Wireless experts - I need a 700m 300mbps point-to-point link

Saajid

Expert Member
There are 2 buildings that are about 700m apart, each with its own internal network, that need to be connected. The plan is to merge the 2 networks into 1. There is a clear line of site between the buildings.

I need a very fast wireless connection between the buildings. At this stage, fibre is not option, as the buildings are separated by municipal roads, and copper theft is rife in the area (thieves can't tell the difference, and will still cut your fibre).

I am not sure what price ranges I need to be looking at, but I would like to have a 100mbps link as a minimum, but preferably 300mbps. The ultimate solution would be a 1gbps link, but I think that would be too costly.

Can anyone assist me with this? Please suggest hardware, approximate pricing, and any other details.

Thanks in advance.

Species8472

There are 2 buildings that are about 700m apart, each with its own internal network, that need to be connected. The plan is to merge the 2 networks into 1. There is a clear line of site between the buildings.

I need a very fast wireless connection between the buildings. At this stage, fibre is not option, as the buildings are separated by municipal roads, and copper theft is rife in the area (thieves can't tell the difference, and will still cut your fibre).

I am not sure what price ranges I need to be looking at, but I would like to have a 100mbps link as a minimum, but preferably 300mbps. The ultimate solution would be a 1gbps link, but I think that would be too costly.

Can anyone assist me with this? Please suggest hardware, approximate pricing, and any other details.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, if cost is not an issue you can get an AirFiber link for ~R30k Link

Over 700m you will get really good speeds.

Second best would be an AirMax link using 802.11AC, such as this one: Link

Timber_MG

R3k for that AirFibre link is cheap, though there were some issues in the field with them State side. If you look at Motorola and the like you'll be looking at a whole lot more.

It is best you get proper routing done between those two networks, no matter what the stated speed.

paul5186

Expert Member
If you are looking for a fibre replacement wireless link you would want to look outside of the commonly used 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz spectrum.

I would suggest 2 x 30cm 17ghz links +- R50000. Almost 100% intererference free, guranteed over 300Mbs full duplex depending on brand.

WietzJoubert

We provide the following wireless solutions depending on your requirements,
1.25Gbps Full Duplex Optical Wireless Links (Fibre over the air)
245 Mbps (Actual throughput) RedInity TDD 5.8Ghz Links (Quality of Service Options included for voice etc)
These links out perform most 300Mbps (802.11n) radios.

www.redlinetechnologies.net

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi, if cost is not an issue you can get an AirFiber link for ~R30k Link

Over 700m you will get really good speeds.

Thanks for the response. AirFiber looks interesting, but at R30k, I think it might be beyond my budget. The link you posted above puts the cost at R10,995. I'm assuming that's the price to dealers, and excludes VAT? Will I need two of these, or does it already include equipment for both ends?

What sort of speeds can I expect to get with the above AirFibre over 700m?

Second best would be an AirMax link using 802.11AC, such as this one: Link.

Again, same questions as above. Do I need 2 of these, and what speeds can I expect from the link?

Saajid

Expert Member
We provide the following wireless solutions depending on your requirements,
1.25Gbps Full Duplex Optical Wireless Links (Fibre over the air)
245 Mbps (Actual throughput) RedInity TDD 5.8Ghz Links (Quality of Service Options included for voice etc)
These links out perform most 300Mbps (802.11n) radios.

www.redlinetechnologies.net

Thanks for the response Wietz. If the first option is referring to a free-sapce optics (infrared laser) link, than it is way out of my budget. Cost will be over R200k based on quotations I've seen.

Please provide more details about the RedInity product, including pricing. This sounds like it might work, if the pricing is right.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Thanks for the response. AirFiber looks interesting, but at R30k, I think it might be beyond my budget. The link you posted above puts the cost at R10,995. I'm assuming that's the price to dealers, and excludes VAT? Will I need two of these, or does it already include equipment for both ends?

Again, same questions as above. Do I need 2 of these, and what speeds can I expect from the link?
That price is likely to be distributor prices excluding VAT. These units usually come with a pole mounting kit but you'd need to purchase and setup the actual pole yourself as that mounting kit includes the brackets and such for the unit, not the pole.

If you are going Airfibre be sure to make the poles' mountings beefy as those Airfibre units are rather heavy (16kg each).

WietzJoubert

Hi, The RedInity is our microwave product.
The RedInity-323 uses TDD and MIMO technology to emulate full duplex traffic over a half-duplex communication link.The proprietary TDD-based protocol greatly reduces the impact of long distances compared with other technologies and improves performance in high interference environments.

A complete link is included, with brackets and integrated antennas. Very easy to install.
I think we can do much better on the price as mentioned in some of the previous posts.
The weight is about 5Kg per transceiver and bracket.

MDE

Expert Member
@WietzJoubert do you have a link to the product?

Species8472

Hi, on CTWUG they installed an Airfiber link and are really impressed with the speeds. Here is a flyer from Scoop about the Airfiber: http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/mailshot/week366.html

Your performance is subject to your environment, but it looks like the kit is very noise resistant.

In both cases the price excludes VAT and you will need mounting equipment (poles, brackets, bolts, cabling, trunking, etc) hence my rough price of R30k. You can probably get away with as low as R26k

As for the Airmax kit I am not sure about the performance, it is a new product. I suggest it for the following reasons:
Ubiquity have consistently created very good and quite reliable products.
The dish has an extremely narrow beam and great noise isolation, so on 700m your link should perform well even in a noisy environment.
802.11AC will give you much higher bandwidth than 802.11N

I am not a wireless expert, more a hobbiest. If you don't have a budget capable of buying a new car you will probably not be able to afford enterprise level equipment :)

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep
Hi, on CTWUG they installed an Airfiber link and are really impressed with the speeds. Here is a flyer from Scoop about the Airfiber: http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/mailshot/week366.html

Your performance is subject to your environment, but it looks like the kit is very noise resistant.

In both cases the price excludes VAT and you will need mounting equipment (poles, brackets, bolts, cabling, trunking, etc) hence my rough price of R30k. You can probably get away with as low as R26k

As for the Airmax kit I am not sure about the performance, it is a new product. I suggest it for the following reasons:
Ubiquity have consistently created very good and quite reliable products.
The dish has an extremely narrow beam and great noise isolation, so on 700m your link should perform well even in a noisy environment.
802.11AC will give you much higher bandwidth than 802.11N

I am not a wireless expert, more a hobbiest. If you don't have a budget capable of buying a new car you will probably not be able to afford enterprise level equipment :)

Airfiber is an excellent product you will see 300mbps both ways at that range. 17ghz is even better but price is 100k for a decent link.

Go for a pair of nanobeam m5's at the range you will see 120-150mbps we just installed such a link for an office and it works nicely.

Stay away from Rocket AC and Powerbeam AC there are firmware issues currently although performance is mind blowing the link drops randomly and there are funny issues currently.

Saajid

Expert Member
With all of the above solutions, can the link be split in half, with each half serving two different networks?

So at site A we have Network A.1 (data & voice) and Network A.2 (CCTV) and at Site B we have Network B.1 (data and voice) and Network B.2 (CCTV). So we want to join Network A.1 with Network B.1 (lets call it the data/voice link), and Network A.2 with network B.2 (call this the CCTV link). The voice/data link will require QoS rules to give priority to voice. The CCTV link will just be used for viewing CCTV footage between the 2 locations (can be a lower quality feed, and delayed if necessary). So Site A will want to see CCTV footage from B (which is stored at Site B), while Site B will want to view CCTV footage from Site A (which is stored at Site A).

So the split could be 50/50, or even 60/40 or 70/30. Will any of the equipment above be able to do this, or will I need VLANs and a more intelligent router to handle this? I'd like to keep the 2 networks (data/voice and CCTV) physically seperated from each other, if possible, while using only one wireless link and one set of antennas.

paul5186

Expert Member
A Mikrotik rb2011 on both sides should be sufficient. You can mark traffic and assign queues or such.