Windows 10 sign-in fubar

Cruelty

Setup:
Windows 10 Pro, build 18362.449. Lenovo Thinkpad X1 laptop. In a workgroup, not a domain - it's a single, home-use machine.

Scenario:
Fingerprint login was working beautifully for months. The other night, after washing dishes, the fingerprint reader wouldn't accept my fingerprint cos it was all wrinkly from the dishes. A few failed attempts on the fingerprint reader and Windows switched to requiring a PIN. Since I've been using fingerprint login for months (read : I'm stupid), I'd forgotten my PIN so I guessed a few - all failed. Windows then switched to password login. Cool, I know the password so I can login. No problem at all with how Windows goes through the options.

I goto Sign-in options and reset my PIN which requires a login to microsoft.com. I get the security code emailed to me and successfully reset my PIN. Cool, all is good I think. Wrong.

I lock the machine using Win+L, the fingerprint reader lights up and I place my finger on it. Nope. Windows switches to says I need to use my PIN to login. I enter the PIN. Nope, wrong PIN. Enter it again. Nope, still wrong. It's a 4-digit number which I have just set so I know it's right. Then I notice that the field where I'm entering my PIN - because that is what Windows is asking for - has a greyed-out value of "Password". So enter my password. Voila, I'm logged in.

Go back to Sign-in options, remove my fingerprints and set them all up again. Lock the machine and try fingerprint to login. Nope, you need to enter your PIN, and by PIN it actually means password.

I've rebooted and checked for updates, but Windows still wants a PIN (after an attempted fingerprint scan) to login ... which is actually a password. Windows ... WTFF?!

Besides "use Linux / mac", any ideas or suggestions?

OCP

Expert Member
I've given up on windows 10 and fingerprints - far to erratic, problematic and frustrating.

Cruelty

Resolved:

1. Removed my fingerprints from Sign-in options.
2. Removed my PIN as well. I think this was the magic step that reset something.
3. Rebooted. Logged in with password.
4. Went to Sign-in options to add fingerprints. After adding the first finger, it required me to setup a PIN. Added a PIN then added other fingers.
5. Locked machine and successfully unlock with fingerprint.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Resolved:

1. Removed my fingerprints from Sign-in options.
2. Removed my PIN as well. I think this was the magic step that reset something.
3. Rebooted. Logged in with password.
4. Went to Sign-in options to add fingerprints. After adding the first finger, it required me to setup a PIN. Added a PIN then added other fingers.
5. Locked machine and successfully unlock with fingerprint.
6. Remember the bloody pin.

agentrfr

Expert Member
If you are so inclined you can use a startup USB and replace the visual assistance button on the startup screen with a link to a root level cmd terminal. From there you can reset the password when you turn the machine on

If you're around the north of Sandton I can do it for you. It takes 2 minutes

agentrfr

Expert Member
wait why does this only pop up into my feed now lol

nevermind xD

Arthur

Honorary Master
You do know that on the log-in screen you can select the type of log-in you want? You don't have to wait for Windows to cycle through the options such as Fingerprint, PIN, Password, Picture, Hello (face rec), and so on.