Woman called a terrorist for wearing a headscarf

trek_mambo

Actual Title: "Woman sues over headscarf" by News24

Move over "Mohamed the Teddy" her comes A Woman who was thrown into a jail cell for wearing a headscarf. Just another example of the great Human Rights the 'Land of the Free' has to offer.

Los Angeles - A Muslim woman arrested for riding a commuter train without a valid ticket has filed a federal lawsuit in the United States, claiming her religious freedom was violated when she was forced to remove her headscarf when she was taken to jail.

Jameelah Medina also said she was intimidated by a deputy who accused her of being a terrorist and called Islam an "evil" religion, according to the suit filed on Wednesday in US District Court by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

The suit names the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department and Deputy Craig Roberts of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

A message left with the San Bernardino sheriff's officials after business hours on Wednesday was not returned.

Los Angeles sheriff's spokespersom Deputy Bill Brauberger said he had not seen the suit and could not comment. Brauberger could not immediately say if Roberts was still part of the department. Attempts to find a home listing for Roberts were unsuccessful.

Medina, 29, a PhD student at Claremont Graduate University, was riding a commuter train from San Bernardino to the California State University, Los Angeles station on December 7 2005, when two officers asked to see her ticket, according to the suit.

Treated badly

"We don't dispute the basis of the arrest," said Medina's lawyer, Hector Villagra. "The issue is how she was treated. She wants to make sure no one else goes through what she went through."

After determining her ticket was invalid, the officers told her to get off at the next station, where a deputy would be waiting for her.

Roberts handcuffed Medina, put her in the back of a police car and began driving her to a jail. During the ride, Roberts berated Medina and Islam, according to the suit.

Roberts "accused Medina of being a terrorist and supporting terrorism. He stated that Muslims are evil ... and that the United States was in Iraq at God's direction to squash evil," read the suit.

At the West Valley Detention Centre in San Bernardino, Medina was forced to remove her headscarf despite several attempts to explain to a female deputy why she wore it, the suit said.

Many Muslim women wear a head covering, also known as the hijab, as part of their faith, believing their hair should not be visible to men outside the family.

After several hours, Medina was released without being charged or fined, her lawyer said.

Headscarf allowed in jail

"Two or three officers, including Defendant Roberts, saw her exposed without her headscarf during the course of that day," according to the suit.

The suit seeks unspecified damages and attorney fees.

Villagra said the federal prison system allows female Muslim inmates to wear the headscarf while in custody.

"If federal prisons can do that, there is no reason that San Bernardino sheriff's can't also," he said.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
aai yaai yaai. i can't say i'm surprised though :sick:
this seems to be more and more prevalent :sick:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Though.. they dont appear to have the death sentence for this one. I wouldnt even try compare them..

mercurial

MyBB Legend
the matter here is oppression. yes, she didn't have a ticket and she admits to guilt, but does that warrant abuse and religious bashing? no.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Yes, but the way its compared... arg ... forget it.. trying to talk reason here is just a waste of time. laters.

trek_mambo

Though.. they dont appear to have the death sentence for this one. I wouldnt even try compare them..
I can't remember that the Teddy Bear woman got killed.

The point is the degradation of Human Rights.

And for the 5 Stooges: Does this warrant Invasion of America? Because they definitely have nuclear weapons ;)

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Does this warrant Invasion of America? Because they definitely have nuclear weapons ;)
Go for it. It would be a remarkable example of Natural selection I think most of us here would appreciate.

vespax

Expert Member
Los Angeles. They are always have race/religion issues there. aka:Rodney King Riots.

Alan

Honorary Master
Yeah this sounds highly plausible :eek:

The guy just happened to go on a rant on the evils of Islam. In any case if he is found guilty (Dumbo it seems has aready passed judgement) then he should be fired.

Of course this only happens in big bad evil America in Dumbo's world:rolleyes:

Mike_De_Lange

I dont think her religious "rights" were violated. I shall start a religion that requires me to carry a 9mm with me where ever I go. Will it be a violation of my religious freedom if I am forced to unarm myself?

She's lucky she wasn't forced to strip down and frisked.

And intimidated or interrogated :rolleyes:

icyrus

Executive Member
Yawn.

Wait for the story to run its course before posting it as it is a waste of time in its current form.

Skeptik

Banned
I'm always amazed at how so many muslims scream about human rights abuses when their countries of origin are so repressive to everyone including non-muslims & christians. Try taking a bible to Saudi or going bare-headed in Iran or even Pakistan!!

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I dont think her religious "rights" were violated. I shall start a religion that requires me to carry a 9mm with me where ever I go. Will it be a violation of my religious freedom if I am forced to unarm myself?

that's the daftest thing i've heard this week. u beat alanf85 and that's....wow! did u miss the part where they forced her to remove her scarf? that's her religious right pal. go do some reading before you post nanas.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
"Two or three officers, including Defendant Roberts, saw her exposed without her headscarf during the course of that day," according to the suit.
Sjoe that must have scarfed her for life. :D

jab2

did u miss the part where they forced her to remove her scarf? that's her religious right pal.
How would you propose they see her face if only her eyes are visible? Show me any passport control where they will let you pass if only your eyes are visible.

MURH

thats disgusting man, you should be shot to death for that remark.
guys like you are cowards, you probably were never loved by yyour and parents and any chick you ever had launched you because you are such brainless cake.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
How would you propose they see her face if only her eyes are visible? Show me any passport control where they will let you pass if only your eyes are visible.
where does it say her entice face was covered? only her hair was covered. her face is clear to be seen.

icyrus

Executive Member
thats disgusting man, you should be shot to death for that remark.
guys like you are cowards, you probably were never loved by yyour and parents and any chick you ever had launched you because you are such brainless cake.
The irony of this post is delicious. Well done.