Windows 8: can Microsoft revitalise their desktop OS?

Tjoker

Expert Member
Video looks cool.........but the File Explorer looks like Windows 7.......so is this actually Windows 7.1 with Improved, Smoother Graphics?

somnambulist

Video looks cool.........but the File Explorer looks like Windows 7.......so is this actually Windows 7.1 with Improved, Smoother Graphics?
Yeah looks like the "metro-fication" was only skin deep .... :mad: Sigh was expecting for a total revamp, even of the office suite.:confused: Looks like they have to keep the enterprise folk happy with the status quo and drop the ball on innovation... :crying:

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
If they remove backward compatibilty they gonna bleed even more customers. The only reason so many businessess put up with the viruses etc is becaus eof the backward compatibilty.

benitok

I hope all those features will be disabled in Windows 8 for the office environment.

Last edited:

Johnn0

That is a nice interface for a tablet for sure but not sure if I want it on my desktop at least not as default.

c10n3d_0r6

I think there's going to be different interfaces for different devices. Desktops and laptops with the normal start menu etc and tablets with the tiles menu.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
This guy clearly hasn't kept up with the announcements around Win8, most his questions were answered at D9 last night.

You will still be able to run legacy applications, but it seems like this will have to be done in some kind of virtual machine environment running an updated version of Windows 7. This can be compared to how DOS (command promt) can still be run in Windows.
It was made abundantly clear in the Q&A that this isn't the case; the Metro UI and classic Windows UI aren't layers, they co-exist in the UI, and it goes so far as to be able to split the screen and run metro/metro or metro/class side-by-side.

It is unlikely that the classic Windows environment will be able to run on tablet PCs and in-vehicle-infotainment systems due to the high system requirements
It was demo'ed running classic windows apps on an Atom.

It is not yet clear whether the classic Windows environment will be included in all versions of Windows 8 by default, or if it will be a separate additional feature.
It is clear, the exact quote from the MS lady demo'ing it was: "Larsen-Green: You can’t turn the desktop off. You can choose never to go there…but it’s always there."

it’s difficult to imagine Photoshop or Excel running in a Windows 8 environment without having to resort to the classic Windows desktop. Perhaps these features are yet to be revealed, or perhaps they are going to resort to running a virtual machine for content creation applications.
Again, photoshop was an example used in the win8 reveal why the 2 UIs are needed - the Metro UI isn't geared toward content creation. There are no VM's involved, I'm not sure where the author pulled that idea from.

It's obvious that this guy is an open source fan, but if you're going to write a thinly veiled "win8 stole all it's cool stuff from OSS" article, at least get the basic facts right!

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's early days yet. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the article & video. As any programmer knows, the way something looks has very little to do with the underlying code.

The Metro interface is for touch-driven devices, not desktops. Microsoft does not expect all office systems to miraculously morph into touch-screen systems by late 2012.

MMM is absolutely right. Backward compatibility always has been a CSF. That's by far the largest challenge for Microsoft. It's quite easy to do something entirely new, and MS Research has lots of lovely goodies. It's very very hard bringing the past with you, especially when the programming architectures come from days when memory was highly constrained and very expensive.

eug

I think the author pulled this article out his bum without even watching the demo videos. What a piece of junk article.

Nookie

This article is as biased as hell, the "source" he has dates from Saturday, January 27, 2007 .

I guess Windows Mobile never had the rather large market share it did. I must also be imagining the massive uptake Windows 7 has had?

Valis

Expert Member
Innovation? Micro$oft wouldn't know innovation if it came up and bit them on the ass :p Monolithic, giant corporations are really not known for being innovative.

Joe Average

I think there's going to be different interfaces for different devices. Desktops and laptops with the normal start menu etc and tablets with the tiles menu.
If you watched the video carefully you would have noticed both worlds (mobile interface and classic desktop) will be available via one OS (Win8). Powerfull indeed.