Winter is coming - To warm up or not to warm up before driving off?

Warm up or not before driving off?

• Turbo - YES

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Turbo or not - NO

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • All cars should be warmed up, regardless if turbo charged or not

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Modern Engines with modern oils dont require warm up, regardless if it has a turbo or not

Votes: 46 70.8%

• Total voters

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not sure if there has been a thread on this topic or not.

Anyway, with winter coming and engines being pretty cold now in the morning, do you believe that you need to start the engine and let it idle a bit before driving off, or is driving off with out any warm up fine as long as you dont stomp on the petrol like a maniac? Do turbos make a difference or not to this? Have modern engines made it redundant to warm up your car for 30 seconds or so before driving off?

In my car, when I start it up, the idle revs are much higher, about 1800 RPM and then after 30 - 60 seconds it goes down to 600-700 rpm. So now in the morning I start the car and wait for that to happen and then I drive off. Required or a waste?

jdido87

No need to warm up newer cars. Just dont hammer the thing. I heat up my seats immediately though.

ekske1

Executive Member
Not sure if there has been a thread on this topic or not.

Anyway, with winter coming and engines being pretty cold now in the morning, do you believe that you need to start the engine and let it idle a bit before driving off, or is driving off with out any warm up fine as long as you dont stomp on the petrol like a maniac? Do turbos make a difference or not to this? Have modern engines made it redundant to warm up your car for 30 seconds or so before driving off?

In my car, when I start it up, the idle revs are much higher, about 1800 RPM and then after 30 - 60 seconds it goes down to 600-700 rpm. So now in the morning I start the car and wait for that to happen and then I drive off. Required or a waste?
If winter is coming you have already done a good job at warming him / her up :whistling:

namzsteve

Expert Member
Drive off like a learner driver, max 3k on the revs, drive about 10km then I hammer her at my discretion.

gamer16

Executive Member
I give it a couple of minutes, usually go out and start it then go and grab my schite and lock the house. A good 2 - 3 minutes I'd say and I then drive calmly until the gauge has reached its peak, the only exception to this is when a damn taxi pisses me off then I may floor it past him.

Be kind to your motor and have some mechanical sympathy.

A good way to explain not driving vigorously from start is to think of how you would feel if you start jogging directly out of bed with no time to adjust.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I give it a couple of minutes, usually go out and start it then go and grab my schite and lock the house. A good 2 - 3 minutes I'd say and I then drive calmly until the gauge has reached its peak, the only exception to this is when a damn taxi pisses me off then I may floor it past him.

Be kind to your motor and have some mechanical sympathy.

A good way to explain not driving vigorously from start is to think of how you would feel if you start jogging directly out of bed with no time to adjust.
The engine is only one part of the puzzle, you can heat it up while idling as much as you want, your gearbox, clutch, brakes, etc. will all still be cold.

R13...

Honorary Master
Manufacturers actually warn against warming up. Other than pollution, it is apparently not good for your car's engine.

As1974a

2207 Aveo - I let it warm up for a couple minutes. School run so slow drive any but kids wanna be warm as soon as they get into the car. (and then i leave them in the cold and continue on in the warm car :p).

Without the kids, as soon as the idle settles a few seconds after start, i'm good to go.

nazmo

Depends. You can pretty much drive off after a few seconds of idling, the oil will be dispersed. What you shouldnt do is just hammer it. The car temp guage is 9/10 times the water temp, has nothing to do with oil. I usually put my RS monitor on, and wait for my gearbox and engine oil temps to get to a certain point before i go over 3000rpm, then 5000rpm.

gamer16

Executive Member
The engine is only one part of the puzzle, you can heat it up while idling as much as you want, your gearbox, clutch, brakes, etc. will all still be cold.
True

But these so far as I know are less susceptible to extra wear based on colder temperatures, things in the motor especially bearing are much more sensitive to it.

Ecko_1

Get the oil temp up to operating temp before driving enthusiastically. Everything else should be warm by the time your engine oil is up to optimal temp.

Cius

Executive Member
Not really required in SA conditions. In places that go below -20 definitely, but for other reasons. Then again in places like that you generally have a button at the breakfast table that turns your car on a few minutes before you leave. A mate of mine who lives in Edmonton explained it all to me, otherwise various things can freeze.