Woman shot dead in Bramley hijacking, car recovered in Alex

Sollie

Executive Member
That looks like complete lack of situational awareness. She took far too long to see the danger and try and drive off. People need to put their phones down and pay attention.
Really? Jirre boet, you must have x-ray eyes to see a cellphone.

She stopped at a red traffic light. It's the norm.
It's the norm for people to start walking as soon as a pedestrian light turns green.
It's also the norm for sellers to be in the road (despite laws and by-laws).
By the time things went south she could do f-all.

Our society is fscked up in South Africa. We have bleeding hearts when street vendors are fined, yet it's a known fact that these predators lurk among them. It also desensitizes us to the dangers of stopping.

Yet driving when she though things 'might' be wrong, hitting one, would have seen another circus and outrage.

Gratz to SAPS for the arrests. Unfortunately the horse had already bolted the stable. Years back criminal intelligence and informants were a thing that was acted upon, pro-actively.

Last edited:

Sean008

Expert Member
RIP to the victim. Well done Cops on arrests. Too bad no ‘suspects’ where shot and killed. Hope the remaining fckers who escaped meet with extremely painful deaths on or during rearrest

maumau

Honorary Master
BREAK THROUGH IN HIJACK MURDER OF FEMALE VICTIM YESTERDAY IN LONDON ROAD
JHB District Jhb North N CI:Operational Success:Operation Tornado

On 2019-11-15 at about 09:00, this office Cst Keohitlhetse and Cst Mathe were tasked to follow up information on the suspects video which was circulating with regard to a hijacking where the driver, a white female was shot and killed.
The members formed a task team with the Cluster Trio Team.

A tasking given was to identify the four suspects who appeared on the video clip.
Information was received that four of the involved suspects are sitting in a tavern at 4th Avenue and were using a combi and that they are from Kwa Msinga in KZN.
A joint operation was planned and Jhb Flying Squad and Jmpd members were contacted and were briefed at the Old Cluster Office and a joint operation was immediately launched at number 154 4th Avenue in Alexandra and members managed to arrest a total of 17 suspects and others managed to escape at the back.
All suspects were subjected to interrogation and only 6 of them were linked by Detectives to various crime scenes through CCTV footage as follows:
ALEXANDRA CAS USINESS Robbery at U-SAVE
BRAMLEY CAS Business Robbery at CHICKEN LICKEN
ALEXANDRA CAS which occurred on 2019-11-14, case no outstanding.
BRAMLEY Hijacking and Murder where the victim was shot and killed, case number is outstanding.
Suspects admitted to be involved in all robberies incidents and mentioned that there are other 6 suspects who managed to escape during the arrest.
The six of the arrested suspects who ran away are as follows :
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The three who have escaped and are part of the group are known as follows :
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The rest of the suspects could not be linked and were freed.
Investigation and gathering of intelligence continues.

Great job by police. What bothers me is they managed to capture 17, others escaped through the back (wonder what they were guilty of? ), ONLY 6 were found guilty of crimes!!!!!! WTF that's a third, nevermind the ones that got away.

That is not an encouraging statistic.

SAguy

Expert Member
Sounds like victim blaming to me...
Also felt that way about @pinball wizard comment originally, but he's not wrong - we don't have a choice in this country anymore but to always be alert, waiting for when it's our chance to got mugged, hijacked, raped, etc.

Is it the victim's fault, never.
Risk needs to be avoided or mitigated by always being prepared as far as possible though.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Great job by police. What bothers me is they managed to capture 17, others escaped through the back (wonder what they were guilty of? ), ONLY 6 were found guilty of crimes!!!!!! WTF that's a third, nevermind the ones that got away.

Some taverns, like some night clubs, harbour cream of the criminal world.

Sollie

Executive Member
Some taverns, like some night clubs, harbour cream of the criminal world.
Like Hydro Lounge in JHB, where the owner was arrested? Never really made the news even. Internationally this would have been front page stuff.

thechamp

Honorary Master

It looks to me like they went to the tavern and arrested everyone they found there, others managed to escape, after sifting through those arrested the managed to link some to crimes and others were freed.

It's not unusual for people to run away even if they are not guilty of anything, especially at a tavern.

Grant

Honorary Master
I'm wondering about the other vehicles in the vicinity. Did nobody notice what was going down at the time?

Solarion

Honorary Master
That looks like complete lack of situational awareness. She took far too long to see the danger and try and drive off. People need to put their phones down and pay attention.
Agreed. She could have easily escaped that situation. Her door wasn't locked either they simply opened it.

Once you become complacent and let your guard down that's when they will get you.

krycor

Honorary Master
Really? Jirre boet, you must have x-ray eyes to see a cellphone.

She stopped at a red traffic light. It's the norm.
It's the norm for people to start walking as soon as a pedestrian light turns green.
It's also the norm for sellers to be in the road (despite laws and by-laws).
By the time things went south she could do f-all.

Our society is fscked up in South Africa. We have bleeding hearts when street vendors are fined, yet it's a known fact that these predators lurk among them. It also desensitizes us to the dangers of stopping.

Yet driving when she though things 'might' be wrong, hitting one, would have seen another circus and outrage.

Gratz to SAPS for the arrests. Unfortunately the horse had already bolted the stable. Years back criminal intelligence and informants were a thing that was acted upon, pro-actively.
Pretty much what I wanted to say.. those okes came out fast. I suspect when they came to window she indicated (manual car?) she was gonna go but was shot.

Then they were just trying to get her out.. u can see on the road the window shattered before line.

I dunno this is scary as u can’t really preempt this.. people cross the road? And they shot as soon as they could. Maybe driving off faster.. but that requires auto car?

This is scary as hell as we occasionally go to the Modderfontuin Parkrun which is opposite Alex when you turn off highway.. don’t think I’d go that side anytime soon.

Checked vid again.. only chance she has was to risk it and drive/knock the guy when the guy was in front of her with gun.

Edit: that is London road/park run turn off.. f***

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
Agreed. She could have easily escaped that situation. Her door wasn't locked either they simply opened it.

Once you become complacent and let your guard down that's when they will get you.
They shot her.. I suspect they opened it themselves.

krycor

Honorary Master
I'm wondering about the other vehicles in the vicinity. Did nobody notice what was going down at the time?
The bukkie (high risk?) across the road did.. but when he saw she was shot and pulled out he buggered off. Taxi goes past too but they not gonna do anything.

Daruk

Honorary Master
...and then I see half the comments on Twitter are asking for the death penalty :X3: Not going to solve a thing, we need better policing and higher conviction rates for crimes.
For that we need bigger prisons.