Windows Phone number 2 in South Africa? Hang on, Microsoft

Arthur

Honorary Master
The author in both the article and the link above says Microsoft "claimed that Windows Phone is the second most popular mobile operating system in 14 markets, including South Africa". But when you read the entire text from Microsoft (as published by the author), nowhere does MSFT make that claim about SA.

What it does say that WP was the No 2 in Q3 according to the IDC, but to link it to the more general statement that it's No 2 in 14 markets is fatuous.

What gives?

Please publish the text where those claims are made by MSFT, or correct the article, because it's erroneous or dishonest. The fact that it's repeated twice leads one to suspect there's an animus at work.

Last edited:

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The author in both the article and the link above says Microsoft "claimed that Windows Phone is the second most popular mobile operating system in 14 markets, including South Africa". But when you read the entire text from Microsoft (as published by the author), nowhere does MSFT make that claim about SA.

What gives?

Please publish the text where those claims are made by MSFT, or correct the article, because it's erroneous or dishonest.

Links incoming. Microsoft later provided the list of markets in question, which you'll be able to find on Neowin and elsewhere. After I win this battle against my browser I'll hunt them down for you...

Arthur

Honorary Master
Links incoming. Microsoft later provided the list of markets in question, which you'll be able to find on Neowin and elsewhere. After I win this battle against my browser I'll hunt them down for you...
Neowin (which I read) quotes won't help - they can also misquote or get it wrong. You need to provide MSFT's statements.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'm with Arthur at this stage, since I also did not see any statements, but only this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ws-phone-outsells-the-iphone-and-why-it-does/

This month Microsoft broke these areas down country by country and confirmed exactly where Windows Phone is specifically outselling the iPhone. The list reads as follows:

Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ecuador, Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Kenya, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.

Interestingly in 14 of these markets – Chile, Czech Republic, Finland, India, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, South Africa, Thailand, Ukraine, Vietnam – Windows Phone has taken second place in the sector, stepping past former strongholds for BlackBerry and Symbian which had also previously edged out iOS.

Furthermore, the context for this data is solid. It comes from global smartphone sales in Q3 2013 by independent market analyst IDC, which also points out Microsoft only led iPhone sales in seven countries in Q3 2012. Sales are also up 156 percent during the last 12 months, triple Android’s annual

Would like to see the IDC report.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Neowin (which I read) quotes won't help - they can also misquote or get it wrong. You need to provide MSFT's statements.

Agree with this. The only source of this list is Neowin. Microsoft themselves have only stated that they are the #2 mobile OS in Latin America.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Here's a link to the TNW post: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...hone-units-shipped-iphones-24-markets-q3-2013

Did they get it wrong too?

I am sensitive to the dangers of the echo-chamber of news, guys. Which is why I asked Microsoft for comment. Sadly, they didn't get back to me.

Not necessarily that they got it wrong, but the closest thing to an actual, official statement is a claim made by TechRadar. Maybe the headline should change, to one less clickbait-ey.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
All the MS fanbois rush to defend. In the words of our esteemed pres: "It wasn't me".

j4ck455

Executive Member
Windows Phone is the #2 smartphone operating system in 14 markets

I think it's factually correct because #1 takes the piss typically on #2 the poo which is Micosoft's Phoney OS.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Over a peroid of 6 months Windows Phone user base rose by around 120 000 that's pretty impressive, Android a even more impressive 450 000, while Apple a mere 50 000 and Blackberry a pathetic growth of 0. I woudn't be surprised if by the end of next year WP would have overtaken iOS.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
This is so typical Microsoft! According to them, Windows 8 is a good seller too but we know that their sales is this regard sucks!
They are trying to create the impression that other people are buying their stuff, so you should do the same!

markings

Expert Member
Reading the statement contextually the point raised it nit-picking.
My wife got a Lumia 520 and the OS on it does look good. If the app store has all the program I need I may consider a Windows phone for my next one.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Reading the statement contextually the point raised it nit-picking.
My wife got a Lumia 520 and the OS on it does look good. If the app store has all the program I need I may consider a Windows phone for my next one.

I do hope it gets more popular. I love WP8 and I would get it again depending on the quality of hardware of the phones MS brings out now that Nokia is no more.

garp

Executive Member
Used a Lumia for some months. Wouldn't pee on it if it caught fire. It looks pretty but it's the most frustrating phone os by far. Nowhere near the functionality of Android or iOS and the apps suck eggs. I honestly don't think the Windows phone devs actually use Windows phones themselves otherwise they'd just shoot themselves. Having said that, technologically challenged and/or stupid people seem to have an affinity for them, so it is quite possible that they may indeed have a large market share in this country.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Used a Lumia for some months. Wouldn't pee on it if it caught fire. It looks pretty but it's the most frustrating phone os by far. Nowhere near the functionality of Android or iOS and the apps suck eggs. I honestly don't think the Windows phone devs actually use Windows phones themselves otherwise they'd just shoot themselves. Having said that, technologically challenged and/or stupid people seem to have an affinity for them, so it is quite possible that they may indeed have a large market share in this country.

HEY!!!

Says the one that was outsmarted by a phone!