Windows 10 perpetually slow on laptop

mattrudlles

Expert Member
My personal laptop is perpetually slow to start programs, to start windows, to login and get going, and get lots of not responding messages.

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 from the ISO but to no avail.

Should my machine be this slow? Specs:
  • i3 4th gen mobile cpu (4300U I think);
  • 4 gigs ram;
  • 100 gigs free on the mechanical HDD (5400rpm I think).
Is it my hardware?

It has all the updates installed to current (will double check the version later when I get home).

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I haven't used a mechanical hard drive in years, could be that, got a Intel NUC with a celeron CPU and 4Gb Ram and everything loads super fast, just because of the SSD....
I don't know how people can still use mechanical drives for main OS drive, they are very slow

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
My personal laptop is perpetually slow to start programs, to start windows, to login and get going, and get lots of not responding messages.

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 from the ISO but to no avail.

Should my machine be this slow? Specs:
  • i3 4th gen mobile cpu (4300U I think);
  • 4 gigs ram;
  • 100 gigs free on the mechanical HDD (5400rpm I think).
Is it my hardware?

It has all the updates installed to current (will double check the version later when I get home).

What are you comparing it to though? A work PC with an SSD?

namzsteve

Expert Member
Why do that to yourself? Upgrade your computer, or just downgrade to windows 7.

An SSD will help but your supporting hardware is a bit old.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Why do that to yourself? Upgrade your computer, or just downgrade to windows 7.

An SSD will help but your supporting hardware is a bit old.
No, it isn't due to age. The i3 should be fine for day to day tasks, its TDP is 15W though, it was not meant to be any good for performance.

@mattrudlles I am assuming this is a small netbook? It should be all right for basic usage, but this thing will never be really fast. Note that e.g. Windows updates running in the background will kill the performance of that machine. An SSD should make it feel substantially faster though, best suggestion for improving that machine.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
my i7 has started to slow down after the last windows10 update.... I was googling more about this this morning!

Temujin

Honorary Master
Superfetch can play a role if the HDD is pretty slow, but not usually for starting programs etc., it should actually speed that up.
Especially for things like booting.
http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/SuperFetch_How_it_Works_Myths
Yeah, personally I found with 8gig it causes problems, everytime time someone has said their machine is slow and I say disble it, they're shocked with the sudden increase in performance... imo 4gig like op(even 8gig) machine can't handle superfetch for what its intended purpose is, disable it... if you want to take advantage of it, gonna have to go 16gig+

Either way, he can try it... if no difference, just enable it again:)

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Try disabling and removing the microsoft store and associated crapware that comes preinstalled (candy crush etc).

We used ntlite to create a new ISO image sans m$ store, and it is so much better now. Downside is no calculator, no themes no windows media player, but upside is performance is so much better.

Temujin

Honorary Master
Try disabling and removing the microsoft store and associated crapware that comes preinstalled (candy crush etc).

We used ntlite to create a new ISO image sans m$ store, and it is so much better now. Downside is no calculator, no themes no windows media player, but upside is performance is so much better.
^this too... I once discovered by deleting skype for example(that I never used), 100% disk usage problem vanished:D

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, personally I found with 8gig it causes problems, everytime time someone has said their machine is slow and I say disble it, they're shocked with the sudden increase in performance... imo 4gig like op(even 8gig) machine can't handle superfetch for what its intended purpose is, disable it... if you want to take advantage of it, gonna have to go 16gig+

Either way, he can try it... if no difference, just enable it again:)
Definitely shouldn't have a problem at 8GB, that's really weird. I am sure MS would test at that as it's now one of the most common RAM configurations.

Temujin

Honorary Master
Definitely shouldn't have a problem at 8GB, that's really weird. I am sure MS would test at that as it's now one of the most common RAM configurations.
Was never a problem in 8 for me... problems in 10 all vanished when I turned it off /shrug

Temujin

Honorary Master
Weird, I have no problems with it on the one desktop that was W8.1->W10, is 7200RPM though.
I guess its also very 'user' specific... we'd all be very different on what we're running and what its caching etc
General office work systems it all makes sense, same thing day in day out etc