Windows XP support is ending - here's how to stay secure

Electron1

Expert Member
The best option is to replace the machine as it usually would be an older machine, more likely to suffer hardware failure as well as being more vulnerable over time.

10i

Expert Member
I dual boot Peppermint Linux and XP on my netbook. I need XP for iTunes (which I hate - for my iPod) and Corel Draw.

I have tried iTunes replacements on Linux, but they normally crash. I have about 60 GB worth of media on mine.

And my Canon scanner does not have Linux drivers.

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
The best option is to replace the machine as it usually would be an older machine, more likely to suffer hardware failure as well as being more vulnerable over time.

+1 Hopefully this weekend there will be good deals out there for new computers & notebooks you can even purchase a notebook preloaded with Windows 7/8 for R2000 there is no excuses to keep up-to-date with the latest OS!

One FET college I went to visit recently is still running Windows XP, was horrified! Nearly choked! Unresponsive machines

10i

Expert Member
Ever heard of Mediafour MacDrive?

I have not, will check it out.

Edit: I am not trying to access Mac formatted drives (what the media four website claims the app can do) I don't understand why you mentioned the app?

my iPod is formatted as a "windows" drive. What I really need is an app that can sync files on my iPod from Linux. I have a 120 GB iPod classic, if that helps.

Last edited:

Lightscribe

Banned
Sipping a wine and celebrating the demise of XP. Bye Bill. Linux just rocks!

For years I never bothered with Linux, even though I kept up to date with it's evolutions, through friends that were hooked from it's beginnings. I regret not having dived into Linux earlier, but then, Linux in all it's flavours, is right now, perfect for finally, easily, kicking the "bad habit" that is Windows. All the best to MS, but every word out of my mouth from now on will be in favour of Linux.

The last 2 weeks I looked at the latest distros and settled with Linux Mint cinnamon, Linux Mint Debian Edition and Ubuntu.

Been on a wireless, "no telkom last mile" solution for about a year now. Mission complete.

"Windows XP support is ending - here's how to stay secure"...Go Linux.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
FREE Windows XP support is ending.

e.g.

Dutch government pays millions to extend Microsoft XP support

The government of the Netherlands has struck a multimillion Euro deal with Microsoft to secure continued support for its Windows XP systems, according to a report published on 4 April in Dutch News.

According to the report, the deal will provide support for around 34,000 and 40,000 Dutch national government civil servants still using Windows XP machines until next January, when all government PCs are scheduled to be migrated to a new system.

It was announced last week that the UK government agreed to pay more than £5.6 million to Microsoft to continue its support for Windows XP by one year.