Windows 11 rollout begins on 5 October

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Will wait about 3 months before I try it.

although the auto HDR and better multi-monitor support is very tempting

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I wonder if Microsoft will relax the TPM 2.0 requirement when it goes public to the older systems ... sure they won't get the specific security that enables, but all the visual treats could still be offered.

eg2505

Honorary Master
wait for full release, then a few more months afterwards,
Lemmings are the first to die.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Will wait about 3 months before I try it.

although the auto HDR and better multi-monitor support is very tempting
Yup, did the same thing with Win 10, considering the amount of issues it had on launch...

Gekco

Expert Member
I have been running the insider release on a i7200U laptop with no issues. It is TPM 2.0 compliant so I see no reason why MS can't add it to their list

quovadis

Executive Member
I wonder if Microsoft will relax the TPM 2.0 requirement when it goes public to the older systems ... sure they won't get the specific security that enables, but all the visual treats could still be offered.
There seems to be some mixed messaging on this. You may be able to run Windows 11 on older hardware with no support (new installations only/no upgrades) and quite possible without updates. I guess we'll have to wait and see when October comes around.

Ferog

It's great for Linux adoption at least I hope. Microsoft have only become a stronger monopoly often by making small inconveniences eg. with Outlook calendar invites/amendments not playing well with Google Calendar, VC equipment that is Teams certified not working with Zoom etc.

It basically becomes impossible for an alternative platform to come about as they've made so many dependencies and own the whole market practically. Then when everyone is cloud based, the prices go up and they got you by the you know what.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Cries in 6700K

Same problem for me. My hardware does just what I need it to at present though: not upgrading simply to receive Windows 11.

My current plan is to remain on Windows 10 until around 6 months to end of support (I have an Enterprise license, so this be later than most), and then evaluate whether to upgrade any hardware needed to go to Windows 11 (it's entirely possible that, by then, I would have upgraded my hardware naturally) or switch to Linux/BSD. At present, I'm reducing all of my Microsoft dependencies as I'm predicting that the latter route will ultimately prevail.

milomak

Honorary Master
been running the windows 11 insider for some time.

some irritating cosmetic changes but by and large like win10

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Anyone know where to get the iso for preview builds? Want to try on my spare laptop (c. 2017 Lenovo IdeaPad 510s)...I did not see a setting in BIOS about TPM 2.0 enabling...but wanted to test drive until officially out.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I wonder if they will irritatingly push it like they did Win 10 (sudden overnight auto upgrades and irritating messages and whatever else)...