Windows 10 black screen /w mouse cursor..

redarrow

Expert Member
So I booted into Windows, hadn't logged it in a week or two, it ran fine. Skype popped up an update request so I ran that, no problems. I then decided to install Spideroak for Win, installation completed, however after it finished the screen went black, with just mouse cursor visible.

Reboot. Same issue, after login I just get a black screen with mouse cursor. Ctrl+Alt+Del pops up the green screen with the options, however task manager just takes me back to the black screen. Tried rebooting a few more times, same issue. Boot into safe mode, uninstall graphics driver and disable everything that runs on startup, reboot, still same issue.

I did also try uninstalling Spideroak seeing as it was the last thing I installed before the problem occurred however I can't run the uninstaller in safe mode (get an error message something like: "Windows installer cannot be accessed").

Anyone know anything else I can try?

redarrow

Expert Member
Ok wait.. got it fixed, seems it was Spideroak.. I just booted Ubuntu and deleted the Spideroak directory under Program Files, and presto Win is working again. Can't imagine what part of Spideroak is breaking things but oh well. :/

biometrics

Freelance App Developer
Ok wait.. got it fixed, seems it was Spideroak.. I just booted Ubuntu and deleted the Spideroak directory under Program Files, and presto Win is working again. Can't imagine what part of Spideroak is breaking things but oh well. :/
The latest v7.x? Still need to upgrade mine from v6.x.

biometrics

Freelance App Developer
The reason I asked if you have both a VGA and HDMI port is recently I had a PC that booted to a black screen with only the cursor, on HDMI. When I connected a VGA cable as well it came right. Very weird.

redarrow

Expert Member
Ah I see.. I don't actually, my GPU only has HDMI, DP & DVI. Unless I used the onboard graphics, but then my monitor only has HDMI and DP.. so, couldn't try that.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ah I see.. I don't actually, my GPU only has HDMI, DP & DVI. Unless I used the onboard graphics, but then my monitor only has HDMI and DP.. so, couldn't try that.
Its Windows. Configuration is corrupt, specifically. I saw that on Win10 too.

DVI and dual mode DisplayPort have analogue VGA output. Try passive DP or DVI to VGA converter. I think screen resolution/refresh, etc... is set to some invalid or not supported by you monitor. Windows configuration should be reset once you connect different monitor or through a different interface.

Last edited: