Witness Gets Hit-and-Run Merc's License Plate

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hours after media reports of a hit-and-run accident in Benoni, an eyewitness gave the car's registration number to the injured boy's parents, Beeld reported on Wednesday.

Joshua O'Callaghan, 11, and his grandfather, Lee Acorn, were attacked last Friday while they were fishing at the Kleinfontein dam in Benoni.

The boy ran away from the robbers and tried to flag down cars on the nearby N12 highway. A Mercedes Benz travelling in the emergency lane struck him. He sustained severe lacerations, bruising, and a broken leg.

Joshua's father, Trevor O'Callaghan, said he was relieved to have been supplied with the errant driver's registration details. He reported the matter to the Benoni police station.

According to witnesses, the driver of the Mercedes stopped, got out, looked towards where the child was lying on the tarmac, then got back into his car and drove off.

Source : Sapa /pk/aa/th
Date : 27 Mar 2013 08:45

Type RSA

Expert Member
Bastards!!!! I would hunt him down myself and drive over him!!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Sies!

Now he'll have to go to court and explain everything.

Serves him right.

Hope the poor boy recovers, it must've been very traumatic...

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
WTF being attacked then getting hit by a car - ag no man this must have been dreadful.

Hope they catch the fkr and he gets whats due to him and the attackers.

If only SA wasn't so violent.

ponder

Honorary Master
They should publish that registration number for starters.

nfbs

Expert Member
According to witnesses, the driver of the Mercedes stopped, got out, looked towards where the child was lying on the tarmac, then got back into his car and drove off.
busted. If he stopped and helped most probably nothing would happen to him since people are not allowed on the highway. The guy will now have to explain both why he drove off and why he was in the emergency lane.

DJ...

Banned
His lawyer will argue that it was far too dangerous to be stopped at the time and that he merely tried to find a safe place to do so but found himself too far from the accident at that point. Then shock kicked in, as well as regret and shame, blah blah blah.

Lock him up and hide the key in the pins in the kid's leg...

azbob

Honorary Master
Why did he stop to look initially? Probably didn't know that he hit a person. Stopped, saw it was a person, panicked and fled.

nfbs

Expert Member
His lawyer will argue that it was far too dangerous to be stopped at the time and that he merely tried to find a safe place to do so but found himself too far from the accident at that point. Then shock kicked in, as well as regret and shame, blah blah blah.
could have been feasible but he did stop on the highway and he did drive in the emergency lane so it doesn't seem he was too concerned with safety. Also did he report the matter to the police station or call an ambulance when he got home or a safe near place to stop like the nearest garage? I would not think so.

DJ...

Banned
could have been feasible but he did stop on the highway and he did drive in the emergency lane so it doesn't seem he was too concerned with safety. Also did he report the matter to the police station or call an ambulance when he got home or a safe near place to stop like the nearest garage? I would not think so.

He was in shock, was shameful, regrets his actions, has offered to pay for the lad's surgery and has shown true remorse. Could get off with a suspended sentence with the right defence. If I were his lawyer I'd suggest he hand himself over immediately to get the ball rolling on this true remorse defence...

nfbs

Expert Member
He was in shock, was shameful, regrets his actions, has offered to pay for the lad's surgery and has shown true remorse. Could get off with a suspended sentence with the right defence. If I were his lawyer I'd suggest he hand himself over immediately to get the ball rolling on this true remorse defence...
it was an accident so the Merc driver although an arse for driving away will probably just face a civil case.

DJ...

Banned
it was an accident so the Merc driver although an arse for driving away will probably just face a civil case.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offence afaik. The National Road Traffic Act allows for the following charges, according to roadsafety.co.za :

Reckless or Negligent Driving,
Inconsiderate Driving,
Disregard red traffic light (if applicable),
Failing to stop after accident,
Failing to ascertain nature and extent of injuries,
Failing to ascertain nature and extent of damages,
Failing to exchange particulars, etc.

The etcetera implying attempted murder charges and the like, I suppose. And considering he was driving in the emergency lane (an offence in and of itself), this brings up dolus eventualis once again. But since the taxi driver appeal, the precedent has been set that dolus eventualis no longer applies to traffic incidents. Pathetic ruling...

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Seems like the driver of the Merc was arrested. Saw it in one of yesterday's newspapers. An elderly gent it now turns out to be.

marine1

Honorary Master
I am surprised the merc driver did not say his car was stolen :rolleyes: