Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Now that the game is released everyone is like WOW!!! It is like no one noticed how the 'beta' testers bitched about the game's development, and yes, the developers put a lot back into the game, but a lot is missing which was promised. Now that the game is released it will be a patching cycle, but I see most are happy in the condition the game is released in.

I know some playing the game since way back when it was still named Umber or something like that, but I was hesitant in purchasing the title. See the price went up by a little bit, R175 to R219. They will probably release an expansion down the line to give those promises back to their community.

Surv0

Executive Member
Authentication servers are wrecked, offline mode only right now.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I had it in my wishlist for a while and bought it last night.

Keen to try it out. Rhykke's videos on it looks decent.

On that note I'm glad i didnt pay too much attention to beta testing so i dont know what i missed out on.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Bought the game some years ago, taking a break from POE till new league now so will give it a bash.

VooDooC

Got it just in time for the discount price yesterday, played it a bit offline last night and so far I'm quite impressed. Runs smooth, no major bugs or glitches that I've noticed so far and the gameplay itself is pretty decent. The graphics is also not too bad

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Now that the game is released everyone is like WOW!!! It is like no one noticed how the 'beta' testers bitched about the game's development, and yes, the developers put a lot back into the game, but a lot is missing which was promised. Now that the game is released it will be a patching cycle, but I see most are happy in the condition the game is released in.

I know some playing the game since way back when it was still named Umber or something like that, but I was hesitant in purchasing the title. See the price went up by a little bit, R175 to R219. They will probably release an expansion down the line to give those promises back to their community.
This is a misrepresentation. The reviews are okayish 7.5/10.
From what I can tell the bitching was because the developer changed the core of what the game was. Perhaps they were too ambitious with the open-world concept, who knows? If indeed they couldn't pull it off in a reasonable time then it was for the better. I do sympathize with those that backed one type of game and it turned it to be something else.

I backed Star Citizen LOL

I haven't played any of it so interested to check it out.

R4ziel

Expert Member
This looks intriguing, might have to check this out sometime

prOd

Expert Member

I think people are just aching for a nice ARPG again and that's why they are like WOW!!!. D4 is far away and by current bli$$ard standards...need I say more.

I played about 1hr of this last night, seems to be a nice balance between D3 and POE, borrowing elements from both. Feels a bit clunky though, needs some polishing

Arzy

Honorary Master
Started playing this when you could still swing the camera around instead of having a fixed view.

Will install it and play when I finish something else possibly.

R4ziel

Expert Member
How does this stack up to Path of Exile, does anyone know? Please note I haven't played POE or this, only played Diablo back in the day

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Wanted to buy this yesterday but thought I'll do it over the weekend, price jumped from R175 to R219 now.
Will wait for < R200 then buy.
I'm cheap like that!

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
How does this stack up to Path of Exile, does anyone know? Please note I haven't played POE or this, only played Diablo back in the day
Not sure if by Diablo you mean D3, however if you do - I'd say it's a very good amalgamation of POE and D3 atm.

You have a little more versatility in your skills and builds than you would have had with D3, skills are all visually pleasing so far, and quite fun to use from what I've experienced.
So far, gameplay is slower than POE's although I'm counting that as a win atm, as I don't particularly want another zoomzoom clone of POE atm, as that niche is already filled for me.

The passive skill tree is almost like a watered down passives tree from POE, although I haven't delved as much into it yet, I can see some cool builds and things coming along from there depending on what Uniques there are out there.

I believe I saw it stated somewhere that future content drops and expansions will be F2P, with their ongoing revenue model being MTX - So I'm pretty hopeful for some good build diversity and shenanigans.

Also for those who have tried out POE before and found it too complex - Wolcen seems to be more complex than D3, but vastly less complex than POE so far (I'm still early stages atm, but I don't actually think it's possible to brick a build as easily as you can in POE if you don't know what you're doing)

R4ziel

Expert Member
Not sure if by Diablo you mean D3, however if you do - I'd say it's a very good amalgamation of POE and D3 atm.

You have a little more versatility in your skills and builds than you would have had with D3, skills are all visually pleasing so far, and quite fun to use from what I've experienced.
So far, gameplay is slower than POE's although I'm counting that as a win atm, as I don't particularly want another zoomzoom clone of POE atm, as that niche is already filled for me.

The passive skill tree is almost like a watered down passives tree from POE, although I haven't delved as much into it yet, I can see some cool builds and things coming along from there depending on what Uniques there are out there.

I believe I saw it stated somewhere that future content drops and expansions will be F2P, with their ongoing revenue model being MTX - So I'm pretty hopeful for some good build diversity and shenanigans.

Also for those who have tried out POE before and found it too complex - Wolcen seems to be more complex than D3, but vastly less complex than POE so far (I'm still early stages atm, but I don't actually think it's possible to brick a build as easily as you can in POE if you don't know what you're doing)
Thanks for this, yeah I meant D3, which felt like I was just doing the same thing over and over again and all that happens is the enemies have more health. Will watch a few videos on this to see whether Ill like this or not

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
Thanks for this, yeah I meant D3, which felt like I was just doing the same thing over and over again and all that happens is the enemies have more health. Will watch a few videos on this to see whether Ill like this or not
I'm probably no where near end-game at this stage, but generally that's what it boils down to in most ARPGS, although POE does have a lot more variety at end-game than most.

the combat itself so far feels very fluid and fun tho, you're also not restricted to one class at all - you could theoretically play as anything on the one char - Respecs don't seem to cost a lot (Not sure yet if price goes up per use atm, I've noticed it going up by level/allocations so far though)

Skills drop kinda in the same way POE gems do, you can then learn them, and if they're actively slotted in your bars will gain exp (otherwise you can spend Affinity, which is gained by selling other skills / consuming duplicates).

ATK and Spells also share base stats, so you could theoretically be a two-hander bro smashing things then throwing out fireballs given the right items (Skills are divded into three categories, Melee, Ranged, Spells - With the caveat being that you need to use a staff for example to cast fireballs, although I'm sure there'll be uniques out there to get around this)

I'm hopeful for this game, it seems quite fun, I don't see it taking up nearly as much time as POE does for me, but it'll definitely be a nice ARPG to fall back to when I get bored/burnt out of leagues.

Forum Reader

I think also one must be careful when watching game reviews comparing different games. Seen a few where they compare 2013/2014 Path of Exile to Wolcen. These reviewers probably only played Path of Exile back then. 2020 POE is a vastly superior game to 2013/2014 POE so their comparisons won't hold true. The game is constantly being improved every few months with a bigger update once a year or so.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I haven't played enough Wolcen to compare, but very briefly: Wolcen's network code seems to be directly synced with server-side calculations (PoE has an option for a predictive VS synced mode). Anyway, the bottom line of this seems to be that (unless the issue is due to server launch issues), I've written Wolcen off as a multiplayer game, as the delay between hitting/casting is completely unplayable (whereas with the same ping in PoE, no issues). Single-player, on the other hand, is fine (although there is a bit of a weird delay it feels at times, but I need to play more). That said, I'm happy to play single-player, personally, as long as I'm not missing out on anything (which at this point I don't know, as I've only briefly looked at the game).

There are quite a few bugs, and some niggly things with the controls - The game is sort of based around you using an auto/default attack, which is bound by default to mouse 1 and cannot be changed, which has some weird ramifications related to walking and attacking, etc. It feels a bit awkward.

Generally though, it looks good (as in literally, this is the best looking ARPG we've ever seen in terms of visuals), gameplay is good, and as long as they continue to develop the game and fix the various issues, it's the best new ARPG we've seen in many years.

Compared to PoE... I don't think you can, to be honest. PoE is simply so huge and developed and continues to be be developed at such a rapid pace, it would be unfair to compare the two. That said, I see them as very different products at this point. If Wolcen shapes up to be worth playing, if not necessarily the absolute pinnacle of the genre, I'm pretty sure it will serve well to kill time towards the end of PoE leagues, which is great!

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Played a few min - first impressions:

Wow, it's buggy! Menu bug and videos borked on 3440 widescreen - haven't even started playing yet!
The controls are extremely clunky.

But damn, the atmosphere and demon theme is so damn good. I'll suffer through the mostly unenjoyable controls to see where they take the story.

EDIT: DID I SAY THE CONTROLS ARE CLUNKY? I'M DRIVING A 5TON CHARACTER OVER HERE!

Last edited:

Voicy

Honorary Master

Gonna give this a try purely because I have no clue otherwise. Other option I'm keen on is a bit of a tanky build but not sure what build to base it on.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Bought it. Needs a lot of polishing before it can compare to D3 or POE. Praying that they get it right.