Win10 latest update - independent brightness setting for "on power" and "on battery" missing

AirWolf

Honorary Master
After the latest win10 update recently, the independent brightness option in power setting is missing.

When plugged in I like my brightness to be 100%, and when I am on battery, I like it to be around 40% to save battery power.

These brightness settings worked independently. Now there only seems to be one brightness setting regardless.

Any way around this?

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Starting with Windows 10 build 17639, Microsoft removed the display brightness slider in Control Panel Power Options and the “Display brightness” section under Power Options Advanced Settings.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18282, Microsoft heard your feedback about a specific case where a display can become brighter when transitioning from a battery charger to battery power.

Microsoft is modifying the display brightness behaviour so that this can no longer happen.

If a person adjusts their display brightness, that brightness will now be remembered as their preferred brightness whether they are on battery or connected to a charger.

This new behaviour results in a more consistent and battery friendly experience.

This does not affect battery saver mode settings; if a person has opted into lowering the screen brightness in battery saver mode, their display will still dim when the battery is below the threshold selected.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Starting with Windows 10 build 17639, Microsoft removed the display brightness slider in Control Panel Power Options and the “Display brightness” section under Power Options Advanced Settings.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18282, Microsoft heard your feedback about a specific case where a display can become brighter when transitioning from a battery charger to battery power.

Microsoft is modifying the display brightness behaviour so that this can no longer happen.

If a person adjusts their display brightness, that brightness will now be remembered as their preferred brightness whether they are on battery or connected to a charger.

This new behaviour results in a more consistent and battery friendly experience.

This does not affect battery saver mode settings; if a person has opted into lowering the screen brightness in battery saver mode, their display will still dim when the battery is below the threshold selected.

What a load of BS. MS becoming the new Apple.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
What a load of BS. MS becoming the new Apple.
Please elaborate, one thing is for sure that Apple dont automatically force updates unless a new version Xcode needs a minimum version of MacOS to run.

Yes you can disable updates but you need to jump through hoops unless you have windows 10 pro.

My ideal setup is to find a good stable build (1809) and disable feature updates while allowing security updates.

Im tired of MS making users beta testers, whats the point of insider builds of they just change things without insider feedback.