Windows and Office Piracy in South Africa

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
That would be 480 million more bucks for the ANC to squander. Is that supposed to be a benefit?

rwenzori

Honorary Master
“Because we find the victims are invariably the same people:
"Victims" LOL!

“For a start, non-genuine software leaves computer owners without support or protection,” she said.
Support? She be kidding us, surely.

BTW Monique dear, can I get a nice printed manual with my next copy of Windows please, like we used to get with DOS 3.3. That way I won't need to make use of your non-existent support.

Quoting figures from the Business Software Alliance (BSA) 2011 study which showed that the commercial value of unlicensed software in South Africa has doubled in the past four years (from $284m in 2007 to $564m in 2011),
Only because of your inflated pricing, duckie. And never, ever, believe anything from the Bull Shirt Alliance - there, I've given you a lesson in Life Orientation! :)

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Support?! When did anyone actually last log a call with microsoft!

10i

Expert Member
if windows and office sold at reasonable prices people would buy them.

I teach people to use their PC's for a living and nobody has objected to using libreoffice,
instead of pirating office. open source win! a program with support, no threat of viruses,
and most users don't need more.

Pianoman

The notion that people unknowingly buy pirated software is a lie. I think those that want to do it legitimately know better than to buy Windows at the spaza shop down the road.

As for the support, I get all the updates that paid Windows users get and use Google if I have any questions about Windows (not that I am aware you can even contact Microsoft directly for support). No way I would ever pay upwards of R1000 just to operate my PC when I already paid a couple of thousand to put it together.

Last edited:

Crowley

Executive Member
No way I would ever pay upwards of R1000 just to operate my PC when I already paid a couple of thousand to put it together.
Good thing a car comes with a engine or else you would have put a 1300 vw engine is a Ferrari right?

Beri

Expert Member
The notion that people unknowingly buy pirated software is a lie. I think those that want to do it legitimately know better than to buy Windows at the spaza shop down the road.

As for the support, I get all the updates that paid Windows users get and use Google if I have any questions about Windows (not that I am aware you can even contact Microsoft directly for support). No way I would ever pay upwards of R1000 just to operate my PC when I already paid a couple of thousand to put it together.
Here in pe we had a computer store selling counterfeit windows os as legal ones. A perfect fake. Not a spaza shop. He got a big fine.
People did not know it was fakes

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The BSA also reported that 35% of all software in South Africa is pirated. If this were reduced to 25% in the next four years, the research suggests that it could create an additional R6-billion in economic growth and R480-million in additional tax revenues in South Africa.
BS. Pirating software and spending the money you would have used for software at Steers or Dross will add more to SA's economic growth and reduce unemployment.

burn

Expert Member
I often wonder how the software market would look in a world where everyone bought software.

Would MS still have such a widespread use of its product or would Linux and projects like OpenOffice/LibreOffice be given a lot more support from the start and be completely different to what they are today. Could one speculate that the widespread piracy somewhat helps MS to dominate the market? Just putting it out there ;)

Last edited:

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
If Office was made more affordable and Windows made more affodable, you would see a drop in piracy of these products.

Spooner

Good thing a car comes with a engine or else you would have put a 1300 vw engine is a Ferrari right?
hahaha yeah this one gave me a smile

If you look at the price of Windows its almost as much as the PC itself. And for what reason? I work in an IT store that sells genuine Microsoft software and do they know how much the IT industry loses in lost sales each year just because their prices are so inflated? Client's hear the cost of Windows and they turn around and walk out. Our store alone has lost countless thousands alone on lost sales due to the cost of the Windows alone.

Avenue

Expert Member
stop piracy, use linux
im just waiting for this linux steam client to take off so that I can finally be done with windows altogether.
The BSA also reported that 35% of all software in South Africa is pirated. If this were reduced to 25% in the next four years, the research suggests that it could create an additional R6-billion in economic growth and R480-million in additional tax revenues in South Africa.
thats only if all those pirated products translate into sales. most who pirate photoshop for example would not fork out R15000 if they could no longer go illegal.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The BSA also reported that 35% of all software in South Africa is pirated. If this were reduced to 25% in the next four years, [highlight]the research suggests that it could create an additional R6-billion in economic growth[/highlight] and R480-million in additional tax revenues in South Africa.
Wow that's incredible, it actually sounds too good to be true, I would like to know how this research was conducted and how such amazing conclusions were made.

As for the software pirates, especially those that are pre-loading pirated Windows with malware, please do track them down and hang them upside down with fishing hooks attached to their scrotums. I recommend starting in Little Nigeria (Hillbrow).

And ditto to using Linux.

RVQ

Expert Member
I often wonder how the software market would look in a world where everyone bought software.

Would MS still have such a widespread use of its product or would Linux and projects like OpenOffice/LibreOffice be given a lot more support from the start and be completely different to what they are today. Could one speculate that the widespread piracy somewhat helps MS to dominate the market? Just putting it out there ;)
Had the same thought, if piracy was impossible then surely a lot more machines would be running free software tipping the scales in the favour of Linux...

Necuno

Court Jester
Piracy of Windows and Office in SA

Illegal copying of Microsoft products puts users at risk; costs legitimate resellers and industry
/dons cheerleader suit

gggggggggggooooooooooooooooo j-j-j-j-eeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeemmmmmmmmmmyyyyyy p-p-p-pp-rrrrooommmme-e-e-e

/dons serious suit

Illegal copying of Microsoft products puts users at risk; costs legitimate resellers and industry
Lets not for get those wholesalers and resellers that puts our wallets at risk, maybe it is time for the man before and in the wholesaler stops lining his pockets or less jam for certain resellers.

Finally coming back to the source, well at R400 a pop vs R1k or more you might sell more windows/office.

However people will still copy even if the software is R1, I mean piracy isn't stealing. All hail CTRL+C, all hail CTRL V

Last edited:

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I'm surprised no one mentioned that windows 8 tries to combat the whole piracy thing by tying there "market" with your msn account, but then again I dont see any one willingly wanting to upgrade to windows 8 anyway.

Will support 7 till its EOL or it starts showing its age, then switch to something free like Linux Fedora (been running a Fedora server for years now at home,so its only logical )

BTW Monique dear, can I get a nice printed manual with my next copy of Windows please, like we used to get with DOS 3.3. That way I won't need to make use of your non-existent support.
+1 I still consult my Dos manuals from time to time when writing complex dos batch files(Yea I still do that and its amazing how much you can actually do in a batch file if you know what your doing)

Necuno

Court Jester
I'm surprised no one mentioned that windows 8 tries to combat the whole piracy thing by tying there "market" with your msn account, but then again I dont see any one willingly wanting to upgrade to windows 8 anyway.

Will support 7 till its EOL or it starts showing its age, then switch to something free like Linux Fedora (been running a Fedora server for years now at home,so its only logical )

+1 I still consult my Dos manuals from time to time when writing complex dos batch files(Yea I still do that and its amazing how much you can actually do in a batch file if you know what your doing)
Their?

That windows RT you talking about :whistling: