Windows 10 bug - Opening and closing your laptop causes it to crash

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Windows 10 bug - Opening and closing your laptop causes it to crash

Microsoft has confirmed the existence of a bug in Desktop Windows Manager where Windows crashes if users open and close their laptops repeatedly.
I finally got my big windows 10 bug I demunded for a long time:
Windows 10 says ‘No Internet’, but Internet is working

fixed with:
1. Open Windows Search.
2. Look for 'Registry Editor'.
3. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet"
4. Modify "EnableActiveProbing" and change the value from 0 to 1.
5. Click on "OK".
6. Close Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

Still, hardly a bug that is blowing up my pc :sneaky:

justplain

Expert Member
On my Dell Latitude 7490 if the battery dies there is a good chance that the sound driver dies. / also seems to sometimes happen when the laptop Hibernates.
I have to boot up, remove the device from device manager and reboot it again.
Simply rebooting or restarting the audio services doesnt solve the problem.
As Far as I can tell I have the latest drivers too... oh well.... not a biggie.

wroemwroem

I had random issues, where after logging in the desktop would flash multiple times, then crash, with LSASS being the offending process. Disabling Fast Start solved that.

Had issues with Colour Management Profiles not applying as I dock and undock, or connect and disconnect displays. It would keep colour profiles and the connected display colour would be off. Restarting solves this.

Similar to above, Night Light would sometimes not go on, or stay on. Replaced it with f.lux.

Fingerprint reader would randomly not work when resuming from sleep. Workaround, use PIN or password.

Screen mirroring to TV intermittently doesn't work. No solution found.

Objects in Word crashes when editing them, which did not happen in the same version of Office but previous version of Windows.

I'm bla bla'ing a lot here. Final thing, I have W10 on my work PC running from a HDD (I know, "SSD", not in my power), with Full Telemetry enabled (I don't mind sharing it in the hopes MS improves their product; I have it disabled at home due to privacy), and all the scanning, compressing and whatever makes the PC so incredibly slow, it's very frustrating to use. CompatTelRunner, looking at you.

Speaking of Telemetry making your PC slow, Google Chrome is probably the worst offender, with SwReporter scanning your entire PC for malware and stuff, maxing out a core of CPU, and thrashing my disk. Chrome, you're a browser, not AV, I have AV, frick (*) off. Solution: Go to AppData - Local - Google - Chrome - User Data - SwReporter, delete the contents, disable inheritance of permissions, enable apply to subfolders (thus remove all permissions), and voilla. No more SwReporter.

Last thing (I promise). Your PC feels a lot faster if you disable Windows animations. Useless "whee" here and "boing" there when moving selection cells around in Excel. I'm not three years old.

Jeez I miss the days of Windows 7 (or even XP), Office 2010, Adobe Acrobat 11 / Adobe CS5/6, etc. Everything was boring but it just worked. Compact menus, verbose messaging (no "oopsie poopsie I pooped an error message), proper documentation, no SaaS, little touch-screen-optimised UXs i.t.o. websites and programs, and ClearType in Office! 2010 was the last one with ClearType. Thank MS for making old fonts like Times New Roman look like ass in 2013+.

Maybe I'm getting old. Should go farm with goats or something...

BBC

I have an issue where by some feature update fscks up my laptop

Black Screen - then I have to uninstall the feature update for it to work (Go through this every week)

Tried disabling it via reg edit etc still no luck

Driving me insane - keep an eye out for the upcoming thread

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I finally got my big windows 10 bug I demunded for a long time:
Windows 10 says ‘No Internet’, but Internet is working

fixed with:
1. Open Windows Search.
2. Look for 'Registry Editor'.
3. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet"
4. Modify "EnableActiveProbing" and change the value from 0 to 1.
5. Click on "OK".
6. Close Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

Still, hardly a bug that is blowing up my pc :sneaky:
Dankie - had the same and assumed it was my VPN :thumbsup:

Duroska_lion

I've had this bug. Whenever I close my laptop lid because I'm moving it from one play to another has completely halted the system. I've lost hours of work at times.
But of course windows crashes when you close the lid. Its one the key things that makes a laptop, a frikken laptop! So why not crash when a user uses that feature? Cause it wouldn't be windows without it!

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
" The bug, which affects laptops running all versions of Windows 10 and using a 4K resolution configuration "

Ok, so thats not a lot.