Windows 11 officially rolls out

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Well so here is the thing.

I have a HP Zbook with 64gb of ram, I7 6 core cpu (6th gen), and 4k screen, let alone a quadro graphics card. But alas it cant run windows 11. (bought 2 years ago for R40k

Then for work use an I7 laptop (7th gen), oops also not support Windows 11. R35k laptop, 1 year ago.

Then lastly run 3 I7 HP Desktops for my kids, GT 1030 graphics (ok its sff), with 32gb of ram each and Samsung Pro 970 SSD. But alas its 5th gen CPU. So also dont support Windows 11.

So will rather stay with Windows 10, or buy them macs next time. That way I get well Apple Office and photo editors and garageband free. With lifetime free updates.

Not to be overly harsh here, but just because you bought them 2 years and 1 year ago doesn't mean you don't have a 4 year old and 5 year old laptop (at best).

I also have some bad news for your Mac dreams.
The version of OSX released this year may well support your CPU version, but they only support older OS versions 2 years old. So your older devices will run out of support around the same time or earlier than with Windows.

But yes, it does suck. My i7 2600K is great, and will still be very usable when they drop support for windows 10 in 2025.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I dont know how gaming will be affected?
also older machines like my X230 so will hold out till we get the first wave of complaints.

Last video I saw show gaming performance is more or less the same. I think a few games were faster, and some were slower, both around 1-2%.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Can't believe they shipped this with that janky legacy context menu in a context menu.
also the fact even after a decade, they still have two settings menu's

Microsoft just loves shipping legacy interfaces, instead of just finishing the new interfaces.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not to be overly harsh here, but just because you bought them 2 years and 1 year ago doesn't mean you don't have a 4 year old and 5 year old laptop (at best).

I also have some bad news for your Mac dreams.
The version of OSX released this year may well support your CPU version, but they only support older OS versions 2 years old. So your older devices will run out of support around the same time or earlier than with Windows.

But yes, it does suck. My i7 2600K is great, and will still be very usable when they drop support for windows 10 in 2025.
It's the corporate way. Now even your PC is a subscription service. Never mind the landfill.

airborne

Honorary Master
This is the real reason to upgrade.
But does the app Store have anything worthwhile in it?

Last I looked it's just largely filled with garbage, amazing that the most used desktop OS has the worst app Store. The MacOs app Store has some amazing stuff.

CorneliusCenturion

Last I looked it's just largely filled with garbage, amazing that the most used desktop OS has the worst app Store. The MacOs app Store has some amazing stuff.
I kind of enjoy Paint3D

OCP

Expert Member

They can copy the store but not the content (much like UI/etc)....

i.got~issues

Expert Member
Uuurgh

Installed on my Dell G3 lappie ... still big huge icons, scroll and scroll startmenu, WTF is up with the taskbar? Crap context menu. Mishmash of visual styles. Dark mode still sucks.

No, just no no no.

Rolled back.

Keep it thanks. Don't want it.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Anyone know how good HDR support is?
On windows 10 on my desktop it sucks, with some windows being brighter on others, and the brightness changing noticeably. Even in some non-HDR games it will suddenly make everything brighter if my desktop is in HDR mode.

On my Dell laptop it's much better.

Flashgear

Flashgear
Been using it on my laptop with no issues, nice feel.

Desktop rollout being done this afternoon.

daveza

Honorary Master

DearHeart

Expert Member
Downloaded the Win11 ISO this morning and did a dual-boot with 10. When I booted back into 10 I noticed that 11 started downloading already, without asking me for permission or anything. The only way I could stop it was to pause updates for 7 days. According to info one is suppose to get a prompt first, anyone?