Windows 8 launch pricing for South Africa emerges

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I got a Vista Disk at home I think I can upgrade to windows 8 for cheap

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Steve Ballmer says thank you for upgrading. Developers, developers, developers.....

This lets users of the older versions of Windows upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 (around R350 at the time of writing) using their South African credit card, Erasmus said.

Whhhoooo SA is joining the global community!!! What else, maybe Starbucks???

Still I hope one can use PayPal, I wouldn't want to share my cc details with Microsoft.

Last edited:

Big Bean

What is the price to upgrade to Windows 8 'Regular' / 'Home'?

This lets users of the older versions of Windows upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

K

kingrob

I'm happy with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on my desktop pc.

Maybe when I get a new laptop, and it comes preinstalled with Windows 8, I might give it another try.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Whhhoooo SA is joining the global community!!! What else, maybe Starbucks???

Still I hope one can use PayPal, I wouldn't want to share my cc details with Microsoft.

Hahahahaha, you say that as if they do not already have it. What makes you think the Windows OS does not record such detail?

Not that I do not trust them, its just that I think that is one company that if they wanted all your info they could have it as easy as pie.

Also they will need it if you want to buy any software for your lovely new OS, All "metro" apps can only come from Microsoft via their Marketplace, no more sideloading on that front.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If you don't currently think Windows 8 is terrible, watch a few Youtube videos on it and you will. I'll wait for Windows 9 thanks.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
If you don't currently think Windows 8 is terrible, watch a few Youtube videos on it and you will. I'll wait for Windows 9 thanks.

I do not need a video, running Windows 8 on my desktop. I did tweak it to boot to desktop and added a Start menu, after that its all smooth sailing, in fact its better than Windows 7

nihilist

Expert Member
According to Microsoft, users will not be able to upgrade across architectures, i.e. from 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7 to 64-bit.

Well that's bloody marvelous :mad:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I do not need a video, running Windows 8 on my desktop. I did tweak it to boot to desktop and added a Start menu, after that its all smooth sailing, in fact its better than Windows 7

What did you install to do all that? Is the start menu a Windows 7 clone?

dzasta2002

Don't knock it till you've tried it. I like the speedy response of Win 8 and improved battery life on the Lappy.

Penquin

Expert Member
Can't wait for Friday! I'll purchase and start my download early morning. After 3 years of using the same Windows 7 install, my PC is in desperate need of a fresh OS installation.

falcon786

Honorary Master
I'm on windows 8 consumer preview and so far enjoying it on my laptop,just don't use the metro/modern interface if you don't have a touch screen,i skip straight to desktop.

I enjoy the new office like toolbar in windows explorer,just makes life easier and quicker.
Search and settings on the right also proves to be convenient and its fast, especially on startup.

replicant

MS already delivered our copy for Windows 8 on our volume license our whole tech department is running it the haters hated for a while and now they don't want to go back. I love it and will recommend it for any one except for people who take two years to learn a new layout.