• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Win10 upgrade, OEM partition showing in explorer?

vorman

Updated win10 to 1803 through windows update (insider).
Now there's the OEM partition showing in file explorer. How do I remove? Using disk manager, the right click doesn't give any options to remove the drive later.
In explorer it's named as Local Disk, whereas in disk manager it's not named and has (OEM partition) as description.

Last edited:

Shockwave_

Windows Disk Manager is very limited so unless you want to use third party programs just use Command Prompt to hide the drive

Type the following , after each line press enter :
diskpart
list volume
select volume (Enter volume number from list in previous command) e.g. select volume 3
remove letter (Enter drive letter) e.g remove letter z

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
PC manufacturers often include recovery partitions. These are usually hidden, but sometimes become visible under This PC and elsewhere in Windows.

Here’s how to hide a recovery partition—or any other drive.

We’ll be removing a partition’s drive letter to hide it. The partition will still be visible to disk management tools, but it won’t appear in Explorer and normal desktop applications.

You can always reassign a drive letter to it in the future.

https://www.howtogeek.com/348168/how-to-hide-a-recovery-partition-or-other-drive-in-windows/

vorman

Windows Disk Manager is very limited so unless you want to use third party programs just use Command Prompt to hide the drive

Type the following , after each line press enter :
Wow many thanks guys. It has been removed from explorer. This will still allow me to find it when I do need to recover? I think there's a button sequence to press at start up to enter recovery from OEM. Hope it still allows that.

Shockwave_

Wow many thanks guys. It has been removed from explorer. This will still allow me to find it when I do need to recover? I think there's a button sequence to press at start up to enter recovery from OEM. Hope it still allows that.
Yes it will , if you want to view the contents of the recovery partition all you have to do is assign it a letter .
You can do this by replacing the line "remove letter" with "assign letter = (enter a letter)" e.g. assign letter = Z

vorman

Yes it will , if you want to view the contents of the recovery partition all you have to do is assign it a letter .
You can do this by replacing the line "remove letter" with "assign letter = (enter a letter)" e.g. assign letter = Z
Ok when it was showing in explorer, and I opened it, it showed nothing. Although the full 500mb was almost used up. So I guess there's another way to view contents through CMD? The letter was assigned yet it showed nothing in the folder.

Main reason for wanting it removed, windows kept giving me a message that the drive is almost full.

Arthur

Honorary Master
or use

mountvol E: /d <enter>

where E: is the drive letter for the unwanted oem partition. Simply substitute with your own.

PowerShell admin mode.

Last edited:

access

Executive Member
its messed up the win10 reset function on a laptop here, WinRE is not being detected but i can see it.

missions

vorman

its messed up the win10 reset function on a laptop here, WinRE is not being detected but i can see it.

missions
I can confirm. It messed up partitions on two of the pc's that I updated. It added more partition on one pc. The other, it changed the sizes around.