Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

xcaliber

Expert Member
Bought it. The one hour I played is fun. Sucks that the servers are down so can't log in to play now.

For the price its well worth it.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Bought it. The one hour I played is fun. Sucks that the servers are down so can't log in to play now.

For the price its well worth it.
How was the latency - When I tried it was unplayable. That said, I'm happy to play single-player, as far as I can tell there's no reason for multiplayer, unless you want to play with other people, and there does not seem to be much of a trade system (if any).

Forum Reader

Played for about 4 hours with a spellcaster. Chain Lightning with focus on pure ailments. Gameplay is good and game looks really good. First impression is that it is much better than POE for South Africans because of the offline mode (if you don't care about playing with others). Skill system and tree is interesting with enough depth and options.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Now that the game is released everyone is like WOW!!! It is like no one noticed how the 'beta' testers bitched about the game's development, and yes, the developers put a lot back into the game, but a lot is missing which was promised. Now that the game is released it will be a patching cycle, but I see most are happy in the condition the game is released in.

I know some playing the game since way back when it was still named Umber or something like that, but I was hesitant in purchasing the title. See the price went up by a little bit, R175 to R219. They will probably release an expansion down the line to give those promises back to their community.
I will see if it wows me now as I have been with the project since its initial ea on steam. Things are better since their recent beta when compared to its previous forms, but it didn't just rock my ****ing socks off. In fact, my recent playthrough of grim dawn was a lot better. Still, now that it's finally out of ea I will give it another shot. I think it's going to be just more arpg, which isn't always a bad thing, it's just not that thing we are are looking for. I mean I still got van Hellsing to play through...

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Played for about 4 hours with a spellcaster. Chain Lightning with focus on pure ailments. Gameplay is good and game looks really good. First impression is that it is much better than POE for South Africans because of the offline mode (if you don't care about playing with others). Skill system and tree is interesting with enough depth and options.
It's really a buggy mess, but even so I like it more than POE. The world is much more interesting.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I will see if it wows me now as I have been with the project since its initial ea on steam. Things are better since their recent beta when compared to its previous forms, but it didn't just rock my ****ing socks off. In fact, my recent playthrough of grim dawn was a lot better. Still, now that it's finally out of ea I will give it another shot. I think it's going to be just more arpg, which isn't always a bad thing, it's just not that thing we are are looking for. I mean I still got van Hellsing to play through...
During the pre-release phases, the early phases, the developers were in touch with their community and the developers made an unprecedented move by going against the community collaboration. As I said, they brought many things back with the release.

As the game is now, it was a much nobler concept during the early phases the direction they wanted the game to be developed in. It is still being actively developed, so there is that, but at this stage, it is patching.

Oh, and I remembered the early name, Umbra.

Last edited:

Forum Reader

It's really a buggy mess, but even so I like it more than POE. The world is much more interesting.
Just finished the first Act boss just now at lvl23. Had only one bug in all that time where the game kept crashing in the same area (Smugglers Cavern) so I could never progress. After 3 crashes in that area I just reduced the video settings to High instead of Very High and had no more crashing.

I'm playing offline though so maybe it's less buggy.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Just finished the first Act boss just now at lvl23. Had only one bug in all that time where the game kept crashing in the same area (Smugglers Cavern) so I could never progress. After 3 crashes in that area I just reduced the video settings to High instead of Very High and had no more crashing.

I'm playing offline though so maybe it's less buggy.
Also playing offline - and the ultimate bug just hit me and set me back about 3 hours of gameplay. I checked and it's happened to quite a few others as well.

I was in Act2 with the lamda thing and now I'm back at finding Val. Wel sht :)
P.S Also playing a spellcaster. Pew pew pew! Anomaly and the liver Mortis (LOL) is OP!

Edit: Whoa and set me back again. The game is great fun, but too bugged at the moment. Will check back later when they've hopefully fixed it.

Last edited:

Forum Reader

Also playing offline - and the ultimate bug just hit me and set me back about 3 hours of gameplay. I checked and it's happened to quite a few others as well.

I was in Act2 with the lamda thing and now I'm back at finding Val. Wel sht :)
P.S Also playing a spellcaster. Pew pew pew! Anomaly and the liver Mortis (LOL) is OP!

Edit: Whoa and set me back again. The game is great fun, but too bugged at the moment. Will check back later when they've hopefully fixed it.
Think I've got the same bug now. Played all the way to near the end of Act 2. Around 80% of the way I think. Decided that's enough for today as load shedding starts in 20 mins. So exited the game after hitting a new waypoint. Went back in to check if I got the bug. Yep, I was back in the opening cutscene and tutorial mission in Act1. Apparently you can edit the save file to fix it so will try to do that tomorrow. If not then I'm done with this game for now.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Think I've got the same bug now. Played all the way to near the end of Act 2. Around 80% of the way I think. Decided that's enough for today as load shedding starts in 20 mins. So exited the game after hitting a new waypoint. Went back in to check if I got the bug. Yep, I was back in the opening cutscene and tutorial mission in Act1. Apparently you can edit the save file to fix it so will try to do that tomorrow. If not then I'm done with this game for now.
Kinda weird that a basic feature like saving, even offline, doesn't work.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I really would like to enjoy the game, and it's good in some ways - Graphics are top-notch, combat and animations are excellent and smooth (in offline mode), sound design is impactful... That said, the game feels very rushed, the story is pretty much impenetrable (not that I care, I've played about 5K hours in PoE, and still don't really know the story), but ultimately, the biggest problem is that the game feels so buggy, it's hard to know whether skills are even working as intended or not.

I've got a node that ostensibly increases my damage when I hit an enemy afflicted by a specific ailment - There is no indicator, that I can see, anywhere, to show when, or if, this is active. I don't see any indicators of your character buffs, aside from perhaps a random aura if you click on a shrine, etc. Basically, I don't trust the game to do what it says, when it comes to skills and passives, and this is huge problem when trying to figure out a new game with mostly undocumented systems (and especially so, given Wolcen's rather bizarre, yet certainly interesting, resource system).

I also have a horrible suspicion that the loot game is going to get boring, and I have no idea as yet if the end game is rewarding or not. You apparently end story mode at around level 37, and max level is 90. That's a lot of space to fill, and if it's just for the sake of leveling, what do you do after that?

Also, the bind they've gotten into with making auto-attack the default unchangeable right-mouse click. Oof.

All that said, it has promise, for sure. The studio is going to have to work their asses off though to get it where it needs to be, to be anything more than a distraction between now and Diablo 4, PoE 2 (and preceding new leagues) and any other contenders on the horizon. I want it to be excellent, but so far I am cautious about how it's going to play out.

Forum Reader

Gave up on spellcasting as the game is now crashing a lot when too many things blow up. Got the game updated which apparently fixes the broken quest save with the game restarting at Act1. Trying out a melee build instead. If I encounter more crashes I'll just quit and come back in 6 months when everything is hopefully fixed.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I really would like to enjoy the game, and it's good in some ways - Graphics are top-notch, combat and animations are excellent and smooth (in offline mode), sound design is impactful... That said, the game feels very rushed, the story is pretty much impenetrable (not that I care, I've played about 5K hours in PoE, and still don't really know the story), but ultimately, the biggest problem is that the game feels so buggy, it's hard to know whether skills are even working as intended or not.

I've got a node that ostensibly increases my damage when I hit an enemy afflicted by a specific ailment - There is no indicator, that I can see, anywhere, to show when, or if, this is active. I don't see any indicators of your character buffs, aside from perhaps a random aura if you click on a shrine, etc. Basically, I don't trust the game to do what it says, when it comes to skills and passives, and this is huge problem when trying to figure out a new game with mostly undocumented systems (and especially so, given Wolcen's rather bizarre, yet certainly interesting, resource system).

I also have a horrible suspicion that the loot game is going to get boring, and I have no idea as yet if the end game is rewarding or not. You apparently end story mode at around level 37, and max level is 90. That's a lot of space to fill, and if it's just for the sake of leveling, what do you do after that?

Also, the bind they've gotten into with making auto-attack the default unchangeable right-mouse click. Oof.

All that said, it has promise, for sure. The studio is going to have to work their asses off though to get it where it needs to be, to be anything more than a distraction between now and Diablo 4, PoE 2 (and preceding new leagues) and any other contenders on the horizon. I want it to be excellent, but so far I am cautious about how it's going to play out.
I find this fascinating. What is it that makes you return? The mechanics? Ritual? Comfort zone?

Forum Reader

One good thing about the game is that gear doesn't have stat requirements. So can easily swap between builds with the same gear. Eg. I'm focusing on Ailment chance so all gear has that mod. Can use the same gear for my spellcaster vs my melee build if both are focusing on ailments. Just have to swap the weapon. Finished Act1 with my melee build last night. Will see if I have the same bug again in Act2. Bladestorm skill is really fast for clearing so the melee build is actually a bit faster than the previous spellcaster. Also didn't go into that second wind/death recovery a single time, even with the Act1 final boss which is a cluster****.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I played about 4hrs. Really enjoying the game - made an offline char. Didn't know I couldn't take him online, but that's not a trainsmash.

Went for a tanky char. Sword & Board. But I'm keen to explore more with the skill tree.

Are you guys going to focus on offline or online?

xcaliber

Expert Member
I played about 4hrs. Really enjoying the game - made an offline char. Didn't know I couldn't take him online, but that's not a trainsmash.

Went for a tanky char. Sword & Board. But I'm keen to explore more with the skill tree.

Are you guys going to focus on offline or online?
Going to only focus online.

Have a bad habit of wanting to edit my offline save files.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I find this fascinating. What is it that makes you return? The mechanics? Ritual? Comfort zone?
The amount of hours, or the fact that I don't know the story, really, after all that time, or both?

In any event, easy enough to answer it all. Why so many hours? Well, game has been out since 2013, and there are not many options for Diablo style ARPGs, a gap which PoE has filled better than anything else, and it's really the only game genre I enjoy (and I've tried all the ARPGs out there). It's updated regularly, with economy resets every three months (in addition to stacks of new content with each cycle).

That said, I'd love nothing more than for there to be other similar games to play. There just haven't been, outside of, perhaps Grim Dawn, and for a while Diablo 3, once it had been 'fixed', although both lack the sort of longevity that PoE provides.

Basically, it's the pinnacle of the genre at the moment, and there are no alternatives to it.

As for story, - it's an old game, and has been incrementally updated, with many expansions, etc, and no huge budget for CGI intros and there was never a cohesive telling of the story, and I don't really care all that much, to be honest. I'm just in it for the dopamine.

R4ziel

Expert Member
The amount of hours, or the fact that I don't know the story, really, after all that time, or both?

In any event, easy enough to answer it all. Why so many hours? Well, game has been out since 2013, and there are not many options for Diablo style ARPGs, a gap which PoE has filled better than anything else, and it's really the only game genre I enjoy (and I've tried all the ARPGs out there). It's updated regularly, with economy resets every three months (in addition to stacks of new content with each cycle).

That said, I'd love nothing more than for there to be other similar games to play. There just haven't been, outside of, perhaps Grim Dawn, and for a while Diablo 3, once it had been 'fixed', although both lack the sort of longevity that PoE provides.

Basically, it's the pinnacle of the genre at the moment, and there are no alternatives to it.

As for story, - it's an old game, and has been incrementally updated, with many expansions, etc, and no huge budget for CGI intros and there was never a cohesive telling of the story, and I don't really care all that much, to be honest. I'm just in it for the dopamine.
I tried POE this weekend, after about 4 hours I was so overwhelmed with what I actually need to do, what the purpose is for me doing this and in general what the hell is going on. They don't teach you anything in that game it seems, and the interface is less than helpful 90% of the time