Woman plunges 164 feet to death in tragic bungee-jumping accident

rvZA

Executive Member
A Colombian bungee-jumper plummeted to her death this week after a communications mishap caused her to leap off a bridge without a fastened cord.

"She got confused," Gustavo Guzmán, the mayor of Fredonia, told El Tiempo of the accident, which occurred Sunday in Amagá in northern Colombia.

First-time jumper Yecenia Morales, 25, and her unnamed boyfriend had traveled to the Amagá viaduct – a popular bungee spot – on an excursion organized by local company Sky Bungee Jumping, according to Newsflash. The two lovebirds were reportedly the 90th jumpers of the day when they approached the platform.

rvZA

Executive Member
She must have been really nervous for this jump, not realizing and jumping without a fastened cord...

fiddle_sticks

Geez. That's a horrible way to go. I thought they had to have a bar or gate that is meant to be closed until all is ready for the jump.

Jumper 91 must have had to wait a while before getting their jump in.

nightjar

Executive Member
100% negligence from the operator.
Not completely.
I would hope that a lawyer knew a little about her subject before diving into the job.
The absolute basic part is the need for a cord and she should have researched that.
But, apparently thinking the cue was meant for her, the young lawyer leaped off the bridge without an attached safety cord

George Netherby

Jumping off Bloukrans is sill the most terrifying experience I have ever had. Worse than jumping out of planes and stories high platforms into the dams outside Hermanus. Even thinking about it gives me a tingle under my feet. RIP lady!

Last edited:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I don't know much about bungy jumping, but doesn't the rope go around your ankles? That's how it's done around here, isn't it?

So not sure how she could not have noticed there wasn't any rope attached to her.

MirageF1

Executive Member
I read this news last night on my mobile.

Tragic circumstances, but I still cannot fathom how she never realised she wasn't secured to anything before leaping?!

Cray

Honorary Master
Jumping off Bloukrans is sill the most terrifying experience I have ever had. Worse than jumping out of planes and stories high platforms into the dams outside Hermanus. Even thinking about it gives me a tingle under my feet. RIP lady!
I've done the Bloukrans one too, one thing about that operation is how well organized it is, I can't imagine anything like the OP happening there.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Interesting.

She might have died even with the string attached.

Morales’ cause of death is still being investigated. While the 164-foot drop would be fatal on its own, medical reports suggest the first-time jumper had a heart attack during the free fall. It’s unclear whether she died before hitting the ground.