Windows 10 Update deleted my entire Movies folder

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I had nothing deleted when I did the 1903 update. I've never had a Windows update delete my data - not even when upgrading between operating systems. How strange.

Even if stuff was deleted though it would be immaterial. Make sure you have Office 365 if you're a Windows user and you can put all your documents and photos in OneDrive. Locally stored films and TV shows should never be on C Drive. Music should be cloud-based. Games can be redownloaded if need be and your saves should be safe in the cloud.

jerro43

Software developers are never to be trusted. They proved that with the very first version of Windows ever written.

Keep the stuff you want in your own folders. We went so far in the old days to partition our disks keeping ALL our files in a separate partition.

No longer a good idea with Windows as the OS.

That mistrust still lingers with all of us for very good reason.

Even if stuff was deleted though it would be immaterial. Make sure you have Office 365 if you're a Windows user and you can put all your documents and photos in OneDrive. Locally stored films and TV shows should never be on C Drive. Music should be cloud-based. Games can be redownloaded if need be and your saves should be safe in the cloud. When I ping the cloud server i faced ICMP error messages. Faced Destination error messages both host unreachable and net unreachable with the connection. Links to both solutions https://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/05/destination-host-unreachable-reason-and.html and here. https://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/05/destination-net-unreachable-icmp-error.html Software developers are just plain and simply careless about small details. I don't use any designated folders created by the OS for anything not even the DL folder. If it is important enough to DL and keep it goes into my own folders very soon after being downloaded. It is called survival.
I never store any files in C drive. Cannot trust Windows updates which start automatically and then no option to stop or delay. Just wait until it does whatever the update intended to.

Last edited:

bradrap

I never store any files in C drive. Cannot trust Windows updates which start automatically and then no option to stop or delay. Just wait until it does whatever the update intended to.
You've always been able to stop it with local group policy.

Local Group Policy Editor > Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates > set Configures Windows Updates to Disabled

BloodrayneZA

Expert Member
Check the windows old folder as suggested.
NEVER keep stuff in the OS-specific movies or pictures folders. ALWAYS place them in your own folders.
Exactly why I have 3 other hard drives to keep all my personal data - the windows boot drive is specifically ONLY for windows storage, updates and commonly used software, that's it.

Claymore

Executive Member
The only time I've seen Windows 10 delete data is when it's done a double feature update run manually and something's gone wrong. When you do a feature update manually, it backs up the "old" Windows, Program Files, and Users folders under Windows.old. If something goes wrong before the data is restored, and the update is re-run, it will back up your "clean" new folders to Windows.old, deleting the old ones in the process.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I've identified the problem for you....

screenshot.842.jpg

The problem we are having is that one of our computers at our branch in Cape Town is stuck in update download mode.... so far has wasted over 300 Gigs of data this month... We can't figure out how to turn it off... short of turning off the whole PC.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
This is the reason I only have Windows 10 on my gaming PC and all data is stored on my HP Microserver running Ubuntu server.