Windows 7 - THIS IS RIDICULOUS! (Review)

NoRulez

Don't know if I can trust a person that can't even use the spell checker. What didn't they include it?!
Spell checkers are based on the MXit and SMS texting language... No need to be able to spell correctly, as long as the message gets across. Jeez, they don't even teach spelling as a subject in schools anymore!:eek:

Lord-Nikon

Expert Member
Tried and tested Win7... yeah, it SUCKS! Not even one of my drivers were picked up during install and I had to take my HDD out to format it in another machine because install couldn't do it... :D

Back on Vista now and SP2. Machine is running smooth and error free. Really faster and IE8 is a breeze! Seriously, SP2 made all the difference...

ShockG

Expert Member
Its funny how all the linux supporters come out of the woodwork when there's a thread relating to Windows. Yet despite the numerous updates for Linux etc... I've yet to see a windows user jump on every thread talking down linux etc... Seems like some people have an axe to grind.

Thing is, yes maybe Microsoft windows is the worst thing on this planet, but as linux fans it looks sad when the only way to prove your superiority is by running down the worst OS on the planet. If Linux's claim to fame is that it's better than the worst there is well its a bit like getting excited cause you beat the one legged kid in a dance marathon :/

It's also puzzling that Linux die hard users can for certain say or elude that distro X of Linux is better than an OS that isn't even released yet... (windows7).

One day I'd like to read a thread about windows where the Linux Brigade doesn't feel the need to tell people how much better their chosen OS is. I'd also like to one day know if its possible to sell linux on its own merits and not on MS window's short comings compared to it.

NoRulez

Its funny how all the linux supporters come out of the woodwork when there's a thread relating to Windows. Yet despite the numerous updates for Linux etc... I've yet to see a windows user jump on every thread talking down linux etc... Seems like some people have an axe to grind.

Thing is, yes maybe Microsoft windows is the worst thing on this planet, but as linux fans it looks sad when the only way to prove your superiority is by running down the worst OS on the planet. If Linux's claim to fame is that it's better than the worst there is well its a bit like getting excited cause you beat the one legged kid in a dance marathon :/

It's also puzzling that Linux die hard users can for certain say or elude that distro X of Linux is better than an OS that isn't even released yet... (windows7).

One day I'd like to read a thread about windows where the Linux Brigade doesn't feel the need to tell people how much better their chosen OS is. I'd also like to one day know if its possible to sell linux on its own merits and not on MS window's short comings compared to it.

hmmm...:rolleyes: My sentiments exactly. Every OS has its own use. Although Windoze is not as stable, there are a lot less software complications in the event of the regular, unscheduled power outages we're experiencing.
There are also a lot more software packages that run in Windoze than there will ever be available for any Linux distro.
Linux is nice for business use, but really sucks major when it comes to multimedia and gaming. Even MAC kicks its butt in this area! The GUI also sucks - Windoze and MAC look much better.
I'd rather stick with an unstable OS that can do everything I need, than struggle to get drivers, software and other stuff just to try and impress people... :cool:
I'm running W2K3 as server OS, XP on a work machine and running a Linux VMWare image on my Vista PC and Laptop for training purposes only.
Only time my Vista gets restarted is when installing certain updates and in the event of power outages. W2K3 is stable as hell and keeps running better than a Duracell Bunny... :D

Lino

I am back
Wait wait, I hope people are not judging Windows 7 already! It is not even in better. I remember testing Vista when it was at this stage that Windows 7 is.

It was awful however Windows 7 is not that bad. In fact all things considered I think it is pretty good and will be much better than Vista.

If you are going to judge Windows 7 wait until it is released!

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well i am not sure where you get that windows is unstable, vista is totally stable, runs like a dream 24/7, xp has a couple of moments but it's still a rock solid platform.

Windows is not the worst OS on the planet thats for sure, i agree though that linux okes make linux look really poor by trolling windows threads the whole time. It's rather sad to be honest.

Lino

I am back
Coming from a Windows and Linux user.

This propaganda and OS bashing makes me sick! Use what ever OS you want to, at the end of the day no one really cares if you using Windows or *Nix!

bekdik

Honorary Master
Coming from a Windows and Linux user.

This propaganda and OS bashing makes me sick! Use what ever OS you want to, at the end of the day no one really cares if you using Windows or *Nix!

Exactly.

BTW, why do I notice more negative comments from those who don't use an OS as a matter of course?

The_Techie

Resident Techie
I reserve judgment until it's officially released. I just hope I have less issues with it than I did with Vista when it was first released.

anathema

Banned
I really cannot understand the negative press about Vista and never have. I have been using Windows Vista for a while without a problem.

I am curious to see what Windows 7 will have to offer, as from the beginning it has sounded like Windows 7 is what Windows Vista was meant to be.

Pity one has to pay or jump through licensing hoops before one can test a new OS from Microsoft.

d0b33

Honorary Master
i agree though that linux okes make linux look really poor by trolling windows threads the whole time. It's rather sad to be honest.

Its funny how all the linux supporters come out of the woodwork when there's a thread relating to Windows....

One day I'd like to read a thread about windows where the Linux Brigade doesn't feel the need to tell people how much better their chosen OS is.

Oh please... don't start blaming the linux users for derailing the thread, killadoob started it followed by some other Windows fanbois, my first comment in this thread was only about Windows 7, we never brought Linux in to it you guys did.

Last edited:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
http://www.winxpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25971

M$ sponsored shill wrote:
Right now, I have 6 applications open, including three independent Internet Explorer browsers, Word 2007, Powerpoint 2007, Windows Messenger, AVG Free 8.0, and a couple of Explorer windows and I am using a TOTAL of 900MB. DID YOU READ THAT MICROSOFT! 900 MB Total! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!

I ran Windows 3.1 with Microsoft Word 2.0 fine on a i386 40MHz machine with get this 5MB of RAM. I think Word took like 2MB RAM at that stage.

It did the same stuff - edited a 50 page manual with tables, different fonts, paragraph breaks etc - on that setup.

So double that for PowerPoint and add another 2MB x 3 for Exploder and 1MB x (several - make it 10) windows and one MS Messanger = 22MB.

All to basically do the same thing.... sheesh. 900MB LOL.

Right now can easily run PowerPoint 2003, Winword 2003, Firewall, antivirus, numerous instances of Exploder, Skype, VoipCheap and much more and have 1.2GB free out of 2GB total on my here Toughbook. All running XP though.

My browsing speed is fine, limited by the connection speed.

That guy is a shill....

4. A shill is one who posts messages as a spokesperson or "front" for an unseen group or organization, usually at odds to the topics being discussed.

The shills have joined trolls as parasitical newsgroup fauna, destroying the balance of free discussion, degrading the level of information, feeding like preditors on newsgroup populations that contain the resource that they seek to convert to money.

Remember, shills are creatures of darkness, and their enemy is the light. Shills can only succeed as far as they fool people, a shill is by definition an agent of deception, similar to a con artist, but acting on a target market instead of individuals. Shills always act on profit, and the motive, opportunity, and promise of profit, which in direct proportion to the degree of such, will spawn shills as surely as rotten meat spawns magots.
Awareness of shills is a first defense against shills. Shills unmasked are no longer shills, no longer effective.

http://searchlores.org/trolls.htm#kook
B U L L _ H I T!

Arthur

Honorary Master
have a look at this :D. seems like window's 7 is just Vista that feels faster : http://gizmodo.com/5082267/windows-7-benchmarked-actually-faster-than-vista-or-just-feels-like-it
And Vista is just Win2K3 with a desktop superstructure, which is Server2K, which is NT4.0... sortof, kinda.

The point is: it's history is a strength, not a weakness. No-one, not even Microsoft, can write an entirely new operating system every few years. I sometimes think that people who expect something entirely new just don't understand how complex an OS is under the covers (not you, scotty777 - this is just a general observation).

Though we today use "operating system" to mean the whole thing we install to run the system and apps, from an architectural perspective there are many layers and subsystems from the Hardware Abstraction Layer, through the kernel, into the Executive and so on up into the user-level subsystems.

To use a motoring analogy, Vista has a rock-solid and powerful engine, outstanding gearbox and drivetrain, decent tyres, and a taught chassis, suspension & steering systems, plus a whole host of smart subsystems like ABS, SC, ASC, ATC, etc. It even has a built-in Sport mode (DirectX). What users see is the body shape, doors, seats, dashboard, instrumentation, steering wheel, gear lever, pedals, and flicker/wiper/light stalks. Vista introduced automatic default seatbelts and owner-recognition doors. And because thousands of hackers are daily trying to pour dirty laced petrol into the tank, or oil laced with iron filings in to the sump, there's an attempt to put more controls and filters over these orifices - you can't just seal the petrol filler and sump and never allow anyone to ever add fuel, oil, water, or accessories. Now people might not like this year's body shape, seats, and such like, but the underlying mechanics is superb.

Of course the motoring analogy can be taken only so far ... the engine and stuff in a car are hardware, whereas the MS systems are entirely soft. The point I'm trying to make is simply that the basic engineering is very sound. And yes, any smarty-pants can say "what's the use of having a great car if it BSDs every 5 minutes". Even on this point there's a fact that I know from first-hand experience both inside and outside Microsoft: about 99% of the BSDs, crashes and stoppages are due to non-Microsoft crapware (bad drivers), badly-written apps, or flaky hardware --- unlike with cars, anyone can write software that directly controls key elements like ignition timing and fuel feed, and if they ignore Microsoft programming guidelines, they can cripple a system in seconds. It's much like putting molasses in the petrol. There are millions and millions of users who run MS operating systems without hassle or breakdown. I'm running Vista x64 with 4GB on fairly decent hardware, and it's rock solid, blindingly fast, and an absolute delight to use. There are plentsch users who will report the same.

I'm looking forward to next year's model, with sleeker body, nicer seats, better instruments, smarter navigation, and stuff. If that's not your preference, get a small sports car or a Ferrari, or a bakkie, or whatever suits your needs. It's really stupid buying a sedan and then complaining that it badly designed because it doesn't have an open bakkie boot with tipper. Get the tool that meets your needs. After all, it's just an operating system, not a life philosophy.

Last edited:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I'm running Vista x64 with 4GB on fairly decent hardware, and it's rock solid, blindingly fast, and an absolute delight to use. There are plentsch users who will report the same.

I'm just wondering what you need that much RAM for?

Perhaps you really need that horsepower. However most users, this includes most business users only need reasonably light functionality - in fact they only need functionality we've had since 1998. Panasonic (the leading make of business laptops for Japanese business users) only bundle a max of 2GB of RAM - in fact it's impossible to add more.

XP runs fine on decent hardware and with only a Pentium II or Pentium 3 M processor for a laptop, and 1GB RAM (even 512MB) one can run MS Office, run multiple Explorer Windows, Internet Exploder or what-have-you, FireWall, AV, HIPS, and a good few Instant messaging systems. Now why use 4GB? Why use Vista? What has it done extra for productivity?

I gather gamers who need Direct X10 need Vista.
I also gather some people who run virtualisation software may need Vista 64.
However most users who use the internet and Office don't need any beefier HW than what we've used since 1999. It's a pity that one has to upgrade so much to upgrade the OS to do the same things at the same or slower speed these days and M$ is guilty of that. They've become the monopoly through backhanded tactics and through other nastiness - bought up and closed down competitors, corrupted computer makers into bunding MS operating systems, tried to kill off Apple by stealing Quicktime while their VFW was a dud and so on....

MS made its own bed and it should sleep in it. Maybe, they should accept the Unix kernel the way Apple has and build on top of that? Give a functioning operating system which actually gets faster with each iteration instead of requiring double HW requirements.

For a user utilising Office, internet and communication apps like Lotus Notes, there is no need to upgrade to Vista. There is no need to get more RAM, even though it's cheap.

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Oh please... don't start blaming the linux users for derailing the thread, killadoob started it followed by some other Windows fanbois, my first comment in this thread was only about Windows 7, we never brought Linux in to it you guys did.

Dude why you so defensive, could it be true linux okes put windows down almost every windows thread? You never struck me a windows hater though, gary we know is a linux oke but you seem to be on the line as such.

Why so defensive Mr aqua man :p

Noah

Expert Member
I run Vista Ultimate 32bit on 2GB ram and AMD Athlone 3500+.
And it runs great.
He doesn't need that much ram he just wants it.
And most retail PC now days almost have more than I have.
You say upgrade so much.

CPU atleast 2Ghz not that much probably already have
Ram 2GB R199 per gig
And a graphics card if you need the visuals
I saw a 8400GS (My card) for R300 somewhere
AND SP1
is that so much.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
I'm just wondering what you need that much RAM for?

Perhaps you really need that horsepower. However most users, this includes most business users only need reasonably light functionality - in fact they only need functionality we've had since 1998. ...

That is true, the specs on a pc made in 1998 is probably good enough for the majority of people.
Multimedia playback, word processing and messing about on the net are what most users do.
Don't need a monster pc or hugely functional operating system for that.