than others, esp Telegram. Signal could be a future option, but their platform of security makes me wonder what they hiding.

Crumbl0x

Whether you use facebook or not is irrelevant, it is how facebook will share the data they collect from their data mining. I'm sticking with whatsapp, far more secure than others, esp Telegram. Signal could be a future option, but their platform of security makes me wonder what they hiding.
What do you mean?
I agree that Moxie is a great thorn in Signal's side and is abusing their status of embracing FOSS fully, but Signal operates exactly the same as WhatsApp but on a smaller scale with far more transparency, so I'm interested in your reasoning

newby_investor

Expert Member
What do you mean?
I agree that Moxie is a great thorn in Signal's side and is abusing their status of embracing FOSS fully, but Signal operates exactly the same as WhatsApp but on a smaller scale with far more transparency, so I'm interested in your reasoning
I'm confused as to what *you* mean here.

Moxie Marlinspike is the reason that Signal exists. Why would he be a thorn in their side?

Nawaar

What do you mean?
Exactly for that reason. I'm not conspiracy theorising, but how long would it take for him to sell out, same as Whatsapp does. He may well be hailed as the best for now, but history shows that these guys eventually end up "partnered" with someone. Signal was relatively unknown to the general public until whatsapp's ridiculous way of announcing their plans which caused a public outcry. That puts them in the spotlight and therefore garners attention from major corps.