Windows 11 is officially launching next weeks and is already running on many PCs prior to the release

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Ran it for a week or so .... can't really see what the difference is other than cosmetics.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
I was offered the upgrade two days ago. So far so good. Just more ... Windows I guess. No bugs or anything so far. Enjoying the new cosmetics.

I'm not a power user anymore so I can't speak from that perspective. But for the average Joe that doesn't get into the technicalities.. it's fine.

Nuro

Expert Member
As a big Linux fan and daily user, I actually wouldn't be surprised of there are already more Win 11 machines than Linux in the desktop space. Many people were upset when MS announced the system requirements for Win 11, but the truth is that people would rather run unsupported Win 11 than Linux as a desktop OS. There are many reasons for this that I don't really want to get into now, but it is interesting.

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
I was offered the upgrade two days ago. So far so good. Just more ... Windows I guess. No bugs or anything so far. Enjoying the new cosmetics.

I'm not a power user anymore so I can't speak from that perspective. But for the average Joe that doesn't get into the technicalities.. it's fine.
How were you offered it early?
What's your system specs ?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Ran it for a week or so .... can't really see what the difference is other than cosmetics.

It's technically a security update which requires hardware.

I'm convinced the only reason why windows 11 is even a thing is because of tpm. It's not the other way around.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This what is now annoying. My laptop keeps offering me this upgrade but I have already established that it is not compatible. So if that is the case, why don't they stop with this? There is nothing I can do to this laptop to make it compatible either.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
For once, I am not going to rush to the next new Windows. I am still happy with Windows 10. The moment Google Services are easily installable, I might reconsider.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
As a big Linux fan and daily user, I actually wouldn't be surprised of there are already more Win 11 machines than Linux in the desktop space. Many people were upset when MS announced the system requirements for Win 11, but the truth is that people would rather run unsupported Win 11 than Linux as a desktop OS. There are many reasons for this that I don't really want to get into now, but it is interesting.
Yeah no. There are zillions of Chromebooks in the wild.

Francois Marais

My system loaded Windows 11 this morning. Not sure how I got the upgrade this soon.

I ran the RC for the past week on my one notebook to test the installer. They did change a bit on the installer since the last Beta I tested. One thing is that I could not choose the Offline account as soon as the system connected to WiFi. So I would bypass the WiFi setup at the start to choose an offline account.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I can't even change settings to get on the insider program

1633101528378.png

Not on a domain and I gave up hacking the registry.

system32

Expert Member
I'm going to have to give it a skip.
My Skylake i6700k 4.0Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD is not good enuf for Win 11.

dabbler

Expert Member
I tried to install Windows 11 on my laptop last night (Lenovo Ideapad 300 with i5 6200U CPU) and soon after the second reboot I ended up with an error telling me my PC needs to reboot. The Windows 11 setup was reversed and eventually ended up with Windows 10 again.