Windows Live SkyDrive (25GB Free Online Storage)

TheBossMan

Expert Member
http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=BAN_MSCOM_HPF_WL_SD_01072009

Welcome to Windows Live SkyDrive Help
Store, organize, and download your files, photos, and favorites (A website whose web address is saved on your computer or an online server so that you can access it quickly and easily.) on Windows Live servers for free. Share photos and files that you create with your friends, collaborate on documents, or display photos and files that you create to anyone on the Windows Live network (A group of people someone communicates and shares with on Windows Live. Someone's network includes people they've added to their profile, to their Messenger contacts, or both. People in someone's network can see information about their latest activities in the what's new list, and may see other information, depending on permissions settings.) . When you sign in to the Windows Live SkyDrive website with your Windows Live ID (The e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE, MSN, and Office Live; and other places where you see the Windows Live ID logo.) , you get:

•Storage: Store up to 25 gigabytes (GB) of photos and files. The SkyDrive storage meter shows how much storage space you've used.
•Organization: Arrange your files in top-level folders (A folder that appears in the Documents, Favorites, or Photos sections on the Windows Live SkyDrive home page. Also known as a root folder.) and subfolders (A folder that you create inside a top-level folder.) that you create.
•Control: Choose permissions (A setting that lets you limit who can see and download files from your folders.) for each top-level folder that you create. Keep your photos, files, and favorites in personal folders (Only you can view or edit files in this top-level folder. You can use personal folders to store private files.) so only you can access them; in shared folders (Only you and people that you select can view photos and files in this top-level folder. For each person that you allow to access the top-level folder, you can assign the role of reader or editor.) so you can share them with your Windows Live network, your extended network (The people in your network on Windows Live—your Windows Live Messenger and profile contacts—plus the profile contacts of the people in your network.) , and people on your contact list (A list that contains the name and e-mail address of each of your contacts.) ; or in public folders (Anyone on the Internet can view photos and files in this top-level folder, but only you can edit the photos and files.) so that they can be viewed by anyone on the Internet.
•Convenience: Keep track of your favorite websites even when you aren't using your own computer.
•Flexibility: Upload any photo or file up to 50 megabytes (MB) in size, and move, copy, delete, rename, and caption your photos and files after you upload them.
•Display: Photos saved as the JPG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, TIF, and TIFF file types (A standard way of storing information on a computer by using the last three letters of a file name, known as the file extension, to indicate the file type. Different programs use different file extensions.) display with thumbnail (A miniature version of an image or electronic version of a page that is generally used to allow quick browsing through multiple images or pages.) images, and can be viewed by other users on SkyDrive or in an online slide show, if they have the right permissions to view them.
•Sharing: Share links directly to your folders, files, and photos, or embed your photos and files in your blog (Short for weblog. An online journal. Each entry typically contains personal thoughts and web links, with the newest entries listed first.) or webpage. You can also let people know you've added their picture to SkyDrive by adding people tags (Textual data attached to a photo to refine its definition and meaning by identifying the person or persons in the photo.) .

krycor

Honorary Master
Apparently Google drive is due shortly too.. i wonder if this will speed it along :p

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Kill your cap in a day kind of sites! :p

... and Telkom thinks that 3 Gigs is still more than enough for the "average user"

DearHeart

Expert Member
I wonder if this is available on local bandwidth, like the local Akamai servers that the Windows 7 beta can be downloaded from? I'm about to be capped, will check later on...

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Who would want their personal data to be out there on the web where it can easily be found?

Uli

Expert Member
I think it will be cheaper just to buy a new hard drive if you ask me...

cerebus

Honorary Master
I use livedrive, it's one of the best Microsoft online products IMO.

diabolus

Executive Member
I wish Microsoft can start integrating all their services. I actually use Live Mesh more than Skydrive [both microsoft products]

http://www.mesh.com . You get 5GB , but the real purpose of Live Mesh is to synching local<-->online<-->other PCs/Mobiles . You just copy something into a mesh folder [on your pc or mobile] and it will sync everywhere including online. This works amazing for things like pictures.

Now if MS can wake up somewhat and just throw Skydrive's linking and space in with mesh and it you got pretty amazing package.

kaaskop

Expert Member
Mebbe for big companies but for the home user its a waste. Lets say R50/gig times 50 .....one lekka terabyte drive for ya with change.

Once its been uploaded and you need it again........