Windows 10 Update deleted my entire Movies folder

newby_investor

Expert Member
Check the windows old folder as suggested.
NEVER keep stuff in the OS-specific movies or pictures folders. ALWAYS place them in your own folders.
See now what kind of a crappy operating system would force you to think like this? That's what those folders are *for*.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Check the windows old folder as suggested.
NEVER keep stuff in the OS-specific movies or pictures folders. ALWAYS place them in your own folders.
Yeah the update somehow "reset" the system folders. Anyway luckily I had a back up from a while back, but the most recent stuff is gone. Lost all of Dark Matter and Game of Thrones though. Suppose there's worse things in life :)

kolaval

Expert Member
I'm guessing it was in your downloads folder?
Which now get cleaned(by default) if you clean up your drive:
1558332570061.png

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
See now what kind of a crappy operating system would force you to think like this? That's what those folders are *for*.
No, just common sense about ANY operating system. Keep the stuff YOU want in your own folders and back up regularly.

newby_investor

Expert Member
No, just common sense about ANY operating system. Keep the stuff YOU want in your own folders and back up regularly.
Obviously one should keep backups because there are multiple points of failure.

But "Ooh, here's a folder labelled 'Videos', I should probably not use it for anything remotely resembling a video in case the operating system deletes it" is just retarded.

Suspect99

Executive Member
It's a common practice because the OS tends to delete stuff in those folders. But surely, common/ logical sense should mean you can put videos in the videos folder and music in the music folder?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Obviously one should keep backups because there are multiple points of failure.

But "Ooh, here's a folder labelled 'Videos', I should probably not use it for anything remotely resembling a video in case the operating system deletes it" is just retarded.
Software developers are never to be trusted. They proved that with the very first version of Windows ever written. Keep the stuff you want in your own folders. We went so far in the old days to partition our disks keeping ALL our files in a separate partition.
No longer a good idea with Windows as the OS.
That mistrust still lingers with all of us for very good reason.
Software developers are just plain and simply careless about small details. I don't use any designated folders created by the OS for anything not even the DL folder. If it is important enough to DL and keep it goes into my own folders very soon after being downloaded. It is called survival.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Software developers are never to be trusted. They proved that with the very first version of Windows ever written. Keep the stuff you want in your own folders. We went so far in the old days to partition our disks keeping ALL our files in a separate partition.
Software developers are just plain and simply careless about small details. I don't use any designated folders created by the OS for anything not even the DL folder. If it is important enough to DL and keep it goes into my own folders very soon after being downloaded. It is called survival.
I wonder if W10 would just get rid of your other partitions these day's.

newby_investor

Expert Member
By that logic, no folder anywhere is "safe", because unless you've written your files by hand to a punch card, there's an operating system and a filesystem (at the very least) involved. Those are software last time I checked, and written by developers.

I use Linux on the desktop at home and at work and make regular use of the "Documents", "Music", whatever folders created by the OS. Never lost a single file. Pretty sure Mac users don't have the issue either.

It's not about losing files as such, backups are a thing obviously and you keep them for a number of reasons. But turn your computer on and your files are gone is incredibly inconvenient to have to restore from backups.

"Don't trust software developers" is just poor. I've moaned about how bad Windows 10 is before on a number of occasions but I didn't realise it was this bad.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah the update somehow "reset" the system folders. Anyway luckily I had a back up from a while back, but the most recent stuff is gone. Lost all of Dark Matter and Game of Thrones though. Suppose there's worse things in life :)
This folder located on a non-C drive with custom path I guess?

Rharia

Yes, some update was deleting Movies folder and some other user data, but that doesn't mean practically anything cause lot of them really not having that much info. You really need to get to some tools for restore point of your windows and that's it. I bet it could be get back.

Gardagar

That's what I am fearing the most, is it that latest update like 1903 ? Have you already installed it and got it all deleted, correct ? I bet you did, well, then I am waiting for that a bit or at least making the backup, that's for sure. All replies are very solid here.