Windscreen Replacement Through Insurance

Zyk1

Expert Member
Due to stone chips and cracking, my windscreen needs replacing.
Insurance is paying for it but on further investigation I found out that they are replacing it with an aftermarket shatterpruf windscreen and not an original VW windscreen.
I have full comprehensive cover. Am I right to request the original VW windscreen and not accept the aftermarket one?

Naks

Expert Member
the VW-branded glass and the shatterpruf glass are usually the same - made in the same factory, same specs, etc.

VW just puts its brand on it and a 3x10^6% markup on it

Ecko_1

In the past I used to always insist on OEM VW windscreens when needing to replace a windscreen, but I later started accepting whatever the insurer opted for. I've used OEM, Shatterprufe, and some chinese brand that is used as OEM by VW China.

Too be honest, aside from the little sticker on the glass, I could not tell the difference.

Some insurers will waive the glass excess if you opt for a non OEM glass brand.

Zyk1

Expert Member
I read up on people having various quality issues with non OEM windscreens. Hence my concern.
Not sure if my rain and light sensors will be affected in any way. Also don't know how the wiper blades will function. Or if my warranty will be affected.
Think I'm just being paranoid but if I am paying comprehensive insurance I think I am entitled to OEM replacement parts.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I read up on people having various quality issues with non OEM windscreens. Hence my concern.
Not sure if my rain and light sensors will be affected in any way. Also don't know how the wiper blades will function. Or if my warranty will be affected.
Think I'm just being paranoid but if I am paying comprehensive insurance I think I am entitled to OEM replacement parts.
You are being paranoid
Check everything before leaving with your vehicle.
Make sure it's not Granmark and is the promised windscreen.
Glasfit or PG are still the best.

Your warranty or guarantee will not be affected

Your hands are tied in terms of the policy wording and their right to repair, replace or cash.

kagishokgaile

Yeah, that is nothing but paranoia. Everything on your car will work as is, without losing warranty or having things like rain sensors not work. Remember, an insurer will put you back in the exact position you were before your loss - not in a worse state.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Comprehensive has nothing at all to do with where the parts are sourced from.

They need only be to spec.

If the rain sensor doesn’t work you take it back and they need to sort it out.

Nithan15

Expert Member
My Golf 7 GTI was picked up by myself in November 2015 from the Deal had a huge ass crack about 11 days into owning the car, insurance fitted a Shatterprufe windscreen non VW branded and it worked fine no issues, auto light sensors, highbeam assist, rain sensors all worked fine for about the 4 years I owned the car.

PhireSide

Executive Member
My Golf 7 GTI was picked up by myself in November 2015 from the Deal had a huge ass crack about 11 days into owning the car, insurance fitted a Shatterprufe windscreen non VW branded and it worked fine no issues, auto light sensors, highbeam assist, rain sensors all worked fine for about the 4 years I owned the car.
It's strange how a car tends to pick up cracks and chips right after purchase.

I remember I got a huge chip in my windscreen two days into ownership of my i30. Back then I was still waiting for the EC registered plates, so when PG Glass repaired the chip their invoice (with the current temp numberplate) and my insurance details didn't match up so my insurance refused to pay for it.

Yeah yeah, it's only R250 or so, but just the actual audacity hurt me on a whole new level :ROFL:

Nithan15

Expert Member
It's strange how a car tends to pick up cracks and chips right after purchase.

I remember I got a huge chip in my windscreen two days into ownership of my i30. Back then I was still waiting for the EC registered plates, so when PG Glass repaired the chip their invoice (with the current temp numberplate) and my insurance details didn't match up so my insurance refused to pay for it.

Yeah yeah, it's only R250 or so, but just the actual audacity hurt me on a whole new level :ROFL:
My car was registered already, but I had the numberplates and disc in the boot was running around with the temp registration for 21 days :)

Moereloos

Had the windscreen on my wife's Tiguan replaced last week. At first the wipers would not switch off - it kept wiping intermittently while in 'auto' position. They sent someone out to 'repair' it and now the wipers are either off or at full speed. They will now (apparently) replace the windscreen with a genuine VW screen on Monday.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Had the windscreen on my wife's Tiguan replaced last week. At first the wipers would not switch off - it kept wiping intermittently while in 'auto' position. They sent someone out to 'repair' it and now the wipers are either off or at full speed. They will now (apparently) replace the windscreen with a genuine VW screen on Monday.
It sounds like they done goofed the rain sensor. Hopefully they don't cause any more damage

Zyk1

Expert Member
This is what I am afraid off as I have read many of these stories.
Anyways, received a quote from VW to replace windscreen. Sent this to insurance company. They gave me the option to pay me the value of the VW quote, which I accepted.
Just need to now make the appointment with VW to get it sorted.
BTW, mine is a Tiguan as well.