Windows 8 could spark a low cost laptop battle

Avenue

Expert Member
it doesnt help when you pay as much for the os as you do for the laptop

elvis_presley

Expert Member
it doesnt help when you pay as much for the os as you do for the laptop
I haven't seen a laptop sold without an OS for yeeeeaaars. It's safe to assume the price includes the OS, seeing as it's talking about the "price bracket".

oldhat

Expert Member
Not a MS fan, but will be happy to see prices drop - whatever the reason!

cerebus

Honorary Master
Seeing=believing. M$ dropping prices would be pretty unprecedented. Their current revenue stream is 50% windows/office/enterprise, 30% Xbox, 25% patent trolling and 5% Nokia wp7 licensing

iCare

just hope it's not another Win Me or Vista style approach, hopefully learnt their lesson by now, you'd think

eug

Im quite keen to pick up a cheap win8 laptop... or maybe i'll get a tablet rather.

Enygma

All I know is that I was Very annoyed the day they started selling all low-level laptops preloaded with Vista...

oldhat

Expert Member
I just wish we could get our hardware(especially laptops & netbooks) WITHOUT any bundled software(OS) & then choose what we want to install on it!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The entire theory has a few _massive_ holes in it.

Operating systems aren't particularly useful on their own. You need applications. Windows has a massive ecosystem of those. Millions of them. And approximately zero of those will run on your nice new ARM notebook. They are all compiled for the x86 micro-architecture and won't run on ARM....not even with compatibility mode and fairy dust.

So essentially MS will have to convince people to buy an overpriced OS for which no software exists. It gets better: They'll have to compete against 2 tried and tested solutions that essentially do the same thing minus the problems: Windows on x86 and Android/Linux on ARM.

Another factor that these fine analysts keep getting wrong is ARM's price advantage: Its an illusion. Intel is king of the hill and charges a premium because they *can*. If Intel feels there is danger in their core market though, they'll drop the premium (temporarily). Then they a price advantage (or parity), a performance advantage and plain x86 inertia on their side. Good luck competing against that.

mak2000

Expert Member
Read somewhere that by 2015 all the people that are target market for tablets would have bought one.. guess that means most will ditch the laptops. Also, tablets are bound to get cheaper