Wireless industry disputes WHO report on cellphone cancer

Gladiator

Groups advocating the sale of cellphones or wireless devices would obviously protect their own by denying the WHO findings, Although the WHO was a bit too dramatic with the press release.

TJ99

Honorary Master
I bet everyone with their Power Balance bracelets and "radiation shields" on their phones are laughing now. Seriously though, these studies seem to flip-flop every few months, they say the risk is the same as coffee, yet last month another study said coffee prevents cancer, so does that mean cellphones prevent cancer? :confused:

grok

Honorary Master
Agree, this pisses me off. One article says yes, the next says no ways. Then it does, then it doesn't.
I know wireless pimps will refute everything 'cos it's their business but where is science's objectivity? Show me scientific proof and I'll adjust my habits accordingly, until then you're just irritating and wasting my bandwidth.

TJ99

Honorary Master
The cigarette companies also disputed the studies showing a definitive link between smoking and cancer.

True, but there it was Big Tobacco against pretty much every peer-reviewed scientific study ever. Here, it's far from unanimous. Big Cellphone aren't the only ones doubting the study:

It also noted that the US Federal Communications Commission “has concluded that ‘there’s no scientific evidence that proves that wireless phone usage can lead to cancer’” and that the US Food and Drug Administration has also stated that “‘the weight of scientific evidence has not linked cell phones with any health problems.’”

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Nobody in the mobile communications industry would be idiotic enough to accept, condone, give credence to any such finding. It would be a massive own goal. It would cripple the industry in one foul swoop. I say that where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there's just way too much noise about this for it to be ghosts in the closet.

If proved true, there will be massive class actions against them all. And then you'll hear mega bleating.