Woman in a vegetative state for a decade gives birth

Shaun108

Executive Member
I thought being in a vegetative state meant being in a prolonged coma?
Not necessarily. Coma means unresponsive to external stimuli along with deep sleep. Vegetative states differs in that the patient can respond to certain stimuli.

OCP

Expert Member
Not necessarily. Coma means unresponsive to external stimuli along with deep sleep. Vegetative states differs in that the patient can respond to certain stimuli.
So she could have been completely aware of what was happening to her?

Gordon_R

Executive Member
I thought being in a vegetative state meant being in a prolonged coma?
So she could have been completely aware of what was happening to her?
No, that would be a much higher level. There are several different (though not necessarily well defined) states: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disorders_of_consciousness

1.1 Locked-in syndrome
1.2 Minimally conscious state
1.3 Persistent vegetative state
1.4 Chronic coma
1.5 Brain death
Edit: There is a very broad range, from Steven Hawking with locked-in syndrome (only eyes could move but fully conscious), to brain-death where an organ donor is on a ventilator waiting for a transplant patient.

Edit: Accurate diagnosis is difficult, complex and expensive. Treatment options are limited, so sometimes palliative care only is provided, unless the family have clear choices to make.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
All male employees at a care facility, where a female patient who had been in a vegetative state for years gave birth, will have to provide DNA to police.
Police served a search warrant on Tuesday to get DNA from the male employees at the long-term care facility in Phoenix.
Hacienda HealthCare said it welcomed the DNA testing of employees.
"We will continue to cooperate with Phoenix Police and all other investigative agencies to uncover the facts in this deeply disturbing, but unprecedented situation," the company said in a statement.
The woman, who had been in a vegetative state for more than 10 years after nearly drowning, gave birth to a healthy baby on 29 December.
Officials from the San Carlos Apache tribe announced on Tuesday night that the woman was a member of their community and confirmed she was still in a vegetative state when she gave birth.
"On behalf of the tribe, I am deeply shocked and horrified at the treatment of one of our members," tribal chairman Terry Rambler said.
"When you have a loved one committed to palliative care, when they are most vulnerable and dependent upon others, you trust their caretakers.
Full story...
https://news.sky.com/story/dna-test...egetative-state-for-years-gave-birth-11602862

Moto Guzzi

Ok, if police and science cannot locate the culprit, the long wait comes to see who the baby looks like, may take some time.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Fair point. Maybe that’s his reason for resigning, but he’s making out that because he’s the boss he’s failed the patient.
Given the boards unanimous approval it seems he is the fall guy to appease the masses.
I wonder if the same board approves his spending and want him to curb it?

Currantly

I think I found the father:

The video, which was extensively shared on social media on Wednesday morning, shows the driver hand over a package to the customer. She then turns around to walk back inside the gates.

The driver can be seen watching the woman as he opens his fly and starts masturbating. The customer is completely oblivious to what is happening.

"Mr D Foods condemns the behaviour of the driver in the strongest possible terms and we sincerely apologise to the affected customer. As soon as the incident was brought to our attention, the driver was identified and his contract has been terminated with immediate effect," said Devin Sinclair, head of Mr D Foods .

"We have been in touch with the customer’s family and have apologised to them directly for the driver’s unacceptable behaviour. We deeply regret the incident and will provide them with any information they require to take the matter against the driver further."

Sinclair said all Mr D Food drivers were subjected to a rigorous vetting process.
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...t-masturbating-outside-customers-home.999762/