• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803: Random Freezing - Anyone Else?

koeks525

Expert Member
Hi everyone,

So it looks like I spoke too soon. I updated my Windows 10 Installation via Windows Update, from 1709 to 1803. The upgrade process took forever (I am pretty sure it took just under 2 hours). Anyway, everything works well with this update, only that my PC has random moments where it freezes. This usually happens when I have a web browser open and several other stuff open (Opera, or Google Chrome). The cursor is responsive, its just everything else that is frozen. The only way of getting the PC out of this state is to close the laptop lid (force it to standby) and open it again - I am able to enter my password and continue with my life. Its a bit annoying having this issue occur every hour or so.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the latest update?

Dave

Honorary Master
Took a while for me as well, but absolutely no problems.

It was almost like a fresh install, I had to opt in to all the data collection and to use voice search for Cortana on first boot.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Doing format on each computer every few month, like a mad since Win10 came out. Modern computing...

No, do not use Cortana. Remove it ASAP.

Dave

Honorary Master
Doing format on each computer every few month, like a mad since Win10 came out. Modern computing...

No, do not use Cortana. Remove it ASAP.
Why? It can be as handy as hey google or Siri if it's good enough. Will give it a test and see...

Dave

Honorary Master
I'll wait a bit before I update till they have most of the bugs sorted.
[MENTION=10188]Geoff.D[/MENTION] has updated 40+ systems without an issue, I don't think you should be worried...

Found his post:
43 PCs updated. Note each belongs to a different owner with his own preferences and apps, so each done individually. Not one hitch.
And I only delete the .old file when there is a space problem.

RedViking

Honorary Master
[MENTION=10188]Geoff.D[/MENTION] has updated 40+ systems without an issue, I don't think you should be worried...

Found his post:
It probably shouldn't, but I have no reason to run an update now. Everything is running smoothly.

Dave

Honorary Master
It probably shouldn't, but I have no reason to run an update now. Everything is running smoothly.
It's your machine to with as you want, but as others have said, it's a smooth update and the laptop definitely feels snappier after the update.

RedViking

Honorary Master
It's your machine to with as you want, but as others have said, it's a smooth update and the laptop definitely feels snappier after the update.
Does it make the lid close faster? Snapping it is not a good idea.

RedViking

Honorary Master
You don't have an auto opening and closing laptop? How behind the times you are!
Like my microwave? No, I don't like doors. Touchscreen is the way forward.... no need to open or close anything, except the microwave door of course.

Dave

Honorary Master
Like my microwave? No, I don't like doors. Touchscreen is the way forward.... no need to open or close anything, except the microwave door of course.
I have a touchscreen on my laptop, it's so last year... :p

HowTo

Expert Member
Morning

Mine was disaster, did mine early morning of Monday.

After every reboot did have security issues. I mean security issues then I mean security issues.
Checked on the wide web for some sort of solutions. Found them but did not help.

Did the best next thing, did a clean install. No more issues.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Morning

Mine was disaster, did mine early morning of Monday.

After every reboot did have security issues. I mean security issues then I mean security issues.
Checked on the wide web for some sort of solutions. Found them but did not help.

Did the best next thing, did a clean install. No more issues.
I think best to do a clean install after major updates or role back to previous version if there were issues.
First time I did the anniversary update I had lots of issues, restored previous versions, waited couple of months and then updated again. The issues were sorted.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Microsoft acknowledged the problem (Fix coming 8 May)

Chrome & Contra seem to be the main apps that cause this also noted to be on laptops with dual GPU's ie: Intel integrated & AMD or Nvidia.

Its an escalation from the Micro stutter problems that popped-up back in 1709.

Last edited: